Kasa Smart Switch - Power Outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-12 16:37:26 - last edited 2020-01-12 16:38:34
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi Community

I have a problem, I really like Kasa Smart Switches and want to change all of my switches in my home.

My problem basically is that I live in a country where we have at least one power outage every 15 days and after installing the first  Smart Switch HS200 from day one when the electricity is cut the device is not remembering the off state, when having electricity again just turns on.

How can i fix this? Is there any setting related to power outage for the device?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Kasa Smart Switch - Power Outage
2020-01-17 09:31:20

@AlexisRR 

Hello, after the power outage, the state of HS200 will be the same as it before power outage. That is to say, if the HS200 is turned on but the power get cut, when having electricity again, the HS200 will be on; vice versa.

It is designed so, cannot be changed yet; while we will forward it to our product department to verify whether we can improve it.

Good day. 

Options
2021-06-07 16:50:31

@AlexisRR 

So, the bigger problem is that after a power outage ALL my switches are trying to reconnect to the network at the same time...so they all don't connect, and they just keep trying.

Is there a way, on the switch, to get it to the state where it is not trying to connect, so I can press reset for one at a time? I have to wait like a day and then go around and press the reset one at a time...for like 30 switches. It's annoying and not user friendly. It's like they are designed to only be used on one or two lights?

Another problem is this is jamming the network for other devices as well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Options
2021-06-10 11:44:28
They may connect successfully if you power cycle the router/AP instead of resetting the switches (I mean cycle it again while the devices are trying to connect, I realize it already cycled after the outage). I have trouble picturing them jamming the network, there's a lot more bandwidth available than those switches would need - seems like it's a router issue if other devices are struggling to connect as well.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-06-10 13:27:04 - last edited 2021-06-10 13:28:22

@MikeP 

Other devices aren't having trouble though, they just get delayed a bit. It doesn't seem to be a bandwidth thing, just (maybe?) A DNS or assignment or handshake type thing. It didn't seem to happen until I got more tp-link devices, which is why it seems this was not designed with the thought of having all or most of your switches converted to smart switches...which is strange because I would think that is the goal.

Again, if you could more easily stop or pause all the switches and have them come on line and connect in smaller numbers at a time would be nice because that seems to work. This points again to a problem on the switches side that could be fixed.

But if you blame it on the router then I'm guessing it will continue to be a problem and I will continue to have a headache every power outage or when I need to shut the power off (which used to be to add a smart switch, but now would be to get rid of a smart switch or change to a different smart switch).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried that and it has not helped.

Options
2021-06-23 09:21:11 - last edited 2021-06-23 10:33:48

@shawn.mek  Hello, 

It is possible that when smart switches were trying to connect to WiFi, router has not booted up yet. 

Next time when there is a power outage, if smart switches fails to reconnect to router, you could try to power cycle router as suggested as above and see if that helps?

If still the issue, may I know the model of your router, and the detailed network topology? 

Do you mean none of the switch was able to reconnect to wifi by itself and need manually being rebooted or factory reset and set up again?

Besides , if you have a different router or AP, you could connect some switches to a different AP and see if it's the same case or not. 

Can you share your tp-link ID/ email address with us by private message, thank you in advance. 

Options
2021-06-23 15:59:47

@AlexisRR 

:) I already have a job and would rather not troubleshoot this and help fix it. I'm just giving the suggestion to be able to more easily (like hold reset on a switch for 5 secs or double clicking reset, or something else) turn off the switch for a time so that I can then press reset (having them again try to connect to the network) on one at a time (or a subset at a time).

It's not the router or AP needing a reboot, some of them connect and all of them eventually (if I wait 24 hours and they DO actually stop trying and I can press reset).

I mean, it probably has something to do with my network topology or network as well (as it's getting bombarded by all the wifi switches after the power outage), but absolutely no other device has trouble reconnecting. So I'm sure on your side you could do something even better than my suggestion - my suggestion was simply to make it easier than me connecting to each switch with my phone (a couple minutes each, hour plus - no thanks) or waiting days for them all to be reconnected.

Again, thanks for the suggestions (non of which work or are applicable) and no thanks to me working with you to fix this problem (I'm just providing my experience and a suggestion).

Thanks

Options
2021-09-30 03:11:53

@Kevin_Z I have recently got 4 Kasa EP10.  Although it does remember the power state before the power outage, but is it possible for me to specify the power state after power outage?  So we can choose either:

1. Specify a power state after power outage; or

2. Restore the power state prior to the power outage

The EP10 can do (2), but can it do (1)?

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-30 06:02:22

Hello@JuSu   i'm afraid defining the power state after the outage is currently not possible on kasa plug. May I know how do you want to use it? 

Options
2021-09-30 14:48:17

@Solla-topee 

Considering In case of appliance such as portable heater, it might be a good idea to have a default power on state of OFF after a power outage for safety, no?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5555

Replies: 9

Related Articles