Please TP-Link, fix this now(C310)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-05 06:47:30 - last edited 2022-01-05 05:45:51
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

I have own  a couple of C310's for a few months now and everything works well accept one thing; the camera sensitivity.
 When its dark outside the camera reacts on snow, dust, rain or a little insect on the lowest sensitivity settings.
There have been a few firmware updates since I brought it, but those doesn't improve this problem.
 Several members on this forum and on other websites have experience this problem too, so it is a common problem.

I have write about this before on this forum, but haven't seen any improvement from TP-Link yet.

Here is my advice, I have tried several different WiFi camera through the years from different manufactures and from experience with them you on  TP-Link could easily fix this problem.

1) Add a setting in the app for sensitivity on small objects(dust, snow, rain, insects), other WiFi cameras have that in their app's and it works well.

2) Change the camera sensitivity setting from three steps to 0-100% instead.

Ths would probably fix the whole problem, because the cameras for the moment doesn't do what TP-Link promise them to do.
 They give false alarm a lot on the nights which result that you turn them off in  order to not Wake Up several times each night. 
 You buy this camera for feeling safe in this night,  not turn them off in the night due to the false alarms.

So please @TP-Link , fix this and do some changes in the app. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Please TP-Link, fix this now(C310)-Solution
2022-01-05 05:45:36 - last edited 2022-01-05 05:53:14

@yorwos 

Hello everyone, 

If you have similar concern with Tapo camera Motion Detection sensitivity, please try some suggestions in related thread here:

Tapo C310 sensitivity

Feel free to leave your comment on the above thread

Thank you

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:Please TP-Link, fix this now(C310)
2021-02-08 12:07:24

@PeterSwe 

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

The feedback is very useful and it has been recorded already.

Now, we might need to gather more approval of this feedback to speed up the process.

And if anyone had the same request, please feel free to update it here.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-02-08 18:59:26 - last edited 2021-02-08 19:00:16

@TP-Link 

I think @Tonybee have the same problem and reviews from Amazon from a guy called Ryan, ohan, Ryan C and rustybell11 (have marked with bold text)

@Tonybee wrote

My C310 picks up traffic and people walking across the end of our road at over 20m away.

Triggers alerts and records every one of them. And every rain drop that falls in front of the  lens at night :(

Ryan Wrote
Overly sensitive despite being on the lowest setting
The picture quality is great when set to 3MP rather than the default 1080p however even on the lowest sensitivity setting the camera is constantly being activated by every little thing including rain, even a very light shower triggers the motion detection constantly and frankly ruins the usability of the camera.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews//B08K3KKNBY/ref=acr_dpComparsion_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

ohan wrote
good cam but...
To clarify, the cam is positioned upstairs looking out of window down into the garden on a quiet street with IR lights turned off and recording on micro SD.
Am sure the cam could have been made smaller but has good picture quality, specially in low light.
Unfortunately thats where things grind to a halt because:
Over sensitive even at its lowest setting, gets triggered by distant car headlights.
Activity zone adjustment is a gimmick not functional- if it sees it, it will get recorded basically.
No way to set duration for clips recorded after each trigger, it carries on recording way too long.
No preview image of what triggered the cam, could have been a cars headlight, fox or an
uninvited visitor fly tipping by your fence. - my older cams app had this facility.
If notifications are ON- be prepared to get bombarded but at a delayed rate.
So at the end you are stuck wasting a good hour each day going through clips recorded at various playback speeds to see what triggered the cam.
Am sure if used indoors in the pitch dark or for monitoring children or pets it would be perfect.

Ryan C wrote

We bought this camera as a security device for a temporarily unoccupied property. Overall it's very easy to set up and control from the app, and the video feed provides us with peace of mind.

After we first set this camera up and left, it would randomly send motion detection alerts to my phone several times an hour. Unless our flat is somehow haunted without our knowing, these alerts must be bogus. After reducing the motion detection sensitivity to its lowest level and reducing the field of view used to detect motion, the alerts are now less frequent but still occur for no apparent reason.

