Tapo L530E Stuck at PAIRING YOUR TAPO DEVICE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-16 09:12:48 - last edited 2022-08-10 02:07:05
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello! I recently bought a Tapo L530E light bulb. I tried setting it up but the app takes a long time at PAIRING YOUR TAPO DEVICE. After that, it shows an error PAIRING FAILED. I tried all the steps recommended but still stuck in the PAIRING YOUR TAPO DEVICE before showing the PAIRING FAILED screen again. I am using a Huawei EchoLife HG8145V5 Router. I am connected to the 2.4Ghz band with WPA/WPA2 PSK (TKIP&AES) settings. I tried it with AES only but still the same error is encountered.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo L530E Stuck at PAIRING YOUR TAPO DEVICE-Solution
2021-09-17 11:08:25 - last edited 2021-09-17 11:12:34
Hello! The problem was solved when I used another mobile phone. It paired smoothly using Redmi Note 10s. The problematic phone is a Redmi Note 9 Pro with Tapo App Version 2.4.25. I hope Tapo will do something about it. Thank you.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-09 03:35:34 - last edited 2022-06-13 02:21:50

Kindly leave the Model of your  home router & Model of phone and phone OS version to help locate and fix the issue, thank you!

Hello everyone ,

If your bulb failed to connect to encrypted / secured Wi-Fi network, it could be related  to router’s wireless security settings. You could try some suggestions here: 

• Make sure bulb firmware and tapo APP are both upto date
  • (Optional) Try a different phone if you got one ( shared by forum users who used to use Redmi/ Xiaomi mobile phone)
  • Confirm you have put in correct Wi-Fi password: 1) examine your wifi password on the router's wifi settings 2)  verirfy password in this way:

Go to Settings-> Wi-Fi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's Wi-Fi name  ->Forget / Delete the network , later manually connect to router's Wi-Fi , will it accept your Wi-Fi password

• (Optional )Try a Simple Wi-Fi SSID like one -word SSID      shared by @Lanze  
  • (Optional )Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits (you could test a Guest Wifi network here)
  • If router uses WPA3 , try  wireless security type as WPA/WPA2- PSK (AES) on Wi-Fi router
  • (Optional )Try a Hotspot Wi-Fi and see if bulb could connect to it 
  • (Optional) Try to switch off Band- steering  (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘ on some Wi-Fi router)/Mesh option temporarily 
  • (Optional) Tapo bulb only support 2.4Ghz wifi, use different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz wifi & 5Ghz wifi in case 5Ghz band confuses the bulb. 

If the above does not work,  please let me the steps you've tried and also help confirm details here, and we will escalate your case: 

•  Model of router:  a  photo of router's wireless (security ) settings if possible
  •  Model of  phone and its Android or IOS version:
  • Error message on Tapo APP
  • Does smart device connect to router directly or through extender? 

Many thanks!

FYI :I will be marking this post as the solution to this topic, in order for users to find these troubleshooting in full easily 

Kindly note the above steps are optional for users to test. 

Recommended Solution
Options
21 Reply
Re:Tapo L530E Stuck at PAIRING YOUR TAPO DEVICE
2021-09-16 16:25:49 - last edited 2021-09-16 16:31:50

@PinkSpider 

Exactly the same problem here.

I've encountered here some issues with people getting the same issue but being able to connect if the network is not password protected, being that is not really a valid option.

Also the response to make an "easier" password is clearly not good option, an although I have a relatively easy pass with no special caracters the issue remains. There is clearly some problem with this product if there are so many people having the exact same issue.

