C200 only allows 5 mins of streaming before prompting!

2020-12-17 07:06:01 - last edited 2021-11-12 06:46:04
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.17

Hi my c200 randomly pops up the window after 5 minutes of monitoring and asks if I would like to continue the stream. How do I resolve this issue? It is my baby monitor and I need to be monitoring it continuously. I am watching the stream through the TAPO app, both my devices are on the same WIFI network, there are no firewall settings enabled that blocks devices within this network and lastly both my devices have the most updated software and/or firmware.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C200 only allows 5 mins of streaming before prompting!-Solution
2021-07-01 10:29:40 - last edited 2023-12-27 10:47:42

4/19 added troubleshooting step of ping test and collect camera log 

Hello everyone, 

If you cannot stream the Tapo camera continuously, please read this FAQ that helps explain the situation:

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

As a workaround, you could also try RTSP streaming on a computer or mobile phone  (Mobile apps shared by forum users for reference: VLCplayer, tinyCam ) : 

How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

Here is a related topic for view camera on PC

To stream Tapo camera in the Tapo app continuously,  make sure your mobile devices and the Tapo camera are connected to the same Wi-Fi /under the local network. 

When the phone is watching live view remotely, a ' Tap to continue' warning may pop up around 2~5 mins.

If your device is under local Wi-Fi but still prompts Tap to continue to message, try to troubleshoot as steps here: 

STEP1: Turn off the Mobile data on the phone, and ensure the phone connects to the same Wi-Fi name as the camera.

NOTE that if one of the phones is using mobile data or non-local Wi-Fi at that time, that may trigger the warning

STEP2: Turn off AP isolation and lower the firewall level on the host router 

Check if the phone or camera connects to an isolated network, like Guest Wi-Fi, or a different VLAN. 

STEP3: For IOS 14 devices, allow 'Local Network' permission for the Tapo app on IOS devices.  And confirm no VPN is running on your phones.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/293

STEP4: Ensure Tapo APP and camera firmware are up-to-date. 

STEP5: Confirm no other devices are streaming the camera.

If your mobile device is connected to local Wi-Fi but still has a warning, please Start a New thread  with information here, we can look into it further: 

1>  Model of router  & network topology, e.g.: Archer C7 router  <wireless>Tapo C200 

2> Model of your mobile device and its Android or IOS version

3>  Model and Mac address of your camera (please share MAC address with us via a private message)

4>  A photo of the error message & time

5>   Tapo APP version

6>  Get the log of the camera when the issue occurs 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

7> When the error pops up, try to ping the camera IP on the phone and see if there is any time out ( this is to check if communication between local devices is fine) 

follow 2.Check the delay between a camera and a phone on local network in instructions below

How to check the network connection stability of a Tapo Camera

Pic: enable Local Network for Tapo APP on iPhone

Recommended Solution
Options
41 Reply
Re:C200 only allows 5 mins of streaming before prompting!
2020-12-22 09:58:12

@lkenlken 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

Normally, there would be no time limitation for the local live view.

And the notification would only show up when the APP detected the data is transferring over cloud server.

If possible, could you please run the following test:

1. Disconnect the WAN connection from the modem, then open the APP again;

---in this way, the cloud communication would be cut off and only the local communication left, then check again whether the notification would come up;

2. May I know how long have you had the camera and when did this issue start

3. How about the notification frequency, like several times within one hour?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-02-04 12:16:32

@TP-Link hi thanks for the reply. 

1) how do you disconnect the WAN connection?

2) I just got it recently

3) notification is every 5mims

Thanks!

Options
2021-06-08 10:01:38

Any feedback ?

Options
2021-06-08 11:11:36

@lkenlken 

@Onno1907 

You need to disconnect the internet connection on your device.
Somehow it is connecting to the internet and then back to your camera's.

Instead of directly to your camera's.

You could also try to disable Mobile Data in the settings of the App.

On iOS go to  settings
Scroll down to Tapo App (and tap on it)
And turn off the mobile data (leave the localnetwork on!).

