Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?!

Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?!

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.2 Build 20240308 Rel. 55841

I've just had ethernet cables installed around my house which has resulted in a change in my Deco unit set up. Previously I had the main unit connected to my router via ethernet,  the first satellite connected to that main unit wirelessly, and the second satellite connected to the first satellite wirelessly. The network operated as I expected it to. The network was set as Access Point mode for the decos. The wifi from my router is disabled. 

Now though, as I've had ethernet cable installed to rooms on the far side of the house from the router, I now have:

Main deco unit in same room as router connected directly to the router via ethernet exactly as before.

First satellite connected to main deco unit via wireless. 

Second satellite on opposite side of house connected directly to the router via ethernet.

There are no switches between the wired deco units and the router.  

I was expecting the second satellite to now utilise ethernet backhaul, however, it still says on the app that it is connected to the first satellite deco via wireless.

However, to make matters stranger, when I do an download speedtest next to the second satellite, I get pretty much my full expected download speed (500Mbps), which it would NOT get if it was actually connecting via wireless to the first satellite. 

And if I do a speedtest next to the main deco unit, which in my previous setup would have got me full download speed, I'm now only getting about 50Mbps, even when stood right next to the main deco unit. It is like the main deco unit is now going through the second satellite via the first one. 

I was expecting that by connecting the second satellite with an ethernet cable directly to the router that would improve the overall wireless signal in the house, as that room was pretty poor signal due to brick walls, however, while technically that room's wireless has got better, the speeds elsewhere have dropped off. 

What am I missing and/or doing wrong?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?! -Solution

@David-TP 

Ok Problem solved.

Turns out that plugging the two M4 units directly into the router doesn't work and they don't see each other as being connected via ethernet. 

However, putting a switch in there, plugging the switch into the router, then plugging the two M4 units into the switch does allow them to see each other as being connected via ethernet. So now my network is working as expected. 

So to restate - DO NOT plug your Deco units in AP mode directly into the router, plug them into a switch which then plugs into the router. 

Maybe it is just the router I've got it doesn't work with, but hopefully this will help anyone else having issues! 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?!
2 weeks ago

@krisw 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Would it help if you switch the second satellite Deco M4 the main Deco in the Deco APP?

How to replace the main Deco with another Deco

By the way, May I know the model number of your ISP-provided router?

Wait for your reply and best regards.

Options
Re:Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?!
2 weeks ago

@David-TP 

Thanks for your suggestion.

My ISP router is a Vodafone THG3000.

I've tried switching the main deco to the second satellite, but on the app it says it fails when I try, as it can't find the main deco (the second satellite). However, closing app completely, then reopening it then shows the network with the second satellite as the main deco as expected. 

It has second satellite as main.

First satellite connected to second satellite via wireless

and (ex) main unit connected to first satellite via wireless. It does not register this unit being connected to the router via ethernet. 

Doing a speedtest next to the (ex) main unit gives me speeds of approx 400Mbps, so quite fast, but only about 4/5 what I would expect. 

I then went next to the second satellite and tried to do a speedtest, but I couldn't as my phone wouldn't connect to the wifi, despite it showing a full signal. It said in my wifi settings that there was no internet access, and an IP configuration failure. 

I'm now having trouble getting it back connected to wifi and to the internet. 

Also, when I went into the deco advanced settings, it initially showed the network as being in router mode, however when I clicked in it updated then went back to saying Access Point mode. 

This is clearly not a situation I can keep with, so any other ideas on how to fix? I honestly thought connecting a second unit via ethernet would make the wifi better, not worse!

Options

@David-TP 

Update:

I went out for 40 mins or so and when I came back my phone connected to the internet ok again. 

However, doing speedtests resulted in approx 50Mbps standing next to the (ex) main unit, and 450Mbps standing next to the second satellite which is now the main deco. 

So I'm back to the same speed issues as I had before when the (ex) main unit was the main deco. 

Something is wrong here, right? This isn't normal behaviour when two decos are connected to the router directly in AP mode?

Options
Re:Network of three deco M4 units isn't operating as I think it should. What am I doing wrong?! -Solution

@David-TP 

Ok Problem solved.

Turns out that plugging the two M4 units directly into the router doesn't work and they don't see each other as being connected via ethernet. 

However, putting a switch in there, plugging the switch into the router, then plugging the two M4 units into the switch does allow them to see each other as being connected via ethernet. So now my network is working as expected. 

So to restate - DO NOT plug your Deco units in AP mode directly into the router, plug them into a switch which then plugs into the router. 

Maybe it is just the router I've got it doesn't work with, but hopefully this will help anyone else having issues! 

Recommended Solution
Options