tapo d230s1 doorbell will not connect to nas

2023-09-21 23:40:43 - last edited 2024-01-17 07:25:40

I have bought 4 Tapo cameras, three external and one internal, a home hub +2 door sensors. I've just the other day received my Tapo D230 S1 doorbell cam. I have all the cameras connected to my internal NAS but cannot connect my doorbell cam as it does not seem to have an authorisation setting within the app to authorise sharing. Can you please advise as I am feeling very disappointed, I cannot connect the door, to my NAS. James from Ireland

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tapo d230s1 doorbell will not connect to nas-Solution
2023-09-22 07:22:14 - last edited 2024-01-17 07:25:40

@Soloie 

Hi James,
Currently, the RTSP and ONVIF protocols are not supported for battery-powered cameras thus they can't connect to the NAS device, while other cameras that simply use Wi-Fi/wired and have consistent power-supplied can work with the NAS devices that support RTSP and ONVIF protocols.

You can view the live stream of the Tapo D230 via the Tapo app, and if your phone is on the same network as the hub, you can continuously watch the camera via the Tapo app.
(Please be aware that using the camera in this way will cause the battery to drain far faster, as the camera is mainly designed to record footage when an event or motion is detected.)

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:tapo d230s1 doorbell will not connect to nas-Solution
2023-09-22 07:22:14 - last edited 2024-01-17 07:25:40

@Soloie 

Hi James,
Currently, the RTSP and ONVIF protocols are not supported for battery-powered cameras thus they can't connect to the NAS device, while other cameras that simply use Wi-Fi/wired and have consistent power-supplied can work with the NAS devices that support RTSP and ONVIF protocols.

You can view the live stream of the Tapo D230 via the Tapo app, and if your phone is on the same network as the hub, you can continuously watch the camera via the Tapo app.
(Please be aware that using the camera in this way will cause the battery to drain far faster, as the camera is mainly designed to record footage when an event or motion is detected.)

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tapo d230s1 doorbell will not connect to nas
2024-01-14 19:12:20 - last edited 2024-01-14 21:05:25

@Solla-topee Are there any plans to incorporate RTSP and ONVIF protocols into the firmware for the D230 doorbell camera soon?

If not, then can I return the D230. It has been opened and tested in my home office. Not yet installed outside or anything else.

I live in an area with slow internet (only 1 provider so no choice, unless I want to pay for the very expensive wifi or satellite options). As a result, the Tapo app has a huge delay, with jumps in the feed and artifacting. In other words, it is basically useless. I am very glad that I decided to try this doorbell before buying your battery-powered outdoor security camera's. Definitely won't be doing that now. Will go with Annke instead.

Other issues, by not supporting RTSP and ONVIF:

• Doorbell live feed and notifications will stop the moment internet connectivity is lost
  • Costs more people money, if they are not on an unlimited internet plan
  • Not sure how you can call this a smart home device, when it does not have the ability to integrate into my smart home setup.
  • This also means that there is no way to block the upload of our live video stream. This means that TP-Link (and possibly their partners) could watch our doorbell footage OR someone who has hacked TP-Links system or my account

Using a local RTSP and ONVIF setup would eliminate all of these risks, while providing additional features.

I know this is partially my fault for failing to verify this before purchase. But, TP-Link has always created well engineered products in the past, and I am completely shocked that this crucial feature was left out by a company such as yours.

Options
2024-01-17 07:24:59

@FrobozzWiz 

Hi,
We do not have the information about when the Tapo D230 will support the RTSP and ONVIF protocols, and you can try to contact your retailer to check if you can return the camera.

It's recommended to vote or leave your comments on the thread "Support ONVIF and/or RTSP protocols on C420 S or via the Hub 200" if you want the battery-powered camera to support the RTSP and ONVIF protocols. I'll keep logging the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.

By the way, since your camera's live stream is encrypted when uploaded to our cloud server, usually, only the owner who logs in to the Tapo app with the TP-Link ID that the camera binds to can stream the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2024-01-20 20:39:44
Thanks, I have up voted that feature, but don't have high hopes on this being added to the software. So I have returned the doorbell camera and am in the process of selecting a different manufacturer for my entire security system, including friends & family as well. Thanks for the helpful reply.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 319

Replies: 4

Related Articles