HS200 v3 switches randomly rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-26 05:19:35 - last edited 2021-04-16 10:00:53
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.3

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my HS200 v3 (on FW 1.1.3) switches and KP400 v2 (on FW 1.0.6) outdoor plug where they reboot at random intervals. It is most notable when the lights are on since the relay clicks and the light flickers. It also happens when the light is off though since I can see the status light go solid for a few seconds and then flash until WiFi reconnects. I have 9 total HS200s along with several HS210s and HS220s. 4 of my HS200 are version 3.0 and they all have the random reboot issue but none of the 1.0 or 2.0 units do. I also have a KP400 version 2.0 outdoor plug that has the issue. I have been pulling my hair out for several weeks trying everything from tracing circuits, checking wire nuts, swapping switches, and changing numerous WiFi and router settings; nothing has worked. I did have one spare 2.0 switch that I swapped for one of the 3.0 units. Since the swap, that light has worked flawlessly. I think that rules out any wiring or WiFi signal issues.

One strange observation is that the reboots are synchronized between all of the affected HS200s and the KP400. I have been using the "runtime" feature of the Kasa app to track how often the reboots occur and it looks like they all reboot at the same time but at random intervals. I have even caught it in real time while watching the Kasa main screen on a few occasions. This leads me to believe that it is a software/server side issue.

My network consists of a TP link DOCSIS modem > Edgerouter X router > TP link SG-1016PE switch > multiple EAP225 access points. I have tried disabling fast roaming, disabling 5Ghz, disabling Airtime fairness, changing DNS settings, verified no firewall logs are blocking communication to/from the switches. Nothing seems to have an affect.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS200 v3 switches randomly rebooting-Solution
2021-04-16 10:00:45 - last edited 2021-04-30 06:59:11

Update 21-04-30

Hello everyone, we have some Beta firmware for Kasa devices auto- reboot issue, you could find the latest beta firmware  from this thread:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/262328

If your Kasa device has the same problem, you could comment on the above thread directly. 

* For maintenance purpose, new beta firmware will be updated on the above thread in the future. 

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:HS200 v3 switches randomly rebooting
2020-12-09 12:01:19

@riwall 

Hi, sorry for the delay.

Did you still have the same issue?

If yes, could you please help check the following information:

1. Did you use the Homebridge to manage the home devices?

2. If the home router supported guest network, please connect the smart plug to guest Wi-Fi and check again whether the auto rebooting issue continues;

3. After resetting KP400 and HS200, then please do not set it up and leave it un-configured; would it automatically turn on and off again?

Thank you very much!

(if I did not reply in time, please send me a  private message, thanks:)

Options
2020-12-09 12:29:41

@TP-Link 

Please see below:

1. Did you use the Homebridge to manage the home devices?

No, I do not use a bridge device

2. If the home router supported guest network, please connect the smart plug to guest Wi-Fi and check again whether the auto rebooting issue continues;

I have a sperate WiFi network for all my IoT devices. I did try making that network a guest network but it did not help.

3. After resetting KP400 and HS200, then please do not set it up and leave it un-configured; would it automatically turn on and off again?

If I just reset them and without going through setup, they do not randomly turn off/on

Since my original post, I have found a partial solution and suspected cause. I have created another WiFi network dedicated to my TP-link switches and plugs. I also had to make it a guest network. The strange thing is that everything behaves correctly now, except when my phone is connected to this network (i.e. when setting up a new device). Every time I switch my phone from the main network to the isolated light network, the HS200 and KP400s start acting up. Once I disconnect my phone, everything goes back to normal. I suspect that is has something to do with the Kasa app trying to scan for devices or something but have not investigated any further. 

Options
2020-12-10 02:25:15

@riwall 

Hi, thank you very much for your kind reply and the information Is very helpful for further investigation.

And May I know the model number and operating system of your smartphone?

If the smartphone just connected to this isolated network and did not try to add a new device, would the smart device start rebooting again?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-01-24 03:09:55

I'm having this same issue. Any resolution?

Options
2021-01-24 18:39:34

I am also having the same problems with my HS200 v4.0.  In fact, I have already replaced one HS200 with a new one because of the rebooting issue.  This problem has existed with both switches, so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't with the electrical wiring. 

Options
2021-03-01 01:19:13 - last edited 2021-03-01 01:24:29

@riwall @Brook @TP-Link 

This is just started happening to me.

I've had multiple TP-Link Kasa devices rock solid for 1+ years and now random reboots across the board (the time of reboot is random, but when it happens, all devices do it at the same time). This is extremely annoying because a reboot issues a power cycle so lights flicker and plugs go off and back on.

What changed? The wireless network is now run by a TP-Link EAP245v3(US) - single, no mesh instead of an old Asus router.

I tried changing channels, forcing 20mhz, 40mhz, all other features are default: steering, fairness and beamforming off - reboots continue.

I put them back on the Asus router and no more reboots.

All other devices are behaving as expected on the TP-Link AP except the TP-Link Kasa devices - how ironic.

So I don't think the Kasa devices are the problem, I think it's the EAP, even without mesh / hopping.

I wish there was a way in the Kasa app to tell devices in advanced settings to log to a remote server so we can see what errors they are getting prior to deciding to reboot.

If TP-Link can send me a beta firmware for an HS103v2(CA/1.0) which supports local access and remote logging and let me know which command to send to specify the remote server, I can help debug this problem.

Same with the AP - I can debug - It can already push logs but there's nothing useful so likely I'd have to enable debug remote logging somehow, ie via SSH.

Options
2021-03-03 09:08:50 - last edited 2021-03-03 09:13:35

@FSF Good day, we are glad that  you could help with the debug, thank you very much~

We'd love to follow up your case via email and sent you a local debug tool to collect log for HS103 V2 ,please kindly check your inbox  thank you!

Options
2021-03-03 17:24:12

@FSF 

Did you see my post above about a work-around? 

Since my original post, I have found a partial solution and suspected cause. I have created another WiFi SSID dedicated to my TP-link switches and plugs. I also had to make it a guest network. The strange thing is that everything behaves correctly now, except when my phone is connected to this network (i.e. when setting up a new device). Every time I switch my phone from the main network to the isolated network, the HS200 and KP400s (and now KP103s and KP115s) start acting up. Once I disconnect my phone, everything goes back to normal. I suspect that is has something to do with a combination of the Omada APs and Kasa app trying to scan for devices or something but have not investigated any further.

Options
2021-03-03 18:38:53

@riwall 

In my case, iot devices were already on a separate network. When introducing the eap, to avoid changing anything on the devices, I disabled the iot SSID on the router and enabled a new iot SSID with the same password on the eap. All devices jumped over and were accessible as expected.

Then they started rebooting randomly throughout the day but together at the same time (HS103 and HS200).

Disabled the SSID on the eap, enabled it on the router, and everything was fine again. I tried this multiple times with the same result.

Options
2021-03-06 22:19:36 - last edited 2021-03-06 22:20:34

I’m having the same issue, however I’m also using homebridge to automate and integrate with HomeKit. I tried leaving everything on the same subnet as is, and tried logging out of Kasa smart app on all our home mobile devices, but still got the random restarts :( I dont mind creating a segregated vlan for my iOT devices, however gonna have issues with homebridge unless i open the ports between the subnets, which from what i gather i will have the same issue again. I’m gonna try few more things, but I’m thinking I’m gonna have to return all my switches back to amazon. I bought crap load of switches to automate my whole house, so its bit disappointing as i love the look of these switches. Gonna have to try another brand…

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2903

Replies: 14