Deco S7 not "joining" my Mesh Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-02 13:25:03
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, need some help. 

Have posted another treads, but no more answers appears. A person made a question, requested the log, but disappear.

So, I made some tests by myself and want to confirm this with you.

I have a Mesh Network working very well - 2 XE75 (1 as main router) and 2 X60.

Everything works ok. Have enabled only 5ghz network for my notebooks and mobiles, and have configured the IoT Network as 2.4ghz, for my gadgets (lamps, tvs, cameras, etc).

So far so good.

Then 1 room at my house it is far from the routers, and the signal was not so good.

So, 1 room for just 1 notebook and 1 mobile.

Then I bought only a S7 to be utilised (almost) dedicated to this room.

For my surprise.. this S7 does not join my mesh network. I can add it on the network. I can see on the Deco App.

important:

- I am using the latest firmware available fot it. v1.4.1

- Error message on Deco App on this S7 device: Connected to: Unavailable for current firmware (translate by myself from portuguese, the original message in portuguese is: Conectado a: Indisponível para firmware atual)

But, no clients can connect on it.

Then I made some tests:

1)- shutdown ALL routers - turned on only the main XE75 - and then reconfigured from scracht the new S7. - DOES NOT WORK

2)- shutdown ALL routers - turned on only the S7 (even without be connected to internet) - no WiFi network was available - DOES NOT WORK

3)- Have reconfigured from scracht S7 this time, using cable connection to the main XE75. even worst. could configure but, after awhile the S7 router disappear from Deco App. And when I managed to see at the begining at the Deco App also no clients could connect on it

4)- Have reconfigured from scracht S7 as a NEW NETWORK - independent of my current Mesh Network mentioned above - Connecting a cable directly to my Internet Provider router, so... I could configure this new network and my devices managed to use this S7 router.

In summary, looks like the Mesh compatibility on the propaganda about ALL DECOS ARE COMPATILHE AND CAN WORK TOGETHER IS A LIE. FACTUAL THAT DOES NOT WORK.

If anyone has any different opinion or idea about what I can do for making this work I will he so happy, or else I need to return this product and buy a new one. 

Very disappointed with TP Link

Alexandre S. Borges

alexsborges@gmail.com

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco S7 not "joining" my Mesh Network
2023-12-04 07:51:34 - last edited 2023-12-04 07:53:56

@AlexBorges 

Hi, Nice to see you again.

Sorry I haven't received any notice from the previous post and you could leave me a message next time.smiley

I could assure you that different Deco units do work together with each other. It is very likely you might find some potential bugs on the Deco S7.

But I noticed you mentioned that "Have enabled only 5ghz network for my notebooks and mobiles, and have configured the IoT Network as 2.4ghz, for my gadgets (lamps, tvs, cameras, etc)". The firmware of Deco S7 does not support IOT network. In other words, if you are near Deco S7, you could only detect the 5GHz main network.

So I wonder when you powered off all Deco units, except Deco S7, are you able to detect the 5Ghz main wifi network?

I do wish you could help me run one more test:

1. Add a Deco X60 to the newly-created of "NEW NETWORK" of Deco S7.(Let Deco S7 be the main Deco and Deco X60 as the satellite)

--You might get a notice on the APP to suggest using Deco X60 as the main but we can ignore it this time.

2. Then test whether the mobile device could connect to Deco S7.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and support.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Deco S7 not "joining" my Mesh Network
2023-12-04 12:49:32

@AlexBorges 

Hi @David-TP ,

Answering your questions/affirmation:

DAVID: - I could assure you that different Deco units do work together with each other. It is very likely you might find some potential bugs on the Deco S7.

AlexBorges: - sorry to disagree on that. I have just added S7 to my Mesh Network. And S7 was not able to connect ANY client.  So, concept of working and working properly are very different.

DAVID: - But I noticed you mentioned that "Have enabled only 5ghz network for my notebooks and mobiles, and have configured the IoT Network as 2.4ghz, for my gadgets (lamps, tvs, cameras, etc)". The firmware of Deco S7 does not support IOT network. In other words, if you are near Deco S7, you could only detect the 5GHz main network.

AlexBorges: - unfortunatelly very hard to find this info and just discovered that S7 does not support IoT after bought. And even that, did not know that even not using this IoT on S7 would make the equipment does not work properly/or be compatible with my current setup mesh network. So, my recommendation for next buyer, it is to put this type of information very clear to all. Maybe that is the reason (I really do not know) why S7 does not be able to connect clients on it. (SOMETHING LIKE THAT:

'if you put this IoT feature ON you can ONLY use equipments that are compatible with that.")

DAVID: - So I wonder when you powered off all Deco units, except Deco S7, are you able to detect the 5Ghz main wifi network?

AlexBorges: - NO. I made this test also. It is my test number 2 on my previous post. ("2)- shutdown ALL routers - turned on only the S7 (even without be connected to internet) - no WiFi network was available - DOES NOT WORK")

DAVID: - 1. Add a Deco X60 to the newly-created of "NEW NETWORK" of Deco S7.(Let Deco S7 be the main Deco and Deco X60 as the satellite)

AlexBorges: - Sorry that means stop ALL my network, I work at home, my wife also, the automation will be lost, so that is a kind of test that I am nor affordable to do. I hope TP Link can do it as you have labs and all these equipments.

PS: My main deco is a XE75, as I mentioned on my previous posts.

Adding a new information: and a (very bad) workaround that I needed to do it.

- Have connected 1 of S7 as an "Access Point" via cable to my Main Mesh Network (XE75), so... creating a new WiFi network. And has added another S7 devide to this mesh network, to to this new WiFi network.

In my view, it is not the main concept of having a Mesh Network, where I can walk around my place and be automatically connected on the closer router device. Now, for these devices, I need to choose to use this network (back to the past when we did not have Mesh Technology). I would say that is a very "dusty" solution, but it is what I have for now, and not loose the money that I spent buying these 2 S7 equipments.

I hope some day TP Link will fix that and I will have to be able to connect these S7 and have my unique Mesh Network again. That's the main reason for buying these equipments.

Cheers,

AlexBorges

Options