Wireless Switches Dropping connection and CPU at 100%

2024-01-22 10:09:10
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: 2.0

I cancelled Sky and went with Three Mobile broadband. The WiFi wasn't good so I have bought an M4 Deco Mesh system and installed it hard wired to the 5G modem. 

I have smart lightswitches that connect via 2.4GHz. I've connected all of my devices successfully to the wifi network, but there are certain switches in the house that are constantly dropping connection to the WiFi. I never had this problem with the Sky Router (with 2 satellites miniboxes that acted as repeaters). 

Things i've tried to regain stability in these connections: 

- Moved the Deco Mesh nodes 

- Tried access point mode

- Tried WiFi Router mode

- Removed one of the nodes (I have 4 and I didn't know if it was too much for the house i'm in)

- Reset all Deco units to factory settings 

- Rebuilt the network from the ground up repairing all devices 

- Set up a guest network that is specifically on 2.4GHz and attached the lightswitches specifically to that so that there are no issues with badwidth etc. 

- Wired the router further away from the nodes to avoid any interferance

- Rebooted all lightswitches to ensure that they haven't gotten into a state of disrepair

- Switched around the nodes so that the one that services the part of the house that appears to be working has been moved to the part of the house that doesn't work. 

Nothing works. I've been trying different configurations for the last 23 days almost daily and nothing gets these switches working solidly. If i don't have a resolution in the next couple of days i'm going to return them and try a different provider as this isn't ok, but that seems a shame as the connection to the other devices in my house (iPhones, TVs, FireSticks, iPads, Laptops etc) are spot on. 

Are Sonoff lightswitches just not compatible with your routers? This doesn't seem to be the case as I have a load in a certain part of my house that are rock solidly connected and never have an issue. 

Is it a problem with that part of my house? This worked with the Sky routers ... why would it not work with yours? 

Any suggestions welcome ... please?!!!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wireless Switches Dropping connection and CPU at 100%
2024-01-23 08:57:14

@chunkydigits 

Hi, May I know how many 2.4Ghz devices that are connected to Deco M4? How many are smart home devices among all of the 2.4GHz clients?

Have you tried to relocate the  Sonoff light switches or swap their location in case they have interfered with the nearby home appliance?

Please also temporarily turn off "Fast roaming" and "Beamforming" under Deco APP>More>Advanced.

Then disable "Mesh Technology" for Sonoff light switches.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-01-23 12:58:58 - last edited 2024-01-23 12:59:26

@David-TP I have 23-25 sonoff switches in the house. 54 devices in total. Average connection level is 42 devices most of the time, however there are 4 that are regularly flashing with the no network indicator and several others that intermittently do that. 

I have tried turning off the beam forming and fast roaming and I turned off the mesh functionality for all of the sonoff devices as it seemed a bit pointless as once the network is sorted it shouldn't need to switch between nodes. 

i can't really swap the switch locations as they are actual light switches in the walls, not ones that go into plugs. 

could the capacity be causing the issue? The description says it is compatible with up to 100 devices and this is no where near that even with all my devices online at once? 

thanks for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated. 

Options
2024-01-24 02:23:36

@chunkydigits 

Hi, Thank you for the update.

I do think the 2.4GHz connected devices are a little overloaded.

The advertised connected numbers are ideal with a combination of different device types for both 2.4+5GHz and also tested under the lad situation. Usually, a total of 30 devices over 2.4 GHz might be better.

Take Deco X20 for example:

The smart home devices need less bandwidth, however, due to their working mechanism, they often need to communicate with the control APP or cloud server all the time. Moreover, 2.4GHz is easily affected by the nearby Bluetooth/Zigbee/Matter signals, which might cause instability of the 2.4 GHz wireless signal.

The number of Deco units in the Mesh(3 or 4) will provide more wireless coverage, but not increase its connected clients. The overall wireless capacity mainly relies on the main Deco. 

For the current issue we have, I think you could keep the Sky router and set Deco M4 into access point mode, then connect part of the Sonoff switches to the Wi-Fi of Sky routers. Or you could also consider connecting all the 2.4GHz devices to the Sky router, and then connecting the 5GHz-supported devices to Deco M4.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options