KS220M - combination manual and motion triggering of light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-09 03:15:33 - last edited 2022-09-09 03:26:51
Model: KS220M  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hello,

I recently installed a KS220M in my front hallway and am looking to have the following functionality:

- light should turn off with manual trigger if the light was turned on by manual trigger

- light should automatically turn off after x amount of time with no motion, if the light was triggered on by motion

Is it possible to set the unit up to work in this fashion? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:KS220M - combination manual and motion triggering of light
2022-09-13 03:00:42 - last edited 2022-09-13 03:02:20

Hello  @tsjaffer

Thank you for being interested in the Motion Active Dimmer switch KS220M/ES20M

For your questions, the switch can only meet the 2nd point you mentioned. 

1) The light can be turned off with 1)  manual trigger or 2)by  Motion sensor rules when the light was turned on by manual trigger

When the light is turned on manually, when there is no motion, you will need to manually turn off the switch. 

If there is a motion, the motion senors will still work or will be rigged  following the rules setting up for the motion sensor (called Smart Control in the Kasa APP)

If you motion senor can be set to be 'deactivated'  for up to 1 min by setting up 'Manual OFF buffer' like photo attached below 

2) Yes, In the KS220M/ES20M Motion sensor setup,  you can set up How to turn off the light - when there is no Motion for X minutes. 

How To Configure the Motion Sensor Feature on the KS220M Smart Switch

You could also learn of the features of switch from the UG of ES20M/KS220M here

Hope the information help. 

Options
2022-11-29 05:56:40

@Solla-topee  I noted that on KS220M, if the light is turned on manually (e.g. pressing the switch or using Kasa App), it won't be turned off by Smart Control settings when no motion is detected, whether the trigger ON is set to manual only or motion/light.  If this behavior is by design, it does not make much sense, especially when smart control is configured to "manual only ON and no motion OFF". 

It should not require a user to know how the light is turned on to determine whether the light will he/she need turn off the light manually.  At least, an option of "the switch will always turn off the light automatically according to smart control configuration no matter how it is turned on (I think it is usually the reason such motion switch is purchased in the first place)" should be given to the user. 

On the other hand, UI could be given that if a user want to override the default/configured auto off configuration, he/she can long press or double tap the switch button.  Usually the user should have a pretty good idea at the time of turning on the light that he/she wants to keep the light on or just temporarily override the motion/light trigger ON setting.

Options
2023-01-03 06:19:03 - last edited 2023-01-03 06:19:49

@eshmh The behavior you describe - if the light is turned on manually it MUST be turned off manually and won't turn off automatically regardless of the motion setting - was just implemented in the most recent firmware update. I confirmed this with TP-Link support. Prior to the most recent firmware update, if the switch was set to turn off when there's no motion it would always do that even if it was turned on manually. I complained about this and they said they are still working on this feature and there should be another update soon. 

The whole reason I bought this switch was because people would routinely leave the previous manual switch turned on after leaving the room. Now the smart switch will also stay on just like the previous dumb switch! 

Anyway, I hope they change this behavior back or come up with a way to configure either option. 

Options
2023-01-29 20:51:58

@jaydee77ca Hello, have you heard back from the vendor on this issue? It's useless for me if this feature does not work. Thanks 

Options
2023-01-30 00:32:08

Hi @Sean51, I've not heard anything back about this from TP-Link and haven't seen a new firmware come out yet. Perhaps you should contact them as well as maybe the more people who complain the faster they might address it? I agree though, the whole reason I bought and installed these switches is because people turn on the light manually and then forget to turn it off. Now the switch is basically useless.

Options
2023-04-06 05:05:36

@Sean51 A new firmware (1.0.11) has been released that fixes this behavior.

Thank you TP-Link!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 891

Replies: 6