C100 Ability to Turn Off IR LEDs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-06 20:33:43 - last edited 2022-09-14 11:41:50
Model: Tapo C100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.17

So, I already know that there is no functionality to turn off the IR LEDs on the C100 at the moment. However, I have two C100 cameras mounted to exterior windows at the front and rear of my house. 

There is sufficient light on one side for the camera to stay in day mode and be of good quality. 

However the side is darker but will be fine in night mode, however when the IR LEDs kick in these reflect off the window making it useless. Is there any chance the engineers can the functionality for us to choose night mode but turn the LEDs off if required??

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:C100 Ability to Turn Off IR LEDs-Solution
2021-03-10 08:02:53 - last edited 2022-09-22 01:28:03

Hello everyone

1.The IR led can be turned OFF by switching the AUTO Mode to Day mode on the left top of Live view page in the Tapo APP as the pic. below

2. If there is enough light source at night, you could switch camera to Day Mode and the IR Led will be OFF. 

In Night Mode, the IR Led will be the source of infrared light to detect invisible wavelengths and illuminate images in the dark.

The light from the LED itself is visible due to its hardware, so the IR Led will be ON in the Night mode. 

Generally, it is not recommended pointing the camera directly at a glass window if you want to use Night mode,  as glass will reflect light and will result in a fuzzy or poor image.

If you want camera monitoring outside views, you probably have to consider an outdoor camera.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-26 06:00:40 - last edited 2022-06-15 00:58:30
To turn off night vision . On top of live camera display screen where it probably says AUTO. Click on this and you have the option to select DAY vision, NIGHT vision or AUTO. Selecting DAY vision turns off the IR LEDs . Works for me as the streetlighting is adequate outside my property. Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
27 Reply
2021-03-10 08:02:53 - last edited 2022-09-22 01:28:03

Hello everyone

1.The IR led can be turned OFF by switching the AUTO Mode to Day mode on the left top of Live view page in the Tapo APP as the pic. below

2. If there is enough light source at night, you could switch camera to Day Mode and the IR Led will be OFF. 

In Night Mode, the IR Led will be the source of infrared light to detect invisible wavelengths and illuminate images in the dark.

The light from the LED itself is visible due to its hardware, so the IR Led will be ON in the Night mode. 

Generally, it is not recommended pointing the camera directly at a glass window if you want to use Night mode,  as glass will reflect light and will result in a fuzzy or poor image.

If you want camera monitoring outside views, you probably have to consider an outdoor camera.  

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:C100 Ability to Turn Off IR LEDs
2021-08-18 06:23:00 - last edited 2021-08-18 06:42:12

@Solla-topee What about those of us that have exterior IR floodlights and cannot use outdoor cameras due to risk of tampering?

Options
2021-08-18 09:45:26

@Solla-topee has clearly not read my message. Is this the quality of support we can expect? Poor form TP-Link.

Options
2021-08-18 11:30:07

@Solla-topee  believe it or not there are other sources of infra red light that the camera will pick up. A simple option to turn off the IR LEDs would not cause the camera to not work, it would just mean those of us with other ambient light sources could record the outside without the glass reflecting the IR LEDs. 

It's a simple option, with little to no negatives but TP Link obviously aren't bothered or their engineers aren't good enough for a simple software update.

Options
2021-08-19 08:44:02

@namenottaken Sorry that I did not fully get your question firstly, now I understand you have external IR Led for the outside environment.

@Scuffer Thank you all for the suggestion on the IR Led, I would record your feedback first for further evaluation. 

Options
2021-10-26 06:00:40 - last edited 2022-06-15 00:58:30
To turn off night vision . On top of live camera display screen where it probably says AUTO. Click on this and you have the option to select DAY vision, NIGHT vision or AUTO. Selecting DAY vision turns off the IR LEDs . Works for me as the streetlighting is adequate outside my property. Hope this helps.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-10-27 07:39:53

@Parratt Yes I'm aware of that  however that then keeps the camera recording in colour which is poor quality. Whereas in monochrome the video is much clearer. It's really not hard to have a camera that switches to monochrome and still has the ability to have the IR LEDs turn off. It's less of an issue now, the Tapo cameras have been retired because of the poor functionality and another brand has replaced them that gives the ability for colour night vision.

