IOS 14.1 conflict with setting up device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-26 17:06:40 - last edited 2020-12-09 11:32:01
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

One of my HS200 smart switches got disconnected from the network. Instead of restarting it, i removed it from my device list and tried reconnecting it.  It couldn't be connected to the TP-Link Smart Switch network. I reset the switch and even disconnected iit from the electrical line and reinstalled it again, nothing. I did everything according to instructions for setting up a device. I remembered that I recently updated my Iphone and IPad to IOS 14.1. I asked TP-Link Technical support if there's a prolem with IOS 14 but couldn't give me an answer. I instead tried to use an IPad with IOS 10.3.3 and my HS200 got connected easily.  This is just for info.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:IOS 14.1 conflict with setting up device-Solution
2020-12-09 11:31:29 - last edited 2020-12-09 11:32:01

@Erebus80 

Hi, please refer to the following suggestions:

1. make sure the local network has been enabled for kasa APP https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2937/ ;

2. there is no VPN connection enabled on the smart phone

--if nothing works, please try to delete the APP and reboot the smartphone and install the APP again to have a look;

Thank you!

(if I did not reply in time, please send me a  private message, thanks:)

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-28 19:09:21 - last edited 2021-02-25 11:23:09

If your Router supports both 2.4 and 5 Gig connections and these bands are not separated (router uses Smart Connect to determine bandwidth), temporarily disable the 5Gig Network at the routher so your iPhone is forced to connect to 2.4.  Also, on your network settings for both the switch and the router on your phone, tap the (i) icon and turn off Private Address.  Try the Kasa Device setup again. 

I've found that TP-Link devices aren't smart enough to join a smart combined bandwidth network, my switches were constantly dropping and they were driving me nuts. I finally went out and bought a couple of WiFi Extenders so I could split the 2.4 and 5 Gig bandwiths into individual streams from the extenders and leave the router at smart connect (for my other devices).

To connect the TP-Link devices I had to set the iPhone or iPad to "Forget" all known Networks. I then log into the 2.4 stream for the extender I want to assign the device(s) to work with, ensured Private Addressing was turn off on both the TP switch and the extender networks and completed the ReSet/SetUp routine to link them to the proper extender. This is how I was finally able to force connection my TP-Link devices to use the proper bandwidth and connect to the network when IOS upgraded to 14.x.  

I have a ton of individual Globe RGB light bulbs and Teckin Smart Power Strips, 4 Alexa Dots, an Alexa Pro, QP Link Garage Door and ton of other stuff that use the network, none of these devices have problems like my TP-Link devices, their software connects them to the network seamlessly. 

To be honest, I'll never buy another TP-Link device. They're nothing but a R(oyal) P(ain) I(n the) A(__).

Now I'm trying to find out if they even support WPA2/WPA3, because _all_ my devices are complaining about the WPA/WPA2 being obsolete and a security risk and want me to upgrade that WPA2/WPA3 Personal standard. When I attempt it, the TP-Link stuff falls off line immediately and I can't reconnect them unless I roll back to WPA/WPA2 on both the extenders and the router.   

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:IOS 14.1 conflict with setting up device
2020-11-03 01:32:45

@MM88 

Good day,

Thanks a lot for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

After successful setup on the IOS13.3, are you able to control it on the IOS14.1 via the same email account?

At the beginning of the release of IOS14.1, we did get several feedbacks about this issue but later we have released a new version of Kasa APP.

Since then, the issue was almost fixed.

So if you do not mind, you could keep monitor the performance of the smart switch;

And if there is any further issue, please feel free to update this post.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-11-23 00:01:52

I got same issue with iOS14. With iOS 14 , I couldn't make Kasa app to connect to a newly installed smart switch (HS200), so i had to switch to another iphone with iOS 12 and it worked right away. The app can connect the swicth and add to the devices list. Afterward, magically the iphone with iOS 14 was able to access the new switch as well. I wonder if TP Link will update the new firmware  or app to make it work with iOS 14 at first try. 

Options
2020-12-04 01:14:05

@Brook I'm having the same issue with ios 14.2 and don't have another iOS device with an earlier version to try and do the solution the OP did.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

For a bit of reference as you can see in the picture, I'm able to connect while in my wifi settings or so it says, BUT once I either go back to the app manually or tap on the notification as seen in the picture, the Kasa app tells me it's unable to connect and to retry and never connects after many attempts even if the little wifi indicator in the upper right side by the battery ststus bar appears. Also as you can see the local wifi has full signal in M24.

