Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline

Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline

2020-12-23 06:04:42 - last edited 2023-01-12 07:50:45
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.17

Hi

I have 4 tapo C200 cameras installed in my home. All of them have been updated with the latest firmware 1.0.17. I am using Singtel Mesh router with Mesh nodes in all the rooms. Wifi connection are pretty stable in the entire house. There is one standardize SSID which is used for all the 4 cameras and the entire house. I realise that after a few hours, 1 or 2 cameras seems to be suddenly disconnected and appear offline. I have to manually power off and on the camera switch to let it reboot and then it gets connected back to the wifi network again. Can you advise what should I do so that all my 4 cameras will be online 24/7? My mesh router is dual band. Does turning off 5Ghz helps since the cameras can only support 2.4Ghz? Should I use Dynamic or Static IP address? Any router config to prevent disconnection?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Kc

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline-Solution
2021-06-29 02:38:25 - last edited 2022-06-16 11:28:36

Hello everyone, 

If you  experience some unstable issue with Tapo camera , please check out some tips in FAQ here that may help!

Troubleshooting FAQ: What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

If the same issue persist, Start a New thread  and help provide some details at the end of thread

1. Make sure the camera is receiving a good signal by checking the signal strength of the camera on the APP

Ensure Tapo smart device is receiving a Good Wi-Fi signal by checking RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)

Tapo APP->tap  in the left top> Camera Settings->tap the device name ->tap Wi-Fi icon to see signal strength (the value of RSSI)

Strong: less than -50 dBm

Good to Average: among -50 dBm to -70 dBm

Poor: less than -70 dBm

Note: If RSSI is less than -70dBm, the signal is too weak, smart device disconnections are likely, relocate the smart device or router to get a stronger Wi-Fi signal.

2. Confirm Camera firmware and Tapo APP version are up to date 

3. Turn off Advanced Wi-Fi settings on the router like Band Steering (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘), Wi-Fi Optimizing or ‘Channel optimization’ etc.

4. Try changing Router's DNS Settings

Primary DNS 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

5. [Optional] Try to configure the smart device to another router’s 2.4G Wi-Fi or a mobile Hotspot Wi-Fi to verify whether this issue is related to the specific router.

If the issue persists despite the above steps, please start a new thread  and help provide some details and so we could help look into further 

1. Led status on a smart device when it is offline: Red/ Flashing Green/ Solid Green etc.

2. MAC address of the Camera ( please share via Private message)

3. When the issue occurs, does the smart device work in the local network?

For a test, connect your mobile device to the home Wi-Fi network at that time and see if the Tapo device is still accessible in the local network?

4. the model number Wi-Fi router and your network topology:

e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router<Wireless> tapo device

5. How often does the issue happen, and how does the recover the connection, like reboot the camera or reboot the router?

6. Enable Diagnose mode, get the log of the camera, and share the log file.

How to Get the Log of Tapo Camera?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline-Solution
2023-01-12 07:47:20 - last edited 2023-01-12 07:50:48

@TT1888 

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback here, if you experience Camera unstable or Camera offline issues,

Please Start a New thread here.

You can ask specific questions and provide details of the problem, and other users can help!

Please also check out some tips in FAQ here that may help!

FAQ: What should I do if my Tapo smart camera keeps losing connection or going Offline?

Note: this thread will be closed for us to assist with your case better ,  you can Start a New thread for your camera. 

Recommended Solution
Options
90 Reply
Re:Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline
2020-12-24 19:03:58

@Kel

I have the very same experience (unpredictable going offline) with four Tapo C100 cameras, the latest firmware installed. Any piece of advice regarding that could mend that would be very wellcome.

Options
Re:Some of the Tapo C200 Cameras Keep Disconnecting from Home Wifi and appears to be Offline
2020-12-24 23:10:15

@Kel 

I have the same issue too with my C200. After the latest firmware update, the connection with my camera is fully unstable. Before this update everything was fine.

Options
2020-12-25 09:33:44

@Spongya 

Hi, All,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Could you please help me check the following information before we forward your case to our senior engineers:

1. Would the system LED on the camera turn red when it is offline?

2.What is the model number of your mesh router or Wi-Fi router?

3.if possible, please try to create a separate guest network with 2.4ghz only and connect all the cameras to the guest Wi-Fi to see if the issue still here?

4.Would you still be able to see the camera on the DHCP list or online device list of your main router?

Thanks a lot and wait for your reply.

Options
2020-12-25 12:51:06
1) I have system LED disabled in all 4 Tapo C100 cameras 2) My main router is Mikrotik hAP ac and I also use Omada controller OC200 with latest firmware. 3) 4) When a camera is listed as "offline" in Tapo android application on my phone, in the control panel of OC200 controller in the "clients" window the offline camera is still listed as "connected" but ip address and hostname disappear, only the "username" remains. When in the very same window I click on "Reconnect", it tries to, it takes a minute, but after all that the same situation - the offline camera is still listed as "connected" but ip address and hostname disappear, only the "username" remains. 5) All of my four cameras are equipped with 64GB micro-SD cards. Any of the cameras could go offline, but it never happened, that more than two cameras went offline at the same period of time.
Options
2020-12-29 03:55:11

@VitaliyT 

Hi, we would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box later.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-29 15:20:15

@TP-Link 

You keep asking the same questions in so many topics about the connection problems and you also keep saying you want to follow by email. You never contact us by email, and even if you do, you never provide solutions and/or answers to the problem. Instead of doing that to your customers, provide official responses. Acknowledge the problem and at least provide some kind of answer to ALL of us waiting for those malfunctioning cameras to work as intended... 

Options
2020-12-31 01:52:19

@Kel @TP-Link 

I also have the same problem. Purchased a new Tapo Camera C200 two days ago, it goes offline frequently since it started working from the first day, reported to the TPLink technical support , no follow up, only ask the same questions, no solution at all. Disappointed! 

Options
2021-01-04 16:13:36

@Kel  @TP-Link 

I have the same problem with Tapo C200.  
It seems that if there is a mesh system involved in the network connected to the camera. It will go offline depending on wich network nod the camera is connected too. 

I have a router Sagemcom c5001 along with AirTies 4920 connected as mesh, and I have notice that if I disconnect the Airties  (mesh nod) the Camera will be online all the time.  But when the AirTies is connected the camera will radomly go offline (blinking green). 

My conclusion is that the camera will only recognize  the wifi signal  from the main router and not from the mesh nods.  

A possible workaround to the problem is to add a guest network that only is active on the main router and connect the camera to that network. (I haven't tried it myself.)

Options
2021-01-29 09:27:38

same thing happens to me too. 

they will appear OFFLINE then sometimes appear back online. latest firmware, tenda mesh system. 

i also have a p100 plug configured that has never gone offline. 

i've turned led off. 

no sd card

latest firmware 

help?

Options
2021-01-30 08:02:30

Also getting the same issue with 4 cameras, using 1.0.17 firmware and Tenda mesh network.

Different cameras will randomly go offline and not come back online unless I fully power-cycle the camera experiencing the problem. Cameras with this issue will show only a green blinking light whilst offline and not red.

Options

Information

Helpful: 18

Views: 41539

Replies: 90