Large deployment of HS210, HS220 randomly turns on and then quickly off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-18 16:16:00 - last edited 2021-04-09 11:51:05
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have a large setup (over 30) HS210 and HS220 switches / dimmers installed. They are all correctly installed by a professional electrician.

Since day one, I have two issues with the switches and dimmers :

1 - On three-way setups, some random times per day, some switches turn on and then back off within 1 second with no action on my part. It is like the switch is rebooting and deciding to turn on the lights for no reason.  I am not 100% sure but I think I've seen non-three-way switches do this also.

2- Almost all switches are disconnecting from WiFi from time to time and they don't reconnect by themselves. They stay on the Red Wifi Logo and I have to hit the reset button for them to connect again. It is really frustrating because A) I have a TP-Link Deco P9 mesh wifi setup, so same maker... and B) I don't understand why the switches don't reset by themselves and connect back...

Apart from that we like the switches and dimmers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Large deployment of HS210, HS220 randomly turns on and then quickly off-Solution
2021-04-09 11:51:00 - last edited 2021-04-09 11:51:05

@Gordon_Ramsay Hello everyone, 

Recently, we have some Beta firmware  for the smart plug/ switch auto-reboot issue but only for certain models and version, please kindly check from this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/235006?page=1

Please feel free to let us know if the Beta works for you or not, many thanks. 

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Large deployment of HS210, HS220 randomly turns on and then quickly off
2020-08-20 03:27:39 - last edited 2020-08-20 03:30:43

@Vinrio 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, we would like to collect some basic information and follow up your case by email;

1. As for the auto on-off issue, have you ever set up some features, like schedule, away mode, IFTTT settings related to the smart switches?
  2. For the unstable issue, since there are two buttons at the bottom, reset and restart, so I wonder if actually you press the restart button to recover the internet connection, not the reset button since once you reset it, you might need to set it up from the beginning?

By the way, how many Deco P9s do you have, except P9, do you have other models of Deco?

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-08-20 04:25:37

@Brook Thanks for such a quick reply!

1. No, there are no scheduled or automated tasks set up right now. I only had the 32 switches and dinners installed and I added them all one by one on the wifi.

2. I did reset one switch to factory settings to try and fix the problem but it did not change anything. On a day to day basis, I go around to all the switches and look for some that are showing the red wifi logo. On them, I press the restart button and they connect fine afterwards. However I have to do this almost daily.

I have three deco p9 all wired with ethernet backhaul. The switches to connect them all together are also tplink. Everything is tplink here :)

Options
2020-08-20 04:27:48

I can make a video of the problem if you want. Very easy to do because the problems come up every day 

Options
2020-08-20 04:28:54

@Vinrio got one right now 

Options
2020-08-20 06:37:15
Yes, please send us a video, and since our senior engineers would follow up your case via email and please have a check of your email box. Thank you~
Options
2020-09-28 17:28:47

@Brook

Has this issue been resolved? I have purchased two HS220 units and they both continually lose WiFi connection and fail to respond after completing the initial setup. If I factory reset the switch and don't complete the setup through the app, the switch behaves as expected. As soon as I go through the WiFi setup process the switch enters this unresponsive/cycling state.

Options
2020-09-28 18:23:04
I have resolved my issue by changing my entire TP-Link Deco P9 Mesh network with a TP-Link Deco M5 Mesh network. In hindsight, I should have switched to another maker because now I have given TP-Link even more money with them not fixing my issue... However I no longer have the problem so it was caused by the Deco P9 crappy system (over 300$ to the trashcan).
Options
2020-10-17 14:56:44

@Vinrio were you able to solve also the problem os randomly turning on/off? I replaced all switches at home and some of them randomly turn on and off (or off and on depending on the state they are), and after doing so, I can see the wifi indicator turning solid green. I'm wondering if it's a router/network problem as well, but everything at home works fine with internet connection.

Options
2020-12-09 12:35:20

@Vinrio 

I have been fighting a simular issue with some of my Kasa devices. I have found a partial solution and suspected cause. I have created another WiFi network dedicated to my TP-link switches and plugs. I also had to make it a guest network. The strange thing is that everything behaves correctly now, except when my phone is connected to this network (i.e. when setting up a new device). Every time I switch my phone from the main network to the isolated light network, the switches start acting up. Once I disconnect my phone, everything goes back to normal. I suspect that is has something to do with the Kasa app trying to scan for devices or something but have not investigated any further.

Options
2020-12-12 13:49:21

@Vinrio 

I am also having a problem on this issue. The reason is still unknown.
But after looking at the shares, I know how to fix the problem.
Thanks for the very helpful information.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3205

Replies: 12