connected Deco x50 devices via switches

2024-04-07 11:16:28
Model: Deco X50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Did someone succeed to create a stable ethernet backhaul using switches betwenn Deco units?

Modem/router connected to Main Deco X50

Main Deco X50 is connected to SW1 LS1005G

SW1 LS1005G is connected to: 2nd Deco X50 + SW2 LS1005G + SW SG1008D

SW2 LS1005G connected to SW3 LS1005G

SW3 LS1005G connected to 3rd Deco X50 + 4th Deco X50

It is stable for some time (can be 2-3 days) and than everything failed - but the modem/router is still provide internet (test it by connected directley to its port)

power off and on of the modem router solve it for the next few days - the ISP isn't see any issue from the provider side.

Options
11 Reply
Re:connected Deco x50 devices via switches
2024-04-07 15:14:55 - last edited 2024-04-07 15:15:33

@a_sh 

My Deco mesh has stable Ethernet backhaul through unmanaged gigabit switches from TRENDnet and TP-Link. Three wired Deco nodes on Ethernet backhaul. No issues for about three and a half years now.

What makes you think the issue is with Ethernet backhaul, when bouncing ISP modem/router fixes the problem?

Also, what exactly the issue? Statement "everything failed" is too vague.

Options
2024-04-08 07:05:31

@Alexandre. 

thanks for your answer, failed mean that all Decos become red and there is no wifi at home.

Options
2024-04-08 11:31:54

@a_sh 

a_sh wrote

@Alexandre. 

thanks for your answer, failed mean that all Decos become red and there is no wifi at home.

Which most likely means Main Deco lost connection to the Internet. Let's change problem description to this, instead of switches, and see if fix or workaround can be found.

I will need the following info from you to assist:

1. What is the brand and model of your modem/router?

2. Do you run modem/router in default router mode or have you configured it to run in modem (bridge) mode?

3. Does outage always happen at night, or it could happen during business hours?

4. Have you tried power off/on Main Deco instead of modem/router during the outage and if you did, what was the outcome?

Options
2024-04-09 06:38:33

@Alexandre. 

I mentioned the switches since TP-link support suspect this is might be the reason,

1. What is the brand and model of your modem/router? - I will check and update (it is something from the ISP)

2. Do you run modem/router in default router mode or have you configured it to run in modem (bridge) mode? - default router mode.

3. Does outage always happen at night, or it could happen during business hours? - the outage times isn't constantly 

4. Have you tried power off/on Main Deco instead of modem/router during the outage and if you did, what was the outcome? - actualy, i didn't - I will try it and update. 

BTW, the Deco's are in access point mode. 

Options
2024-04-09 11:34:33

@a_sh 

Thanks. Will wait on your update for #1 and #4. For #1, ISP Router brand and model name can often be found on the label on the bottom of the router.

Please also do the following two configuration changes in Deco app:

1. In More/Advanced configure Smart DHCP setting to Disabled:

2. Use manual selection of WAN port on Main Deco to dedicate its Ethernet port which connects to the ISP Router as WAN port. See following document: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/657342, scroll down to Manual Selection of the WAN Port. See if you have that option in your Deco app and try it. If you do not have that option, just let me know.

Options
2024-04-10 07:35:10 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. 

update:

1. when decos led become red there is no internet at all - not even directly from the modem/router and only plug out the power suply of the modem is solved the issue (pressing on/off button isn't solving the issue).

2. In More/Advanced configure Smart DHCP setting to Disabled: excluding the last one (Beamforming) we have the same configuration,

3. Deco firmware is 1.4.1

App version: 3.7.14

I don't have Manual Selection of the WAN Port. in my app. 

4. Modem model: Altice docsys  ubc 1327BA00

Options
3 weeks ago

@a_sh 

My recommendation would be to remove Main Deco from the link between Modem/router and switch SW1. Connect switch directly to modem/router, Main Deco to SW1, and also connect other switches to each other and Satellite Deco to them. You can do that with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.

TP-Link Support just had similar conversation with someone who has P9 as Main Deco, and he draw nice diagrams. I don't want to repeat what was said there, so take look at his final network layout: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/663130?replyId=1345568

Then, scroll up to see what he started with.

This will give you an idea how to redo your home LAN. If you have follow up questions, feel free to ask.

If after these changes wired to switches devices do lose Internet access, it is now definitely not Deco problem (you could just power off all Deco to verify) and you can take it with ISP Tech Support. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. 

I'm a little confused now.

your recommendation to connect the SW1 directly to the modem and then connected other decos was my initial topology, after a session with TP links support the suggest me to connect the main deco directly to the modem and then use the switch.

however, I will try again your instructions.

thank you.

Q: can I connect 2 Decos unit to one switch while one of them is the Main deco?

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@a_sh 

You can connect two Deco to the switch with one of them Main Deco, as long as you run Deco mesh in Access Point mode and switch is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul.

When you have network layout where switches do connect to each other, Deco units connect to switches just as wired clients, that excludes Deco mesh as a suspect. Your modem/router stops providing Internet, all wired devices connected to switches lose Internet, switches do connect to each other not through Deco units. 

It is not uncommon for ISP to dismiss localized outages, but next time it happens call ISP Tech Support and ask them while modem/router is down to troubleshoot it remotely.

------------

You do have cable modem, according to brand and model name. Such device is sensitive to coaxial cable (TV cable) issues. These can be limited by cable going to just your house, or inside the house, which for ISP might not be easy to pinpoint without extra efforts from their and your side.

I know, because I have cable modem, too. If your cable modem is not at the coaxial cable entry to the house, move it there. If it is connected to coaxial cable entering your house through cable splitters - redo that, so that modem connects to cable entering house directly. If not possible, reduce number of splitters and if they are not of a good quality, look cheaply made, replace them.

Ask your ISP Tech Support to dispatch technician to check cable signal and noise levels at the entry point to your house and also ask technician take a look at coaxial wiring inside your house. While ISP is not responsible for how your house is wired, a technician can verify cable signal inside the house too, and may offer recommendations on how to improve cabling if necessary.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Alexandre. 

Great help!

thank you - now I have work to do :)

have a nice weekend!

thanks.

Options