Options
2021-09-17 08:58:08 - last edited 2021-12-09 04:29:10

Hello @PinkSpider

It seems that  Huawei HG8145V5  have feature called Band Steering , page 6 of the UserGuide found online:  https://www.time.com.my/sites/default/files/uploads/Huawei%20HG8145V5%20WA8021V5%20-%20WiFi%20Setting%20Guide.pdf

• Try to switch off Band- steering  (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘ on some wifi router) and see if bulb could connect to it
Options
2021-09-17 09:01:42 - last edited 2021-09-17 09:53:24

Hey @cmfm,

If bulb was able to connect to unsecured wifi on router, it could be related to the router security settings

I updated some troubleshooting on this related thread discussing the same topic, can you help confirm some details there or start a new thread for your concern, feel free to let us know how it goes  many thanks!

Options
2021-09-17 09:45:17

@Solla-topee hello! The SSID of my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are different, thus, band steering is turned off.

Options
2021-09-17 11:08:25 - last edited 2021-09-17 11:12:34
Hello! The problem was solved when I used another mobile phone. It paired smoothly using Redmi Note 10s. The problematic phone is a Redmi Note 9 Pro with Tapo App Version 2.4.25. I hope Tapo will do something about it. Thank you.
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-17 11:14:38

@PinkSpider Thank you for update the solutionyes

We will forward your case to our team for a check and keep monitoring the similar feedback, thank you. 

Options
2021-10-11 07:00:30

hello! The SSID of my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are different, thus, band steering is turned off.

Options
2021-12-09 03:11:19 - last edited 2021-12-09 03:36:35

Hello @Grandfit sorry I missed your case in first time, may I know were you able to set up the bulb at last? Thank you.  

Options
2021-12-09 03:35:34 - last edited 2022-06-13 02:21:50

Kindly leave the Model of your  home router & Model of phone and phone OS version to help locate and fix the issue, thank you!

Hello everyone ,

If your bulb failed to connect to encrypted / secured Wi-Fi network, it could be related  to router’s wireless security settings. You could try some suggestions here: 

• Make sure bulb firmware and tapo APP are both upto date
  • (Optional) Try a different phone if you got one ( shared by forum users who used to use Redmi/ Xiaomi mobile phone)
  • Confirm you have put in correct Wi-Fi password: 1) examine your wifi password on the router's wifi settings 2)  verirfy password in this way:

Go to Settings-> Wi-Fi on your phone, Tap (or Long press  the router's Wi-Fi name  ->Forget / Delete the network , later manually connect to router's Wi-Fi , will it accept your Wi-Fi password

• (Optional )Try a Simple Wi-Fi SSID like one -word SSID      shared by @Lanze  
  • (Optional )Try a Wi-Fi password less than 16 digits (you could test a Guest Wifi network here)
  • If router uses WPA3 , try  wireless security type as WPA/WPA2- PSK (AES) on Wi-Fi router
  • (Optional )Try a Hotspot Wi-Fi and see if bulb could connect to it 
  • (Optional) Try to switch off Band- steering  (also called ‘Smart Connect’ or ‘Whole-Home Wi-Fi ‘ on some Wi-Fi router)/Mesh option temporarily 
  • (Optional) Tapo bulb only support 2.4Ghz wifi, use different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz wifi & 5Ghz wifi in case 5Ghz band confuses the bulb. 

If the above does not work,  please let me the steps you've tried and also help confirm details here, and we will escalate your case: 

•  Model of router:  a  photo of router's wireless (security ) settings if possible
  •  Model of  phone and its Android or IOS version:
  • Error message on Tapo APP
  • Does smart device connect to router directly or through extender? 

Many thanks!

FYI :I will be marking this post as the solution to this topic, in order for users to find these troubleshooting in full easily 

Kindly note the above steps are optional for users to test. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-12-09 08:41:16

@Solla-topee 

Dame issue as other members. My phone os Xiamoi RedMi Note 9 Pro and I could connect my Tapo setting mi wifi without password. I tried several password lengths and I could connect my Tapo with 12 or less password lengths. If It set up a password of 13 or bigger, my Tapo doesn't connect, very strange.....

Options

Information

Helpful: 17

Views: 26106

Replies: 23