OMG Help! How can I put a VPN on a Router (Deco cannot?)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 15:51:51 - last edited 2023-09-25 09:15:44
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The challenge to solve is: I want a vpn on my router so I can access geoblocked content on my smart TV. I live in Belgium, want access to geoblocked TV channels streaming in UK. I am familiar with VPN from living in other countries: have express VPN on my phones etc. I cannot put th eVPN on the smart screen because the screen uses TizenOS, and tat doesnot accept vpn software. whcih means the vpn on router is the next solution to the challenge.

I have new fiber connection with moden and Wifi6 router combined (primary router). I bought the X60 because guy in shop said it was VPN compatible. So I connect 1 Deco router as secondary router, set up a new wifi network (to be extended with 3 more DecoX60 for a big mesh. I go to Express VPN, click add VPN to router, Express says, Sure, your options are buy my own new compatible router (only in US) or add Express vpn to these listed routers (click: shrimp sized list of lists 3 brands and 10 models)- not tp-link Deco or anything t-p link. Chat with Express chat : Express VPn does not allow its VPN on blah blah : no solution.

SOoo,  I have a deco router useless for my purposes of having a vpn to watch geoblocked content. Can anyone help me find a solution? Please note that I am in Europe, Belgium,/ UK  so solutions should apply to stuff I can buy here, preferably immediately.  Thanks for the support. My wife will  be so happy, if you can get her UK tv on our new smart tv.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OMG Help! How can I put a VPN on a Router (Deco cannot?)-Solution
2023-09-21 09:31:26 - last edited 2023-09-25 09:15:44

@CraigBBB 

Hi, welcome to the community.

please make sure your Deco X60 is up to date.

Deco X60 v3 starts support VPN on 1.2.1 and the latest firmware now is Deco X60_V3_1.2.4 Build 20230601.

Please go to Deco APP>>More>>System>>Update Deco to see whether you could detect the latest firmware.

If not, please refer to this link to manually update the 1.2.4 firmware: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:OMG Help! How can I put a VPN on a Router (Deco cannot?)-Solution
2023-09-21 09:31:26 - last edited 2023-09-25 09:15:44

@CraigBBB 

Hi, welcome to the community.

please make sure your Deco X60 is up to date.

Deco X60 v3 starts support VPN on 1.2.1 and the latest firmware now is Deco X60_V3_1.2.4 Build 20230601.

Please go to Deco APP>>More>>System>>Update Deco to see whether you could detect the latest firmware.

If not, please refer to this link to manually update the 1.2.4 firmware: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Thank you very much and best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OMG Help! How can I put a VPN on a Router (Deco cannot?)
2023-10-07 08:10:28
Options
2023-10-09 16:36:45

@David-TP Thank you for the quick response. I updated the firmware as you suggested. But I still have a problem downloading the Express Veep onto the deco. EXpress seems not to want to do it. Can I download another veep tunnel onto the deco, which one seems to work best?

Options
2023-10-10 01:56:28

@CraigBBB 

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

Actually, I am not sure I got it correctly. What precisely do you mean by "I still have a problem downloading the Express Veep onto the deco. EXpress seems not to want to do it"?

Deco is unable to connect to ExpressVPN as a VPN client, or It shows connected on the Deco APP but you can still not see the geo-blocked UK TV channels?

Best regards.

Options