DEco P9 dropping signal

DEco P9 dropping signal

DEco P9 dropping signal
DEco P9 dropping signal
2023-12-17 16:12:14
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We live in an old house in the countryside with very thick walls.

We have 4G broadband coming into the house via an antenna and a TP-Link MR 600. This connects to a Deco P9 network (9 units in all). These units are configured as AP - The MR600 basically controlling the network. The main Deco connects to the MR600 via an ethernet cable. The second outlet from the main unit is ethernet cable wired to a hub and most of the remaining units are either connected via direct ethernet cabling or via Power Line adapters (mainly AV1000 TP-Link units) - the whole system is 1G bit compatible (as opposed to 100M). Everything, with the exception of one satellite, connects directly to the main hub without hopping though other units.

In the main the system works well and has done for well over a year - all Deco lights are solid white and we can walk seamlessly around the house with constant single SSID connection.

We have discovered of late that the incoming signal strength has dropped. Our broadband provider thinks that the antenna has moved slightly in high winds. An engineer is due to visit very soon in the new year. Of late also, we are having issues with broadband connectivity throughout the house. While it is fine in my office (wired Ethernet), her's is sometimes pretty poor and the red beacon flashes on the top of the satellite that her PC connects to (via AV1000 and ethernet). Some of the other units in the house also flash red. I can recover the connectivity with a reboot, typically of the either the incoming 4g router or the mesh network or both - invariably both. Sometimes if we leave the system without a reboot it will also recover and become rock solid again.

What isn't clear is if the mesh network is struggling with connectivity or if the problem is in the 4G router. Trouble is, the problem is quite intermittent.

So, my first question is - are there any tools associated with the MR600 and/or the P9's that I can use to diagnose the problem?

My second question is - if the incoming signal strength drops to the MR600, can this cause the mesh network to become unstable and, thus, cause the satellites to go off looking for alternative connectivity? (or is the stability of the mesh purely a function of 2.4/5G network connectivity and nothing to do with any speed of traffic incoming from the MR600)

The satellites stay in the same place and are never moved around

Any thoughts are welcome.

Options
1 Reply
Re:DEco P9 dropping signal
2023-12-19 12:18:54

@purrcat33a 

Hi, welcome to the community.

When Deco is in AP mode, its main feature is to provide a 2.4/5G Mesh wireless network.

The instability of MR600 will cause the whole P9 system offline: the main P9 turned red and all satellite P9 units are flashing red.

There hasn't been a tool that could help to diagnose the problem. 

I noticed you mentioned that:

"The main Deco connects to the MR600 via an ethernet cable. The second outlet from the main unit is ethernet cable wired to a hub and most of the remaining units are either connected via direct ethernet cabling or via Power Line adapters (mainly AV1000 TP-Link units) "

• Do you use powerline adapters, like TL-WPA7517 adapters to provide Ethernet Backhaul for several P9 units?

Did mainly satellite P9 units that are connected via AV1000 adapters turn flashing red quite often?

9 units in the same mesh system is a little overloaded. If possible, you could temporarily power off the satellite P9 connected via AV1000 adapters, only leave the Ethernet-connected P9s to get rid of the powerline interference over the wiring system.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options