Issues with Tapo C200 camera

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-28 10:47:07 - last edited 2020-06-01 08:11:51
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have recently purchased several C200 cameras. Although generally pleased with them I have encountered a number of issues:

1 Mounting the camera

I have found the best way to manage viewing images sent from the cameras is by having cameras hanging upside down. Unfortunately, as supplied they only come together with a small backplate which the instructions claim will enable the camera to hang on a wall. I've found when mounted this way I cannot get useful views with pan/tilt. So I far prefer a wall mounting bracket at right angles to the wall to enable the camera to be mounted hanging downwards. I've had to fudge this by adapting mountings previously used by other devices. Why doesn't the manufacturer include a similar mounting bracket to enable to camera to hang upside down on a wall?
2 Installing an SD card
Once having installed a suitable SD card in a new camera, the first time I open the Tapo app and select his camera, it tells me the SD card is corrupt and needs to be formatted. This may be OK when I  open the app my first mobile device. However, when I open the app on a new (second and subsequent) mobile device it once again tells me the very same SD card is corrupt and will need to be formatted. This pantomime continues for every new mobile device where I open the Tapo app for the first time. This seems quite nonsensical - surely a single formatting of the SD card by the first mobile device that accessed the camera should be enough without it having to be reformatted time and time again whenever I have a new (additional) mobile device that accesses the same camera with the SD card previously formatted by the earlier mobile device?
3 Viewing and deleting video clips stored on my SD cards
I have set my cameras to record video upon detecting motion. This seems to work fine. However, often a camera may be activated dozens of times a day and each time record a new clip. The problem I have is when viewing the dozens of clips, many do not need to be retained. To clear this clutter, I want to delete such individual clips (and maybe only retain the odd few other clips). I've spent considerable time, but have not yet found a way of deleting unwanted individual clips from the SD card. The result is that I end up with hundreds of unwanted clips when maybe I would only want to retain the odd one or two clips for future reference..

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Issues with Tapo C200 camera-Solution
2020-05-20 07:51:45 - last edited 2020-06-01 08:11:51

@Ojos 

All of your suggestions sound great to me, I think you can feedback to their support and they may consider in a future release or improve it.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Issues with Tapo C200 camera-Solution
2020-05-20 07:51:45 - last edited 2020-06-01 08:11:51

@Ojos 

All of your suggestions sound great to me, I think you can feedback to their support and they may consider in a future release or improve it.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Issues with Tapo C200 camera
2020-05-28 16:22:18

@Solla-topee

Solla-topee wrote

@Ojos 

They did indeed accept some of my suggestions and, hopefully in due course I will see the result. However in one respect they did not. This is regarding my difficulty when going over and viewing recent video clips. In practice I want to discard most of them but once in a while there may be the odd one I wish to retain. Their response to this was:

For this query, the recordings saved in the SD card cannot be shared, downloaded or deleted directly from the Tapo app. Users will need to put the SD card into a computer (with an SD card reader) or phone to delete the corresponding recordings, they can format the SD card on the Tapo app if they want to delete all recordings completely.

That to me is not the way to do things. Having a number of C200s attached to walls, the thought of climbing up walls struggling to remove the SD card and then loading it up a computer to try to retrieve the odd one or two clips from the hundreds (or thousands) on the card seems totally absurd. Aren't TP-Link aware that in the Tapo App there is actually a Playback & Memory facility? Once a clip is in the Memory section it most certainly can be downloaded and surely this is the way to do it. However, the current problem I have is how do I select a clip to go into Memory? I had assumed while I'm viewing a clip there would be a select button to move the clip into Memory. Does anyone know a way of doing goths and that will instantly solve my biggest problem?

Options
2020-06-01 08:11:42

@Ojos 

This also sounds reasonable. We will record your request and feedback to the related department again, they will work on and evaluate the feasibility.

Options
2020-06-24 21:09:03

@Solla-topee 

Of course it sounds reasonable because it is a simple feature and easy to implement! Do get fooled by the programmers!
The absence of the ability to delete recordings from the sd card via the app gives the impression that the user should be pushed to use the cloud service instead of the sd card. Climbing a ladder to remove the sd card and than use a pc to delete files is so old school (even before the 90s) that I can't beleive it.

Come on tp-link, be nice to the us pro users! There will be enough people who favor the cloud service, but for the rest of us: Make it easy and SAFE, don't make us climb ladders!!!

An in addition: I want a decent webinterface with PTZ, ftp upload and all the state-of-the-art features, I don't want to have my smartphone turned on to check if there are any recordings... This concept is a step back!

Thank you for listening and even more thank you for implementing...

Options
2020-06-30 08:40:39

Kathy_Z wrote

@DJ3 

Thanks very much for your valued suggestions again. Deleting the files or recordings from the SD card directly on the Tapo app has been forwarded to the developer and they will evaluate the feasibility, please be more patient with new firmware updates.

@Kathy_Z 

Thank you, but deleting files or recordings directly from the SD card is just half the solution required. The other requirement is to be able retrieve the odd recording for retention onto external storage. We need an option to be able to select individual recordings and move them into memory through the Tapo apps Playback and Memory dialogue. This will avoid the need for me to spend a lot of time clambering up ladders, struggling to remove the SD cards for loading of the odd recording onto a PC. After that there is yet more struggling with ladders just to replace the SD back into the camera

Options
2020-07-18 14:37:41
Bug of android app. Use iOS. Not kidding. I solved it using iPad app instead of android. Maybe bug of latest app... Bad software lately...
Options
2020-07-18 18:00:10

DakkarDaemor wrote

Bug of android app. Use iOS. Not kidding. I solved it using iPad app instead of android. Maybe bug of latest app... Bad software lately...

@DakkarDaemor 

What's a "bug of Android app"? I have been using Android for years and currently have many hundreds of apps which all work fine. You have made no effort to explain what this bug is, so please document it here and also pass it to the developers of the Tapo app and get them to fix it.

Your post appears to be just advertising IOS but I have no intention whatever of switching to IOS.

Options
2020-12-17 15:06:31

@Ojos  Just purchase my first tapo c200 today at first it was working very fine and i was about to sleep to i check the camera for the last time and this time tapo is not rotating and keeps on saying that the pan tilt reach to its maximum even if its not rotating.. how can i fix this?

Options
2020-12-22 08:58:47

@hapi 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

Please refer to the following suggestions to have a look:

1.Would rebooting the camera make any difference

And maybe the internal wires twisted together, have you tried to gently push the camera to have a look?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-27 17:27:40

we could not hold playback vedio fastword and forword not be set so how to slove this promble

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 8324

Replies: 11

Related Articles