Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.

Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.

2023-12-19 20:31:33 - last edited 2024-02-05 09:16:56
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6

Hello,

so I'm not the only one encountered this issue with your app.

I entered the app and had a message showing that the firmware update 1.3.9 is ready to install. Since my C200 had the 1.3.6 version I accepted the "update now" the app offered me. Right after my acceptance the app throwed me a notification that my device can't receive the update because has already the latest firmware version installed, which was not true because at the same time was showing that I am on the 1.3.6 version. The app offered me again to update to the new 1.3.9 vetsion, I accepted again the new update but my C200 lost connection afterwards and never started again. Now only the 2 red LEDs lit up but device does nothing.

Please take responsibility of your fault in the app and replace my device which was working perfectly for 3 years before this issue, that I have encountered because of the bug in your app.

Your app was showing the message "Device can't be updated because it has the latest firmware version installed" instead of "Warning - Update in progress - Let the device alone" that should be showing, since many of us we don't have the device installed next to us to see the green light blinking indicating that something different from "Device can't be updated" is going on... That's a serious app's fault! 

I have many TP-Link products, I have done 100+ firmware updates on them and I prefer TP-Link over the competitors, but this one is unacceptable!

In the link below you will see others that also encountered the same issue with me by the recent 1.3.9 firmware update.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TpLink/comments/186fnbx/tapo_c200_bricked_because_of_firmware_update/

Please contact TP-LINK ENTERPRISE HELLAS and let them know that your app killed my Tapo C200 and order them to send me a replacement Tapo C200 (widely available model currently in the Greek market) to any TP-Link cooperating store in Athens they prefer, I'm able to go there with my bike, give them the "brick" in its original box/package and get the replacement. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.-Solution
2024-02-05 09:16:52 - last edited 2024-02-05 09:16:56

Hi All,
When upgrading the camera's firmware, any interruptions, such as unexpected power outages, network fluctuations, or closing the app, can lead to upgrade errors. In some rare instances, these issues might even result in the camera becoming unusable (bricks).

If the problem happens, it's recommended to refer to the instructions below to troubleshoot, and this article outlines potential recovery methods for addressing these issues. If, regrettably, these suggestions can't restore your camera to normal functionality, it's suggested to contact your retailer or local team to check if your camera is under warranty.
What to do if my Tapo Camera gets bricked after a firmware update?

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
34 Reply
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.
2023-12-20 10:25:07 - last edited 2023-12-22 08:05:39

@Nickatsikas 

Hi,

Generally, when you click on "update" in the Tapo app, the camera will download the firmware and perform the upgrade, the message "Device can't be updated because it has the latest firmware version installed" appears in the app may be due to network fluctuations that caused the camera to fail to connect to the cloud server and retrieve the latest firmware information, and it may also result in a failed firmware upgrade or the bricking of the device.

If you have a Tapo C200 V1, please refer to Case 1 in the link to troubleshoot and check if the camera can be restored.
What to do if my Tapo Camera gets bricked after a firmware update?

I totally understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience caused. Our team is committed to continuously improving our products to ensure the best performance possible.
However, the global community is mainly used for case exchange & discussion and for sharing knowledge & solutions. If your camera still does not work after troubleshooting and your upgrade operations are proper, it's recommended to contact local support for further assistance regarding warranty services.

Best Regards

Options
Re:Please fix your app and take responsibility! We broke our cameras because of your app's bug.
2023-12-20 10:42:14 - last edited 2023-12-22 08:05:39

Hi  @Solla-topee 

I have done everything. Camera does nothing, neither reset button does anything. Only the left and right red LEDs are lit when power on. Nothing else. Completely dead. 

I went at the store I purchsed it and was told that my device (that was working excellent before the said 1.3.9 firmware update) is out of warranty!

"the global community is mainly used for case exchange & discussion and for sharing knowledge & solutions"

Ok then, please point me to the apropriate TP-Link compartment that will look into my case in detail and if you apologize for the inconvinience caused please replace my beautiful dead device because of that bug in the app.

Options
2023-12-21 08:02:07 - last edited 2023-12-22 08:05:39

@Nickatsikas 

Hi,
Currently, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of the camera becoming bricked. However, the Tapo app generally does not affect the camera's upgrade process, and in your scenario, the brick issue is more likely to be related to network fluctuations.

We have provided detailed troubleshooting guidance in the thread "What to do if my Tapo Camera gets bricked after a firmware update?". If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps but the camera has not recovered, and you have contacted the retailer, I recommend reaching out to local support to see if they can provide further assistance regarding warranty services.

Best Regards

Options
2023-12-21 09:11:27 - last edited 2024-01-03 23:31:55

@Solla-topee 

Hi,

the device is out of warranty but well protected, like new. Not ready to pass away.

Network and grid in the area is stable like a rock. What about all of the other affected device owners of the exact same device model version as well as firmware update version per the link I quoted in my 1st post? All of them are affected by the Tapo app! I have not contribute in that post. I landed there after searching about what's going on with this bug. I wonder how many others are also affected that can't explain what happened and thinking that it was the time for it to go, right after the warranty period expired.

The device lost connection because of the app and the "double" firmware update.

App was showing me that I'm on 1.3.6 and offer me to update to 1.3.9. I hit "UPDATE" and app instantly throwed me a message that "update can't be done because the device has already the latest firmware" and right afterwards offer me to update to 1.3.9 again. Being sure that I'm on 1.3.6 I hit "UPDATE" for the second time and then the device lost connection and never connected again.

I have done everything per your troubleshooting guide and many more with no result.

If you are unable to take responsibility and replace me the device, the only solution would be to send me a bin file with the Ver:1.0 flash chip contents (XM25QH64A) in order to de-solder it and reprogram it. It's an about 8Mb file. Device's MAC address is available if needed.

Options
2023-12-29 20:22:19
@Nickatsikas did you manage to find a fix for this?
Options
2023-12-30 08:37:39 - last edited 2023-12-30 08:41:57

@Richard_T123 

Hi,

no nothing yet, just waiting for tp-link support to respond...

Options
2024-01-03 04:59:33

@Nickatsikas 

My C200 device is the same after I also did exactly what you did

Do you think this will get resolved or are we wasting our precious time?

Options
2024-01-03 09:30:16 - last edited 2024-01-15 22:18:48

@David1- 

TP-Link learned me a lesson. Updating a device's firmware after warranty has expired can be done by our own risk!!! 

TP-Link is absolutely not responsible in such cases.

Personally I won't update any devices again. I've bought 6 Tapo C220 V1.0 and the've had the automatic firmware update enabled by default.

I disabled it and I will NEVER update them.

Options
2024-01-15 22:30:13 - last edited 2024-01-16 12:28:38

@Solla-topee 

....However, the Tapo app generally does not affect the camera's upgrade process, and in your scenario, the brick issue is more likely to be related to network fluctuations.

OK, assuming this was the reason, please find a way then, where the camera won't start the update procedure before the firmware has completely downloaded into device's memory.

Options
2024-02-04 12:10:25

Hi there, is there any solution to this problem? I had completely same scenario, now my C200 v1 is bricked after fw update:(

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 3112

Replies: 34

Related Articles