Thanks!

Options
2020-12-09 11:31:29 - last edited 2020-12-09 11:32:01

@Erebus80 

Hi, please refer to the following suggestions:

1. make sure the local network has been enabled for kasa APP https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2937/ ;

2. there is no VPN connection enabled on the smart phone

--if nothing works, please try to delete the APP and reboot the smartphone and install the APP again to have a look;

Thank you!

(if I did not reply in time, please send me a  private message, thanks:)

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-27 18:46:33

@MM88 I am working with IOS 14.3.  tp-link has access to my local network and I do not have VPN set-up, but yet cannot get HS105 smart plugs connected.  I have tried multiple things and everything mentioned above.  Any suggestions, would be appreciated.

Options
2020-12-28 19:09:21 - last edited 2021-02-25 11:23:09

If your Router supports both 2.4 and 5 Gig connections and these bands are not separated (router uses Smart Connect to determine bandwidth), temporarily disable the 5Gig Network at the routher so your iPhone is forced to connect to 2.4.  Also, on your network settings for both the switch and the router on your phone, tap the (i) icon and turn off Private Address.  Try the Kasa Device setup again. 

I've found that TP-Link devices aren't smart enough to join a smart combined bandwidth network, my switches were constantly dropping and they were driving me nuts. I finally went out and bought a couple of WiFi Extenders so I could split the 2.4 and 5 Gig bandwiths into individual streams from the extenders and leave the router at smart connect (for my other devices).

To connect the TP-Link devices I had to set the iPhone or iPad to "Forget" all known Networks. I then log into the 2.4 stream for the extender I want to assign the device(s) to work with, ensured Private Addressing was turn off on both the TP switch and the extender networks and completed the ReSet/SetUp routine to link them to the proper extender. This is how I was finally able to force connection my TP-Link devices to use the proper bandwidth and connect to the network when IOS upgraded to 14.x.  

I have a ton of individual Globe RGB light bulbs and Teckin Smart Power Strips, 4 Alexa Dots, an Alexa Pro, QP Link Garage Door and ton of other stuff that use the network, none of these devices have problems like my TP-Link devices, their software connects them to the network seamlessly. 

To be honest, I'll never buy another TP-Link device. They're nothing but a R(oyal) P(ain) I(n the) A(__).

Now I'm trying to find out if they even support WPA2/WPA3, because _all_ my devices are complaining about the WPA/WPA2 being obsolete and a security risk and want me to upgrade that WPA2/WPA3 Personal standard. When I attempt it, the TP-Link stuff falls off line immediately and I can't reconnect them unless I roll back to WPA/WPA2 on both the extenders and the router.   

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-12-28 21:57:08

@MM88 Thank you very much!  That was the issue regarding the router.  I had an older 2.4 Ghz router, and as an experiment I used it and all worked perfectly.  Thanks again for taking time to respond as it really did provide assistance.

Options
2021-01-03 21:33:41

@MM88 

I also had a similar problem setting up a KP-400 and a HS103P2 using the ios app (ios 14.2).  Just a note, before recent updates I was able to setup new TP-Link devices using the ios app.  While I could still control the existing TP-link devices I could longer complete the setup.  I did find a suggestion to use an Android device with the KASA app to setup the new devices and this worked!  After setup, the new devices were visisble and controllable within the ios app.  Hope this helps someone.

Options
2021-02-24 22:34:40

@MM88 Hey folks!

Any news about that? I'm facing the same problem due to I have to reconfigure all my lamps because I changed my ISP. I already did all the suggestions above and my lamps can't connect. After setting the SSID and password on the app it prompts me saying that is configuring the wifi and after 2 min says that failed

My lamps are: LB100/LK 100 Series

I'm using iOS 14.4. Any workaround?

Thanks!

Options
2021-03-22 11:45:12

@oandreazza Hello, 

If the set up failed at the last step, the issue is not related to IOS14. 

Please verify the Wi-Fi password first by forgetting the Wi-Fi network on your mobile phone:  

Go to Settings-> WiFi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's WiFi name  ->Forget / Delete the network 
Please reconnect to your router wifi and it will ask for a password, will it accept your router password. 

Later reset bulb and reinstall it on Kasa app.  If still failed, you could try a different channel for router's 2.4G: change to channel 1, 6, 11. 

If possible, please check on router‘s client list, and see if bulb shows up in router's wifi client list and get an IP address when set up failed? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2887

Replies: 10