Tapo C200 PTZ now working with HomeAssistant

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-05 14:26:08 - last edited 2022-01-05 08:32:21
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

The Tapo C200's PTZ function is now unofficially supported by HomeAssistant. See: https://github.com/JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control

Unfortunately, this still leaves those of us who use NVRs out of luck, no PTZ for us.

There aren't many ways to interpret this issue from a PR perspective: Because of TP-Link's bad behavior around the limited ONVIF support of this camera, users have seen themselves forced to reverse engineer their work in order to force it to perform as they (falsely) advertised. Think of how badly this reflects on the company.

As a user of your products for the last 14 years, I am now considering looking elsewhere for my networking solutions, and I am obviously not alone in this. Look at these forums. Look at the number of threads asking for this camera to have PTZ support over ONVIF. Are you saying your customers were wrong in thinking ONVIF support meant PTZ as well? I say this in hopes of being helpful: Now that hackers are adding PTZ support for your C200 to software like HomeAssistant, there's simply no excuse for you NOT to support PTZ over ONVIF anymore. If they can do it, your engineers most certainly can, and with much more ease. Instead of solving the issue (and let's be honest here, one of your engineers can solve this in a day and they know it), every user here is now aware that this is a conscious software design choice on your part.

It looks more and more like you're choosing to spite your long term customers (such as myself) with false advertising and an exceedingly capricious stance on the issue.

Keep us as your customers, TP-Link. Add PTZ to the ONVIF spec of this camera. Ask your salesmen. The C200 is ONE crucial feature update away from being a killer product. Are you gonna let it fall flat on its face? Hackers are doing your job better than you. Don't you have any pride in your products?

Up until today, I've thought you were one of the most reasonable companies, TP-Link. We'll be waiting for the firmware update. Please don't let us down. I'm too old to start dating again.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C200 PTZ now working with HomeAssistant-Solution
2022-01-01 15:48:36 - last edited 2022-01-05 08:32:21

@Solla-topee I think you guys really should write a guide on how to configure the ONVIF

It took me ages to "guess" how to configure in Agent DVR \ Ispy and actually it didn't need to be so painful

I turns out when configuring Agent DVR or ISPY its important to pick ONVIF as the source type.

Otherwise the PTZ does not work

The URL I used was completely wrong but still allowed streaming.

It should have been http://192.168.1.238:2020/onvif/device_service

Working Video Source configuration: (with username:password) removed

Working PTZ configuration

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 PTZ now working with HomeAssistant
2020-12-08 09:47:00 - last edited 2020-12-08 09:49:49

@darolan Totally agree. There is no reason to force people just to use your App. Some of us want to use a PC as a security system or an NVR as Darolan does but that is no good without PTZ. You shouldn't  have to use a phone just to move the camera when you can already view and record the stream on a PC.

Fix it quickly TPLink and stop with the delaying tactics.

Options
2020-12-09 04:36:34

@darolan Completely agree with you...

Options
2020-12-09 07:28:10

@vascodx 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your continuous concern about this case.

We already have the plan to add PTZ over ONVIF on the Tapo C200.

Please wait for the updated news on the official website.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-12-16 12:21:56
Would you have a release date for us ?
Options
2020-12-22 09:29:56

@VikATo 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

I am afraid that there is no exact date for the PTZ over ONVIF now.

It is planned to release on Q1 of 2021 and hope everything would come as expected.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-04-05 17:10:57

@TP-Link do you have any information on that matter ?

Options
2022-01-01 09:05:21 - last edited 2022-01-01 13:27:48

So TP-Link its been a very long time since people raised the Lack of PTZ support outside your app.

Whilst we totally get that you want to try and force your customers to use your Tapo Care so you can make more money/

There are people like myself who feel that for those more technical users (who bought the C200 for its PTZ and ONVIF support) and were naturally disappointed to find the lack of PTZ support outside of your app.

Options
2022-01-01 11:36:28 - last edited 2022-01-01 11:37:31

Hello @DaveKni 

Tapo C200  already supports ONVIF PTZ in the firmware released around July 2021, please confirm your camera firmware are  up-to-date. 

Here is a related thread discussing the same topic

https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/189382?replyId=616642

If not ONVIF PTZ does not work in your surveillance software, can I know 1) which third party software you are currently using 2)  the software version 3) May I now the URL use the ONVIF PTZ & a photo of Error 3) Mac address your tapo camera(share Mac by private message) ,  thank you

Options
2022-01-01 13:39:18

@Solla-topee Thank you.

I updated the firmware and PTZ now works with Home assistant, however it does not work with AGENT DVR

Agent DVR is getting the video stream however its not connecting to the PTZ function:

13:24:57 Connection Factory: Connection Factory: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.238:80
13:24:57 Error: Connection Factory: Connection Factory: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.238:80
13:24:57 Connection Factory: at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalEndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult) at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)

I don't think I need to configure anything as it uses the same URL as the video stream? or do I ?

Settings I can configure are as follows:

I tried these settings but it didn't work either:

I tried port 2020 and 554

The camera has a static IP set on my router 192.168.1.238

The camera account option has been configured

Options
Re:Tapo C200 PTZ now working with HomeAssistant-Solution
2022-01-01 15:48:36 - last edited 2022-01-05 08:32:21

@Solla-topee I think you guys really should write a guide on how to configure the ONVIF

It took me ages to "guess" how to configure in Agent DVR \ Ispy and actually it didn't need to be so painful

I turns out when configuring Agent DVR or ISPY its important to pick ONVIF as the source type.

Otherwise the PTZ does not work

The URL I used was completely wrong but still allowed streaming.

It should have been http://192.168.1.238:2020/onvif/device_service

Working Video Source configuration: (with username:password) removed

Working PTZ configuration

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 15560

Replies: 11