Tapo P100 offline after internet Down

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-09 09:12:15 - last edited 2022-06-21 08:11:02
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.3

Hi, I have bought a 4 pack of TP Link smart power socket TAPO P100, and I have an huge issue with them, if internet from my ISP goes down for a few minutes, or any issues my ISP could have, all P100 that are turned off at that moment are offline when the internet start's working again, and whatever I do to them they remain offline. At first I thought that it's something related to the wifi signal strength, so I've bought an wifi extender, TP-Link WA850RE, signal strength is excellent and traffic speed is OK (half of full wifi), it's installed at a perfect distance from the router. I've changed the DNS on the router, initially I've been using an ad blocking DNS, still same issue. If i take the socket out and leave it for a time it some times manages to connect back, but most of the times it needs to be reset and start the setup all over. If a socket is on when this happens, when internet connection is back on the socket is reachable in the app, but is shows that it's OFF when it's actually ON, if I switch it ON in the app it will show as on and it's actually turned on, then I can switch it back to off and it actually goes off. The worst part of this behavior is that I'm not even able to return them to the seller or send them to warranty, because whenever they are tested, they need to be reset and they work after reset. Please help with this, I've bought them to be used at a location where I usually go to only on the weekend and I need them to start my heating and ventilation before I arrive. Max consumption per socket is 2000W at 230voltage, this should be under the max 2300W at 10A rating. I wanted to add more devices from the TAPO ecosystem - smart light bulb and IP Cameras, but I'm afraid to buy them because will have the same behavior. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo P100 offline after internet Down-Solution
2022-06-21 07:53:02 - last edited 2022-06-21 08:16:00

Hello everyone,  

After a power or Wi-Fi outage, Tapo smart device will try to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network automatically when the Wi-Fi or power restores.
If your Tapo smart device does not reconnect to Wi-Fi after router reboot or power outage ,that could be due to Wi-Fi network environment or how router handles the requests from smart devices.

-It is recommended to consider a UPS to provide consistent power for the router when there is an outage 

- Here are some other  tips to try: 

• Reboot your smart device first and see if connection recovers
  • Try to reserve an IP address on router settings for the MAC address of smart device
  • Change router DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

If the issue persists despite the above steps, to help look into the concern further,  please reply with information below or Start a New Thread and help provide some details: 

1. Model of router (better notes firmware of router) and your network topology: e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router<Wireless> Tapo device

Is it a Mesh  network, or router + extender 

2. How about the LED status on smart device after router internet restoration, is it Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green etc.

3. After router reboot and internet is back, check smart device work in the local network when phone is connected to home wifi network?

Can you control smart device in Tapo APP locally( when phone connected to home Wi-Fi network )?

Can you control smart device in Tapo  APP remotely (when phone is LTE mobile data or non-local network )? 

4. MAC address of the Tapo device (please share via Private message) Does this happen to all your Tapo smart devices? 

FYI,   the above suggestions are for  ‘’ Tapo offline or Local  after power outage or internet is down ‘’

If you experience unstable issue with Tapo device, try some tips here What should I do if my Tapo smart devices (smart plug, smart lighting) keeps losing connection or going Offline?, and start a new topic.

Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Tapo P100 offline after internet Down
2020-11-18 11:11:45

@Ionut02 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

For your case, we would like to follow up on your case by email and ask the senior engineers for more advice.

Please have a check of your email box later.

May I know the model number of your home router?

Are you able to reserve the IP for all the plugs on the router to see if that helped?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-18 13:29:49

@Brook I think I've solved my problem by doing what you have mentioned and some networking reconfiguration after I posted. I've ended buying an Tapo C100, C200 and an RGB Light Bulb last week at a pre black friday sale. I've added the cameras to WiFi but since I was allready using other brands of cameras I needed to configure them for ONVIF with external port forwarding. my router is an TP Link Archer C2. What I have done was to set a a manual IP for all my smart devices when I've set up the cameras in the router DHCP config, set up the WiFi extender with a different SSID and used it as a hub only for the smart plugs, cameras and light bulb and reconfigured all devices to use the WiFi extender. It's been a week since I've done this and all my devices are still online. Hope this solved my issues because I plan to extend my smart home system with an additional set of 4 plugs, 2 bulbs and 2 cameras, also waiting for the outdoor camera to be available in Romania.

Options
2021-03-05 04:18:58

@Brook 

After a long period without issues, my Tapo P100 are back offline and unreachable. What is strange this time is that I can't identify what could be the cause of it since there is now history of power outage or internet connection issues. In the meantime I've extended my smart home with 2 C310, 3 C100 and one C200, 3 RGB smart bulbs, but I haven't bought additional plugs since they proved unreliable. All other Tapo products that I have are working and responsive (although the light bulbs sometimes don't light up but within the app it shows that are on until I switch colours). Of 4 plugs none are reachable, and since are installed in a location where I get there only on weekends I can't troubleshoot the way the app says. To make matters worse I use the plugs to turn on heating and warm up before my arrival. So the tapo light bulbs and cameras connected on the same network as the plugs work OK but the plugs are offline. On the router I can't see the plugs connected, so it seems they are in a state where the plug doesn't even try to make a connection. I'm sure the wall socket has power since the router is powered from the same in wall line. DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, plugs have IP reserved in DHCP, WiFi set to fix channel, all sockets are close to router, router is powered through an UPD, can't really set an better scenario for networking. Please help with a solution.

