KL110B beeping noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KL110B beeping noise

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
KL110B beeping noise
KL110B beeping noise
2020-01-13 00:19:04
Model: KL110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a new Kasa KL110B bulb in my bedroom, when turned off via voice/app, in a silent room I can hear a faint beeping sound coming from the bulb. Kind of like the sound of dial up internet, of when you put your mobile phone next to a radio. 

It's a standard light switch, no dimmer. 

Is this normal? because it's extremely annoying.

Options
10 Reply
Re:KL110B beeping noise
2020-01-16 08:44:34

@Serrell 

Hello, try to change another socket to plug it or change another lamp base.

Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. and please shot a short video and send it to us. 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2020-12-02 01:29:16
I just got three KL110B and noticed they all make this noise. It's only noticeable when quiet. It's a faint beeping, clicking noise, and yes bit like dial up sounds, and clearly the WiFi activity, regardless of light on or off, but when mains supply is on. I have loads of other gadgets that use WiFi and are totally silent. It is very faint, but in the bedroom at night, it's noticeable.
Options
2020-12-10 03:20:43

@tj_moore 

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

Did you still have the same issue about the beeping noise?

If yes, could you please help me check the following information:

1. How long have you had the KL110B and when did this issue start?

2. Are you able to record a short video/audio about the beeping noise?

3. if we reset the bulb, then did not set it up, just power it on, would it beep again

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-16 18:08:07

@TP-Link I have the exact same issue on all of my KL110B bulbs. Is there a fix?

Options
2020-12-18 10:51:24

@EdPierce 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

Could you please help me check the following details:

1. Did all the 5*KL110B have the same issue, no matter when they are on or standby mode?

2. Could you please record a short video clip about the noise on the smart bulb?

3. If possible, could you please download the Decibel Meter App to test the noise of the plug and provide up the screen-shot?

4. And would resetting the smart bulb temporarily fix this issue?

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Options
2021-01-02 17:00:25

@TP-Link 

Hi,

In answer to your questions:

1. I bought three KL110B on Dec 1 2020, all three made these noises from the start. I noticed it immediately.

2. See attached. These are amplified samples from my phone (some background noise from my neighbours talking too). The first is with the light on and the second off. Both with mains power on. It's a high pitched constant sound plus a frequent chirping kind of noise. If I turn off mains power there is no noise.

3. I have done a soft and hard reset and can still hear it just powering on without setting up.

Similarly I have four KP105 smart switches I bought around the same time, from a different retailer, all of these make a similar sound though different frequency that I couldn't pick up on a phone.

To me all of these sound similar to some mobile chargers I've got if I listen close up. It sounds to me like switching power supply noises.

The lights are more of a problem as they are more noticeable in the quiet at night. This means for the bedroom light I have to physically turn off the light at the switch. It's not loud and sometimes I'm okay with it, but it's just I expected a light to be silent especially when off.

File:
kl110b_noise.zipDownload
Options
2021-02-01 16:26:55

Hi,

I notice the same from my KL110B, purchased from Amazon UK in early January, hardware version 1.0 firmware version 1.8.11.

Previously I had in that same ceiling light socket an LB110 which did not make this noise (LB110 hardware version 1.0 firmware version 1.8.6).

It is indeed very annoying when the room is silent, despite my aged ears, causing me to switch off at the wall making it useless.

Could it be 2.4ghz vs 5ghz wifi? I can't tell which network it is on nor see how to change it.

Options
2021-02-04 05:42:09

@NeilS_666 

Hi, KL110B Is 2.4ghz only.

Did the noise only start when It turned on via the APP, only when it is on standby mode?

Would the noise start since you purchase this smart bulb?

For the electronic devices, there is an inductance coil in the relay to help control if the current can pass the device or not.

When the current bypasses the inductance coil, it generates a kind of noise.

and It would not affect the function of the plug at all.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-02-04 12:44:50

@TP-Link Hi,

The noise happens whether the light is illuminated or not, if there is power to the light fitting (from the wall switch) then the bulb is beeping.

Yes, it has made this noise since I purchased it in January.

It functions fine, but makes a noise, and in a silent room stops me sleeping.

It is disappointing that it does this when the previous bulb I had from you did not.

If you have any suggestions on how to stop the beeping I am happy to try, otherwise I will return for a refund.

Options
2021-08-25 15:48:48

It's not a dimmer switch buzz. That's caused by the dimmer on the mains affecting the voltage signal. Shouldn't use mains dimmers on smart bulbs anyway as the dimmable feature is within the bulb itself by turning the LEDs on and off at different rates. 

The issue is a sound from within the circuitry that is always on to power the WiFi and smart functions whether the light is on or off, unless the mains itself is off. Its a chirping sound rather than buzz.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 5179

Replies: 10