Tapo TC65 Motion detection too sensitive and AI person detection not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 08:58:30 - last edited 2022-08-15 09:11:08
Model: Tapo C310  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.12

Hi i have purchased a TC65 camera having done some research and not wanting to pay the very high prices of the standard brands in the home security market but thought this camera might be the right one for me as it is marketed as an outdoor security camera. I am I happy with the camera quality and picture quality but it is almost unusable as a security camera! 

The camera motion detection, Line crossing and Area intrusion all suffer from the same problems outlines in the thread “Tapo C310 sensitivity” so i have switched these off as they detect motion from flies, headlights etc. and create too many recordings and notifications making it unusable. 

I dont really want to pay a monthly subscription but have tried the AI people Detection but again this is almost unusable - it does not pick up any people motion at night and misses some key ones during daylight e.g. my wife getting into car this morning! So completely defeats the aim of this as i want to rely on it as a security camera. 

Please can you tell me if there is anything i can try or do i need to bin the camera and go to one of the main brands in the market? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo TC65 Motion detection too sensitive and AI person detection not working
2022-10-13 05:47:45

@Vorny 

Thank you for the feedback, as the camera motion sensor detects the motion compared to the pixel changes, the false alerts can only be reduced as much as possible by adjusted some settings. 

For frequent notifications it is recommended to double-check if there is any movement or change of light in the triggered motion detection video clips,  motion detection could be triggered at the time when the camera captures an image change caused by moving objects or change of light. Please check some tips here in FAQ here to reduce unwanted detection activities

How to reduce motion detections from rain,snow or insects

•  Confirm Tapo camera firmware and Tapo APP are both up to date

•  Adjust Activity Zone and avoid the area that has frequent movements  e.g. Exclude the area with light changes  like sunset/sunrise, Leaves waving in the wind etc.

• Set Camera Sensitivity to Low

• Turn on AI Detection (Person Detection) and deactivate other Motion Detection settings if the camera supports AI Detection

• Try Not to point camera to the busy public areas like busy streets, lanes etc. 

Options
Re:Tapo TC65 Motion detection too sensitive and AI person detection not working
2022-11-21 09:29:43

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for your comments.

I am having an issue with insects triggering the AI person detection in the dark to the point of it triggering camera tampering. It would appear the insects are attracted to the IR light emitted (assumed for night mode). The obvious answer is to turn it onto day mode but then you don't see a great deal. 

It would be helpful if there was adjustability on the night mode illuminators to try and reduce this.

Note for future, use some type of filter to filter out the wavelength of light that attracts the bugs other products do this I have read.

Yours tiredly.

Nigel

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1797

Replies: 2