Options
2021-10-31 17:16:05 - last edited 2021-10-31 17:16:44

@Parratt .You clearly misunderstand the problem. I wish to keep the camera in infrared mode (i.e. NIGHT mode) but turn off the built-in IR LEDs and use external IR illumination. DAY mode does not have an IR vision and requires visible light illumination. The whole point of IR vision is so that I don't have to have the entire area lit up through the night. And no, motion activated lights is not a solution.

Options
2021-11-01 11:36:17 - last edited 2021-11-01 11:36:45

namenottaken wrote

@Parratt .You clearly misunderstand the problem. I wish to keep the camera in infrared mode (i.e. NIGHT mode) but turn off the built-in IR LEDs and use external IR illumination. DAY mode does not have an IR vision and requires visible light illumination. The whole point of IR vision is so that I don't have to have the entire area lit up through the night. And no, motion activated lights is not a solution.

I would like the same capability for my TC60 as I also posted elsewhere. I would also like to run my camera in night mode with IR LEDs switched off.

A key reason is the video noise generated when using daytime mode at night makes the compression algorithm less efficient and the SD card is filled up much, much faster.

I can imagine the unfortunate possibility that the hardware has not been designed to allow the IR filter and the IR LEDs to be controlled independently of each other to simplify the control logic. But if this is not the case, the facility to switch off IR LEDs in night mode should be provided for these cameras in a future software update as otherwise night  mode is completely unusable behind glass.

By the way, I read a post somewhere in an Amazon product review comment from a user who said he had levered the front cover off his camera and removed the IR LED module which he claimed could be simply lifted / unplugged from the main module - I will quote the response here just for reference but obviously this is unverified and not recommended.

A: It’s not a software change, it’s a hardware hack. While you can turn off the ir in software, the camera stays in day mode, what you want is it to go into night mode but no IR lights. If you remove the front panel, the IR module is just plugged into the main board and surrounds the camera lens. You can simply lift the IR module off the main board and remove it completely from the camera then put the front panel back on. Although this is a very simple task, Just remember if you do this, you risk damaging the front panel of the camera and you will likely void any warranty for the camera. You do it at your own risk. But it worked great for me.
By Ronnie on 10 September 2021

Also this user did not confirm which model he had. I contemplated the possibility of doing this with my TC60 but without knowing any specific techniques or trick to remove the front cover without excessive force there seems a high risk of damage and certainly voided warranty.

The amount of comments both on Amazon reviews and here about wanting to disable IR LEDs should be a strong signal to TP-Link that this is a significant user concern.

Options
2021-11-01 16:37:46 - last edited 2021-11-01 16:49:42

@namenottaken I solved it. It is not an easy fix however. 

I had an old Belkin cam which was no longer used as the company shut down the service. I kept the camera "in case" I could use it later. Today is later. I harvested the IR emitter ring from within the old camera. It has a light sensor as well. I cut the old power cable end and soldered it directly to the IR emitter ring. I now have an invisible IR light source. The NEW camera, C100, has a VERY EASILY removed IR emitter board. I just used a thin flat screwdriver to carefully pop the black face plate off and simply pulled the IR board out. It is only held in by its connector, no screws no clips. The camera works normally without this. Replaced the faceplate and powered it up. It works the same as before. Now, I set it up against my window with no glare and set the IR light outside. When it gets dark my camera goes to night mode and the outside IR lights turn on. I tested everything in a dark bathroom before I set it up. The C100 has no IR and sees nothing in the dark but when I plugged the IR ring in and the sensor turned on the IR, the camera sees like daylight.

This picture shows on the left the IR board from the C100, super easy to remove. The right shows the IR ring from my old camera, I glued back on the black plate and will silicone the egdes neatly to weatherproof it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 17

Views: 19242

Replies: 27

Related Articles