Options
2021-03-09 06:46:20

I think I've found what the issue is but this can only be solved through firmware update. There was a short power outage that also affected my ISP fiber media converter. After the power restored the plugs started up faster than the internet connection. They tried reaching out to the tapo services but since there was no internet connection they timed out and remain that way. The socket had wifi connection since the access point is on an UPS and didn't shut down, but the router that assigns IP and acts as the DHCP server also rebooted. I've had someone go to that location, take out each plug from the wall socket, leave them out for a minute and then plug them back in the wall socket. After this all plugs were back online. To make everything even stranger the Tapo RGB light bulb wasn't affected by this, nor were the IP cameras, only the smart plugs, and out of 4 all had the same issue.

Is anyone from TP link aware of this issue, are there any plans to solve this, is it solved in revision 1.2? I mean this is a huge oversight from TP-link for a smart plug that is supposed to give you control of your house while you are away. I'd honestly understand this type of behavior from no name products but I went for the TP link ecosystem considering that I'll have the best support. The only fix on my side is the buy an UPS and to change my main router with one that has 4G sim for backup.

Options
2022-01-02 12:19:14

@Ionut02 

I'm having the same issue with the P110 plugs. If the internet goes down briefly, the lights on the plugs go red and whilst everything else on the home network reconnects, these seem to remain red indefinitely. Turning them off and on fixes, but it's far from ideal.

Options
2022-01-02 12:47:13

@James.174 for me the issue got solved, but I'm not sure what did it. One thing was that I changed my ISP, my new service provider uses a totally different internet setup - fiber connection - media converter - DHCP router and has a more open aproach, I can configure almost anything, port forwarding, DNS, etc. Additionally I've setup a router as an access point closer to the power plugs. Both the AP and ISP router and media converter are on two different UPS. I have to specify that this setup is a bit of an exaggeration to solve the issues with the disconnects of the power plugs but I also needed this for my surveillance systems and other smart home device.  Since this is a remote location I'm dependent on the plugs and other smart devices to control my hesting system before my arrival, so resetting each one manually is not an option, before doing all this I've had sitations when I had to call a neighbour, come to my house and reset the mains, basically resetting al my plugs. My P100 are on fw 1.3.6 build 20210827 rel. 37578, hope this helps.

Options
Re:Tapo P100 go offline........... - period
2022-05-14 11:31:58

@Brook hi I have 5 Tapo P100 smart sockets that go offline - there seem to be quite a few people complaining about this.

typically H/w V 2.0 F/w V1.0.5 Build 210615 Rel. 135441 (I haven't checkt them all)

I have Active Directory providing DHCP, which now have reserved IP addresses for the 5 plugs.

(I do not see a way of configuring a manual IP address, or I would have tried this too).

Wifi is supplied via Cisco Wireless Lan Controller - and have Access Points ant varying distances from the smart plugs from 1m to 10m - all plugs behave in the same manner (so would not seem to be a wifi access issue - and I still have other chinese smart sockets (supported by efamilycloud app) connected and they dont go off line)

I was going to replace another 12 of some chinese smart plugs (which have never dropped off line) that sometimes go "sticky" after switching the load (which is nowhere near their rated 10amps) and thought the Tapo range (rated at 13A) were just the job - but am very concerned about the regularity in which they go off line - totally unreliable.

I have had no discernable power outages, no discernable loss of internet access - but can more or less guarantee that they will go off line less than 12 hours after having been re-enabled (unplugging and plugging back in - no need to reset the device with software).

The main problem is that some of the smart plugs are in inaccessible places so I cant afford to put unreliable kit in those (or any another, TBH) places.

Please can you get the problem fixed - and I will buy more - or I will give up on your product and go elsewhere

(This is not the quality of product that I would expect TP-LINK)

many thanks

NWAC

Options
2022-06-19 19:57:28

same here :( all plugs offline in remote location after Router Restart

Options
Re:Tapo P100 offline after internet Down-Solution
2022-06-21 07:53:02 - last edited 2022-06-21 08:16:00

Hello everyone,  

After a power or Wi-Fi outage, Tapo smart device will try to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network automatically when the Wi-Fi or power restores.
If your Tapo smart device does not reconnect to Wi-Fi after router reboot or power outage ,that could be due to Wi-Fi network environment or how router handles the requests from smart devices.

-It is recommended to consider a UPS to provide consistent power for the router when there is an outage 

- Here are some other  tips to try: 

• Reboot your smart device first and see if connection recovers
  • Try to reserve an IP address on router settings for the MAC address of smart device
  • Change router DNS to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

If the issue persists despite the above steps, to help look into the concern further,  please reply with information below or Start a New Thread and help provide some details: 

1. Model of router (better notes firmware of router) and your network topology: e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router<Wireless> Tapo device

Is it a Mesh  network, or router + extender 

2. How about the LED status on smart device after router internet restoration, is it Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green etc.

3. After router reboot and internet is back, check smart device work in the local network when phone is connected to home wifi network?

Can you control smart device in Tapo APP locally( when phone connected to home Wi-Fi network )?

Can you control smart device in Tapo  APP remotely (when phone is LTE mobile data or non-local network )? 

4. MAC address of the Tapo device (please share via Private message) Does this happen to all your Tapo smart devices? 

FYI,   the above suggestions are for  ‘’ Tapo offline or Local  after power outage or internet is down ‘’

If you experience unstable issue with Tapo device, try some tips here What should I do if my Tapo smart devices (smart plug, smart lighting) keeps losing connection or going Offline?, and start a new topic.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-06-21 08:12:11 - last edited 2022-06-21 08:18:01

Hello 

@NWAC sorry for the late response, if tapo device does not work stably, you could try to check router advanced Wireless settings as FAQ here. 

@charminarmin please try some tips  above and see if it helps with your case. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 11999

Replies: 12

Related Articles