Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices

2019-12-31 22:36:32 - last edited 2023-12-01 10:54:05
Model: KP100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an HS100 smart plug and two 

Kasa Spot cameras working on the Kasa app.

I have recently purchased two P100 smart sockets but I can't add these to the Kasa app, I have to use the Tapo app which is a really pain in the rear as I would prefer everything in the same place. O also prefer the layout of the Kasa app.

Does anyone know why the P100 isn't available.on the Kasa app? It isn't even listed as a model when creating this post.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices-Solution
2023-12-01 10:49:52 - last edited 2023-12-01 10:50:53

Hi everyone,

We’re excited to introduce you to the new Tapo APP 3.0, which is Kasa integration. You can now add and control your Kasa devices in the Tapo APP! 

• Here is the introduction of the new Tapo app.

Meet Brand-New Tapo 3.0 App

• Below are the instructions to add Kasa devices to the Tapo app. 

How to Add Kasa Devices to the Tapo App?

• You can refer to the link below to learn more about linking Kasa devices to the Tapo app. 

General questions about linking Kasa devices to Tapo App

It's suggested to Start a New thread if you have any problems when using the Kasa devices with the Tapo app with the below information for further analysis.
1. The model number of your Kasa device.
2. The version of your Tapo app.
3. Your problem description and the usage scenario.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
107 Reply
Re:Having to run Kasa and Tapo app for different devices
2020-01-08 07:22:57 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

Hello, the model number of the new smart plug should be Tapo P100; it is managed by the Tapo APP, not KASA app. That is why it cannot be detected on the kasa app. 

And it is a new device released recently, thanks for reminding us; it has been added. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-14 07:43:38 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Hi @Kevin_Z ,

Wil the TP-Link P100 smartplug be integrated in the Kasa app or Deco app? 

Since on the TP-Link website the following is stated:

Bring it Together

You can run your entire TP-Link smart home ecosystem from Kasa. Customize your lighting, turn connected devices on and off, track energy use, set scenes by grouping different smart home products together, and even create schedules for your smart home, all from the Kasa app.

Currently I am using the Kasa app to control my HS110's, and the Deco App to control the Deco M5's. Fortunatly the Deco app also recognises the HS110's, so it is interchangable. I like the Kasa app more for independed switchin of the plugs. I am looking to buy more TP-Link smart plugs.

When reading your website with the quote above, I find it very misleading to state that you can run your intere TP-Link smart home ecosystem from Kasa, and within a short period of time you release a new app that is not compatible with the previous product. If products/services are not downward/upwards compatible, that doesnt give me much trust in the TP-Link product range and i rather invest in more future prove providers. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/kasa-smart/kasa.html

Options
2020-01-28 08:49:45 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@JunkMailKing 

I fully agree and I also feel totally misled by tp-link. I already have a number of Kasa linked app devices. I saw a few Tapo offers and thought I could add them to Kasa app. I am surprised and disappointed a new tapo app is required, so I am now stuck with two apps. 

will tp-link update Kasa app so it will see and manage all tapo devices shortly or should I just return the tapo devices? I will appreciate quick reply. 

bad job, you to-link guys. I really had a very good impression of the brand until now. 

Options
2020-02-12 16:58:18 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch 

I've just done exactly the same thing on the basis that I will be able to use the normal Kasa app. 

I'm afraid they'll be going back for a refund. I can get a cheap generic plug if I have to use something different. Very poor.

Options
2020-02-20 17:02:04 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@InvisibleTouch I am puzzle why they want to split out from their eco-system and create another app? Cannibalise their own product family?

I am running 3 device on Kasa app and 5 device on Tapo. Just hope they will integrate but I doubt so because they will have done so when they launch their new product.

Options
2020-02-21 07:35:24 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

Hi @InvisibleTouch and all, 

The Kasa and Tapo are two different product lines/Intelligent House Systems; that is why they are controlled by two different APPs, which are Kasa app and Tapo app respectively. 

If you have two kinds of products, you can use Kasa app and Tapo app to manage them. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-03-08 14:04:25 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z Idiot decision, I decided to buy a known brand to avoid several applications and surprise! Complete idiot marketing strategy. I'm returning the Tapo and replacing by other brand.

Options
2020-03-12 00:28:40 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z Of course it's not your fault your company did this but your reply that Tapo and Kasa are two different lines and intelligent house systems is not a "Solution", that's why your repeatted postings of that message do not have any votes.  

I just thought the the Tapo C200 camera was the next generation of the KC110 as they're clearly the same pan\tilt\zoom camera on a different base.  I thought TP-Link dropped it's prices to compete with all the cheap competitors or something.

I simply needed another KC110 and I loved it, it worked great, and was so easy to see my different cameras all from one interface on Kasa.

Now that I know Kasa and Tapo are two different ecosystems, like other users, I am immediately returning the Tapo C200 and now looking for a different unified ecosystem and app.  This really is such a marketing fail of a decision and I would like to be more vociferous in my disapproval, but I will vote with my money and choose a logical single manufacturer and unified ecosystem.

You seem like a good person @Kevin_Z, and just trying to help frustrated customers, which is much appreciated; however, please don't insult our intelligence by posting that "Solution" again.  That's just annoying people who know better.

Bummer TP-Link.  I'm breaking up with you.  It's not me, it's you.

Options
2020-03-15 16:21:19 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z

Your reply is not a solution at all, let alone a star solution.  Your post specifically says that there IS no solution.  So, I've got to run both Kasa and Tapo apps?  No thanks, I'll buy something else!

Options
2020-03-25 00:37:39 - last edited 2022-12-28 07:10:33

@Kevin_Z   Do they actually pay you to give that meaningless answer?...  Both TP-Link & TAPO products are being sold under the TP-Link banner and it makes sense to use the same app to manage all the devices. If not planned, it should be something that TP-Link should consider

Options

Information

Helpful: 51

Views: 80142

Replies: 107

Voters 34

+ 30 Voters