I cannot view my Tapo cloud recording

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-28 01:04:55 - last edited 2023-11-01 02:55:32
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have a problem viewing my Tapo cloud recording. I have been unable to play the video, and it always tells me to refresh the screen. Last night, it was playable for an hour before it became inaccessible. Currently, I have a 10-day free trial subscription left, and I plan to buy premium subs. Is the problem is caused by my home internet connection or because my free trial going to end? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:I cannot view my Tapo cloud recording -Solution
2023-09-03 06:40:17 - last edited 2023-11-01 02:55:32

I figured out the problem I was having. For some reason I can't view in app cloud recordings if the VPN Kill Switch is enabled. Same issue on my iPhone. Don't know why.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:I cannot view my Tapo cloud recording
2023-04-03 11:52:02

@Farid_505i5 

Hi,
Generally, if you are within the Tapo Care free trial subscription period, the Tapo Care service won't be the reason that cause the play video issue.
Please confirm your camera and the Tapo app are up to date, and check if your home internet connection is stable and smooth.
Best Regards

Options
2023-04-14 05:05:37

@Solla-topee Thanks for the reply. I have found the problem, it was because my internet speed cannot support 2k resolution, and after I set it down to 1080p, the cloud recording is playable again.

Options
2023-04-14 08:31:21

@Farid_505i5 Hi, thanks for sharing your solution~

Options
2023-08-31 08:04:55

I'm having the same issue. I was recently able to view all cloud recordings within the app across all my devices (iPad 2022, iPhone 2022, android 2019). Now I am only able to view the recording within the app on the iPhone. I can still download and then view them from the memory on the iPad and android, but if I try to view them in the app, it just tells me "Tap to refresh". All cameras and apps are up to date. Kind of ruling out network issues as no changes has been made since it worked two days ago and the fact that it still works on the iPhone (using wifi).

Any ideas?

Options
2023-08-31 10:04:43

@Ron70 

Hi,
Thanks for the case report. Please help confirm the following information about the problem.

1. What's the OS version of your iPad and iPhone? What's the Tapo app version installed on them? And please check the model number and OS version of the Android phone, and the version of the Tapo app installed on it.

2. What's the model number and MAC address of your Tapo cam? You can send me the MAC address via private message. 

3. On the Android phone, please go to the Camera Settings>Advanced Settings>Display Settings page, select the Compatible Mode, and check if the problem is solved.

4. If you set the video quality to a lower one, can you watch the video recordings on the iPad and Android phone?

Best Regards

Options
2023-08-31 11:06:05

@Solla-topee Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

After some testing I have additional information that is somehow more puzzling to me. The problem I'm having is a mix of viewing recordings above 1080p and viewing recordings using a VPN connection. Here's some info along with how I've been troubleshooting it.

These tests were carried out on the same network, same VPN provider, same server, same protocol. All devices right next to the router.

iPad: OS 16.6. Tapo version: 2.18.0.

iPhone: OS 16.6. Tapo version: 2.18.0.

Android: N/A (see bottom line)

Speedtest using VPN:

iPhone: 289 Mbps. 34 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: All

iPad: 289 Mbps. 35 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: None

Android: 35 Mbps. 62 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: All 720p/1080p only

Speedtest without VPN:

iPhone: 349 Mbps. 13 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: All

iPad: 335 Mbps. 14 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: All

Android: 40 Mbps. 13 ms. - Can view in app recordings?: All 720p/1080p only

So the only inconsistency as I see it is in regard to the iPad.

If it is a VPN issue, I should not be able to view the recordings on my iPhone nor on my android device.

If it is a speed issue, I should not be able view the recordings on my android device.

PS: The issue for not being able to view recordings at above 1080p on the android solved itself by updating to the most recent Tapo version available (2.17.206).

Options
2023-09-01 08:02:18

@Ron70 

Hi,
Please describe your network diagram, such as the Internet--wireless router)))Tapo Cam, etc.
What's the model number of your router, and are your Tapo Cam and phones connected to the router's Wi-Fi directly or is there an AP/RE between them?

Please let me know the model number and MAC address of your Tapo cam. You can send me the MAC address via private message. 

How many devices watching the camera simultaneously when you did the test? 

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-02 12:23:51 - last edited 2023-09-02 12:47:07

@Solla-topee 

I am using my ISP's custom home central as the main source for my connections (Wi-Fi and cabled). For my Tapo cameras however, I am using my old ASUS RT-N66U in repeater mode. At the moment I have four Tapo cameras connected to that router and those are the only connected devices. None of the cloud recordings from any of those cameras can be viewed in app on my iPad (while connected to a VPN). And just to clarify, watching live feeds is not an issue.

I have two C100 and two C310 at the moment. Do you want the MAC address for all of them?

When I was doing the test I wasn't watching the cameras. It was just to troubleshoot if speed could be an issue.

Update: Did another test with my old iPad air. iOS 12.5.7. Tapo version: 2.16.105. I am able to view all recordings on that one while connected to same network and the same VPN as my other devices.

Options
Re:I cannot view my Tapo cloud recording -Solution
2023-09-03 06:40:17 - last edited 2023-11-01 02:55:32

I figured out the problem I was having. For some reason I can't view in app cloud recordings if the VPN Kill Switch is enabled. Same issue on my iPhone. Don't know why.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-09-05 11:28:54

@Ron70 Nice Sharing! yes  It seems the 'VPN Kill Switch' blocks the iPhone/iPad from streaming the cloud video recordings thus the error appears on the Tapo app.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 653

Replies: 10

Related Articles