NZ-v Firmware change to normal firmware

2024-03-30 11:02:05
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.4

Hey there, 

Without bricking my devices, is it possible to change my firmware from the vodafone version 2.0.4 to the standard firmware for these units that is available: Deco X20(US)_V1.20_1.5.3 Build 20231227

i know this is the US version, where can i get a Australian version?

or is a US version okay provided that i use another router as the internet gateway and the Deco as the wifi aps

reason for the update is that i am experiencing poor internet range using the wifi and am hoping that i would get more options in the advanced settings to help get a better range. 

i look forward to any replies, best wishes Evoium

Options
7 Reply
Re:NZ-v Firmware change to normal firmware
2024-04-02 01:59:41

@Evoium 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The firmware version 2.0.4 of Deco X20(NZ-V) is customized per the requirement of Vodafone and we are not allowed to make any changes to this firmware.

May I know What kind advanced settings that you wish to change? 

Generally, I don't think a firmware upgrade will help expand the wireless range.

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-04-02 06:54:21

@David-TP hey mate, thanks for the reply. what i was trying to ask was, can i put the standard firmware on my deco units as im not with Vodafone as a provider and i would like the normal updates on this unit as the vodafone version gets no more updates. 

Options
2024-04-02 07:13:14

@Evoium 

Hi, Thanks for the update.

The web firmware upgrade interface will not accecpt the standard firmware.

You could try to add a new Deco as the main Deco and use the current one as a satellite Mesh unit. They are able to create a Deco Mesh system together.

Best regards.

Options
2024-04-02 07:17:08

@David-TP hey mate, thanks for the quick reply. 

thats a shame. i guess there is no way to work around this? no even a recovery setup? i got my units second hand and didnt know they were from Vodafone. Internally is there a jtag or usb programming header/bridge IC that i can use reflash the unit?

Options
2024-04-02 09:42:57

@Evoium 

Hi, There is a firmware recovery method for the standard model.

But I haven't seen anyone use it to recover the ISP-customized version so there is a potential risk that it might break the hardware.

How to use firmware recovery if the Deco become brick

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
2024-04-02 16:50:57

@David-TP hey mate,

That's exactly what I used and it worked a charm. I'm not running the latest standard settings and my deco units. Without a hitch. 

Thanks for your help. 

PSA for anyone in the future the deco system doesn't check the signing of the update in recovery mode (trust me it's a benefit)

Options
2024-04-11 11:57:08

@Evoium handy to know thanks! I am investigating this for my vfone x20 devices. I also didn't know they were customised prior to buying them.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 272

Replies: 7

Related Articles