On Android:

Cameras: Tapo C100 | Tapo C200 | Tapo C310 | Tapo C320WS SmartPlugs: Tapo P100 | Tapo P115 LightBulbs: Tapo L530E | Tapo L630
Options
2021-06-30 13:17:16

Hi Uncle @TP-Link, what @lkenlken is saying is that in C200 (Also in my C200) after 5 minutes of watching, the App prompt if we would like to continue watching, i agree with the concern of we are spending data on Wifi or Mobile, but this is anoying because in example, i'm watching my baby while i work and if i distract one minute, the prompt stop the streaming and if i have a special point, i have to access the camera again and zoom the section. see next image;

Options
Re:C200 only allows 5 mins of streaming before prompting!-Solution
2021-07-01 10:29:40 - last edited 2023-12-27 10:47:42

4/19 added troubleshooting step of ping test and collect camera log 

Hello everyone, 

If you cannot stream the Tapo camera continuously, please read this FAQ that helps explain the situation:

Why can't I view the live stream of the Tapo camera continuously?

As a workaround, you could also try RTSP streaming on a computer or mobile phone  (Mobile apps shared by forum users for reference: VLCplayer, tinyCam ) : 

How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

Here is a related topic for view camera on PC

To stream Tapo camera in the Tapo app continuously,  make sure your mobile devices and the Tapo camera are connected to the same Wi-Fi /under the local network. 

When the phone is watching live view remotely, a ' Tap to continue' warning may pop up around 2~5 mins.

If your device is under local Wi-Fi but still prompts Tap to continue to message, try to troubleshoot as steps here: 

STEP1: Turn off the Mobile data on the phone, and ensure the phone connects to the same Wi-Fi name as the camera.

NOTE that if one of the phones is using mobile data or non-local Wi-Fi at that time, that may trigger the warning

STEP2: Turn off AP isolation and lower the firewall level on the host router 

Check if the phone or camera connects to an isolated network, like Guest Wi-Fi, or a different VLAN. 

STEP3: For IOS 14 devices, allow 'Local Network' permission for the Tapo app on IOS devices.  And confirm no VPN is running on your phones.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/293

STEP4: Ensure Tapo APP and camera firmware are up-to-date. 

STEP5: Confirm no other devices are streaming the camera.

If your mobile device is connected to local Wi-Fi but still has a warning, please Start a New thread  with information here, we can look into it further: 

1>  Model of router  & network topology, e.g.: Archer C7 router  <wireless>Tapo C200 

2> Model of your mobile device and its Android or IOS version

3>  Model and Mac address of your camera (please share MAC address with us via a private message)

4>  A photo of the error message & time

5>   Tapo APP version

6>  Get the log of the camera when the issue occurs 

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

7> When the error pops up, try to ping the camera IP on the phone and see if there is any time out ( this is to check if communication between local devices is fine) 

follow 2.Check the delay between a camera and a phone on local network in instructions below

How to check the network connection stability of a Tapo Camera

Pic: enable Local Network for Tapo APP on iPhone

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-18 09:46:46

@Solla-topee 

This is a terrible design! I am watching baby remotely and I can press this 5 minutes prompt every time!!!

Please remove this stupid function as soon as possible. It doesn't make sense at all!!!

Options
2021-10-05 01:52:10 - last edited 2021-10-05 01:53:15

@TP-Link 

I've seen the responses from Tapo that claim streaming is uninterrupted if you are connected to the same wifi network - this is untrue in my case as I am definitely connected to the same wifi as the camera is and the 5 minute timeout still pops up.

You guys need to fix this. Please do NOT tell us to use 3rd party software (like I've seen in other threads) - I may decide to do that on my own, but instructing your customers to use random 3rd party software creates a liability for YOU, and is incredibly unprofessional. A camera timeout that you cannot turn off with a security/monitoring camera is one of the worst software design decisions I've ever heard of.

Options
2021-10-13 07:03:59
YES, THIS PIECE OF JUNK! DON'T BUY THIS JUNK, ITS USELESS.
Options
2021-11-05 02:34:19

@Bogeyrex They still didn't fix this issue, 5 mins disconnection make this product aboslutely useless. piece of junk, and they never bother to fix it. 

Bogeyrex wrote

YES, THIS PIECE OF JUNK! DON'T BUY THIS JUNK, ITS USELESS.

Options

Information

Helpful: 40

Views: 31952

Replies: 41