Detection zones - issues with a C420 camera.

2024-03-18 16:14:53 - last edited 2024-03-19 09:18:44
Model: Tapo C420S2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.16 Build 20240122 rel.71006

Hi, 
I'm still getting to grips with my new C420 cameras.
I have one camera that looks over my front garden and drive. I live in a quiet road but don't want it to pick up vehicles driving past so have tried a few different ways to stop notifications but I'm still seeing a number of false alerts.

The blue section on my image is at the end of my drive a gap where vehicles pass from left to right or vice-versa, it's a single lane track.
The red section is the only detection zone set. Green and blue area is outside the zone and the green area can't see the road. 

Originally I had seperate detection zones set for each item (motion/person/pet/vehicle) with the blue entrance ommitted, but I was still seeing false alerts.
So I'm now trying one zone (red section) for all 4 types of detection, but I'm still seeing some false alerts. I think it's when the speed/size of the vehicle triggers things and perhaps more often when it's sunny.

As the blue section isn't in my detection zone I was hoping it wouldn't trigger at all! 
The blue section is around 50 feet away from the camera. 
I currently have all the settings at full sensitivity as it often fails to capture movement closer to the camera in my garden and drive. So turning things down to stop the false alerts from outside the detection zone doesn't seem like a good idea if I want to capture things on my land. 
I can keep reducing the red zone but that means I'm more likely to miss movement on my land. 

Any tips or comments would be appreciated. 
Thanks.

Detection zone

Options
5 Reply
Re:Detection zones - issues with a C420 camera.
2024-03-19 09:38:49

@HmmmUK 

Hi,
If the object out of the activity zone triggers the camera to send notifications, please check if the light and shadow of the object change within the activity zone thus the camera sends the notifications.
What kind of notifications have you received, such as motion-detected, vehicle-detected, etc?

If some events within the activity zone can't be detected, it may be related to the position of the camera and the movement trajectory of the event. You can refer to the link below to see the camera's working mechanism, due to the mechanism of the PIR sensors, the camera may not detect objects moving directly towards it to some extent.
What is the Wake-up Sensitivity of my battery camera/doorbell?

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-19 10:37:22 - last edited 2024-03-19 10:38:21

Hi @Solla-topee,
It will normally show as a vehicle, which is correct. But it's disappointing that the area is clearly outside the set zones and still being picked up even when there is no shadow or reflection. I guess the camera is still getting confused. 

I've already read about the best camera angles etc. but thanks for that. 
But I see there is also a note in your linked item: "Note: Activity Zones or Privacy Zones won’t affect the PIR sensor"
So perhaps it's the PIR sensor that's picking up the vehicles so my zones aren't being used?

Any tips on setting up the zones?
I tried simplifying things with the one zone (as shown in my previous post), I started off with 3 areas leaving the blue area I don't want monitored. 

Are there any benefits or issues when overlapping areas as shown in this image? 
Is it best to line up the zones with no overlap or does it not matter?

Thanks again.

zones

EDIT: I had to change the wording to post my reply!
I think the forum code was written by the same over sensitive person that wrote the camera detection code wink wink wink

Options
2024-03-20 09:20:09

@HmmmUK 

Hi,
1. The PIR sensor works by detecting infrared radiation emitted by or reflected from object, so the vehicles out of the detection zone can be detected by the PIR sensor and then wake up the camera, however, the camera's detection feature will work according to the detection configurations, so the vehicles out of the detection zone won't be detected usually.

2. If you select "Set for All" on the Detection Zones page, there is no need to overlap detection areas. If you select "Set for Each", overlap detection zones for different detection types do not matter.

3. For your case, can you share some videos showing the reported issues for further analysis? You can upload the videos to your cloud server(such as Google Drive) and generate a link to download the videos, then send the link to me(@Solla-topee) via a private message.

4. Thank you for your feedback about the word typed on the community, I'll log it and forward it to the relevant team to improve the community.

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-20 09:58:51

@Solla-topee Thanks for that.
I'm only getting the occasional false detection for vehicles (1 or 2 a day) so I'll keep tweaking my set up for now. 
Thanks again.

Options
2024-03-21 08:28:02

@HmmmUK  No problem, you can reply on this thread if you need further help. Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 309

Replies: 5

Related Articles