Why do devices insist on connecting to Deco units that are further away and weaker signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why do devices insist on connecting to Deco units that are further away and weaker signal?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-04 22:20:36
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228

I have a main Deco P9 attached to my router in the living room, right next to my TV, Freesat box and Firestick.

I also have an ethernet cable from this main Deco, running to a network switch in another room. From that switch I then have two more ethernet wired Decos in different rooms (office and conservatory). (I also have a couple of S4 units in bedrooms upstairs).

The problem I get is that the TV, Freesat box and Firestick constantly connect to the Deco in the office (through a two foot stone wall and with a weaker signal), despite the main unit being immediatley next to the devices, and having a stronger signal.

Also, when I am in the office standing right next to the Deco unit and wearing my Pico 4 VR headset, instead of connecting to the office Deco, the VR headset connects to the conservatory, two room away!

It seems that, very often, my devices connect to one of the further Decos, usually producing a weaker signal. 

At times when a device happens to correctly connect to the nearest Deco unit, I have tried switching off the ability of that device to 'fast roam ' between Deco units, assuming that that device would then remain on the nearest one. But no, switching this 'fast roaming' off does NOT work and I have still seen the device choose another Deco despite fast roaming being turned off.

Is there anything I can do to specify which Deco unit I want a particular device to connect to? It is most frustrating to have spent so much money only to see devices regularly connecting to more distant, weaker signals. It makes no sense to me.

I really wish the management software would allow me to set permissions for each device, specifying which Deco units they are allowed to connect to.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why do devices insist on connecting to Deco units that are further away and weaker signal?
2023-07-05 08:25:14

@morsify 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The roaming depends on both mobile clients and routers. If Deco suggests connecting to another AP, but mobile clients insisted on the previous unit, it would stay on the previous unit. For more details, it is suggested to have a look at this link: Why my clients don't roam/connect to the nearest Deco node?

The current firmware of Deco P9 does not support changing the connection preference of each device and it is planned to release similar features on P9 in the future. But the expected release date is still not clear.

I see all your Deco P9s are connected via Ethernet cables, not via powerline Backhaul. There are some models whose firmware already supports customizing connection preferences for devices, like Deco M5 and Deco M9 Plus. If you just bought Deco P9, maybe you could consider replacing it with Deco M5/M9 plus(or Deco M4 V4 if you are going to purchase it in local stores).

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Why do devices insist on connecting to Deco units that are further away and weaker signal?
2023-07-30 03:52:21
i experience the same issue. my device keep connect to the further node. Not the nearest node next to device. please help
Options
2023-07-30 20:53:56

@morsify 

Keep fast roam on.

Keep "Mesh Technology" setting on. 

For Main Network, turn off 2.4 GHz, leaving 5 GHz only:

That will convince most of devices connect to the nearby Deco unit on faster but shorter range WiFi5.

Options