Deco BE85 - 6 GHz trouble (Wi-Fi 6E and Wi-Fi 7)

2024-05-25 11:34:49 - last edited 2024-05-25 11:37:25
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.18 Build 20240409 Rel. 41111

Hi,

About a year ago, I purchased a two-pack of Deco BE85. They have been pretty good and stable. 
The only 6 GHz client I had a the time was my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra smartphone. It has always had a stable connection to the 6 GHz network of either Deco with Wi-Fi 6E.

This March, I got a new Laptop, a MSI Prestige 16 AI Studio. One of the first laptops with Wi-Fi 7, Intel BE200 chip (Killer Wi-Fi 7 BE1750w).
Then problems started immediately. It would lose connection on the 6 GHz band all the time. It was rock solid on the 5 GHz band.
I got a lot of help troubleshooting the issue from MSI support, but they gave up after a while and told me to send the laptop back for a repair or replacement. They was not able to replicate the problem in their lab. 
I sent it for repair, but the repair centre found no faults and returned it. But I still had the problem, so I contacted the reseller and agreed to return it to them for a new laptop. I got a brand new laptop this week, same model. Same problem. :-(

In the mean time, I have tried two other 6 GHz computers on the network. One with Intel AX210 (Wi-Fi 6E) and one with Realtek 8832CU (Wi-Fi 6E)
The Intel one was stable as rock on 6 GHz, the Realtek one was even worse than the Wi-Fi 7 laptop. It was completely useless on 6 GHz, most of the time it wouldn't even connect to 6 GHz. 

I now started suspecting the Deco BE85 after all.
So I moved the most remote Deco to my desk next to the laptop. I probably never connected to this node before. Then it was completely stable with the MSI laptop on 6 GHz! But still useless with the Realtek USB WiFi 6E. 

I am pretty sure now that this unstability on 6 GHz is a TP-Link issue. And it seems like one of the Decos is worse than the other. Might be a coincidence, I have previously had stable connection for a long time before it starts dropping like crazy again, so I am not sure if it will continue to be stable.   

I do use all latest drivers and firmware available. 

Any suggestions? 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco BE85 - 6 GHz trouble (Wi-Fi 6E and Wi-Fi 7)
2024-05-27 02:17:32

@BirMan 

Hi, Thank you very much for your feedback.

Did all the 6GHz clients here connect to the individual 6GHz network, instead of the MLO network?

Did it improve the network stability if we turn off "Mesh Technology" for all the 6GHz clients:

In the meantime, I would like to follow up on your case via email.

Please check whether you can receive my email later.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 181

Replies: 1

Related Articles