Another issue is that there seems to be no option to upload recorded footage to a cloud storage provider. The only way to record footage is to store it locally on an SD card, which is not included. Not being able to record footage significantly reduces the usefullness of this camera - ideally it would start recording whenever motion is detected and show those recordings in the app.

rustybelle11 wrote
For a cheap camera it’s really good. The camera is controlled through the Tapo Camera App which lets you customise the camera, set alerts, detection zones, recording schedule, view the camera in live mode with sound on, watch recorded footage, change settings like having night vision on or off and turning led light off etc.

The camera is not compatible with the Kasa app.

The SD card is basically at the base of the black camera unit which has to be panned to the top to insert it. If someone was in a rush they wouldn’t find the slot as it is concealed unless the camera is literally pointing at the roof.

I have a 64gb memory card and have it continuous recording. I am so far up to 7days and it hasn’t recorded over itself yet so potentially has a long record time.

You can watch back footage and record bits you want or take still pictures which have then saved into my camera roll on the phone which could be sent to other people if needed.

The detection settings are a bit too sensitive it picks up dust passing the camera which has then given a notification. I have turned these to the lowest settings which work well but get the odd false alarm.

You can set detection zones which can be a bit fiddly to set up but you basically need to drag the box over the area you want and then resize the other part of the box to make it fit the area you want. This will make sense when you try it.

The camera I found really easy to set up and use from the app. I used my iPhone. The camera needs to connect to wifi. This is done by turning it on and going to the Wi-fi list on the actual phone not the app and the camera appears on that list. The app then guides you through the actual set up then.

The picture quality I have found to be really good night or day if used indoors. I don’t know how good it would be if you pointed it through a window but is good over short distances.

I have used the camera several times whilst in another location and found the app works well live viewing and playing back footage.

Privacy mode stops the camera recording video and sound.

Options
2021-03-13 13:08:04

@TP-Link 

TP-Link wrote
Now, we might need to gather more approval of this feedback to speed up the process.

Read my post above, its from other users reviews on the C310 :)

Options
2021-03-29 05:41:14

@TP-Link I raise my hand here, having the same problem. Rain, snow, the shadow of the Sun when hiding quickly behind a cloud, or even a small insect flying through in front of the camera triggers the activity notification. While I know there is no PIR sensor included, a better algorithm surely can be developed for activity detection.

Options
2021-03-30 20:09:42 - last edited 2021-03-30 20:09:54

@zsygab 

Thanks for telling, I hope @TP-Link reply on this one :)

Options
2021-10-17 20:02:45

Agreed, bought mine to replace a Blink camera which never gave false triggers.

I don't need to get the weather as I get the notification that it's raining, even on low sensitivity.

Options
2021-10-20 08:11:23

@westland16 
The only thing to do is keep telling @TP-Link  that they need to fix this...

Options
2021-12-25 07:00:46 - last edited 2021-12-25 07:01:24

@TP-Link Please fix this,

I use email notifications and a few weeks ago, during a long rainy night, the number of notifications sent out made smtp/hotmail block my account (for about a day) as they believed I was on a spamming spree where more that 800 emails were sent

Options
2022-01-04 21:14:39
PLEASE FIX THIS Hardware Version 1.0 Firmware Version 1.1.12 I have over 15 notifications EVERYDAY because of car lights that bounce through white walls in the neighbourhood . Person Detection from Lights Person Detection from passing cars Line Crossing Detection from Lights I am going to return it as defective is this is not fixed.
Options
Re:Please TP-Link, fix this now(C310)-Solution
2022-01-05 05:45:36 - last edited 2022-01-05 05:53:14

@yorwos 

Hello everyone, 

If you have similar concern with Tapo camera Motion Detection sensitivity, please try some suggestions in related thread here:

Tapo C310 sensitivity

Feel free to leave your comment on the above thread

Thank you

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 2737

Replies: 18

Related Articles