Are there any plans to bring Matter support to existing models?

2022-10-07 15:18:08
Tags: #matter
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Are there any plans to introduce Matter support to existing devices (P100, P110, etc) through a firmware update?

The TP-Link Matter page states that new models (with an "M" suffix) will be coming out, implying that the existing devices won't gain support for the protocol. Could someone confirm whether this will be the case?

Options
18 Reply
Re:Are there any plans to bring Matter support to existing models?
2022-10-08 10:52:03 - last edited 2022-10-08 10:54:42

Hello @kocz 

Thanks for being interested in the Matter  with TP-Link smart device devices. 

The Matter protocol is so far in the planned stage, the support did not get more detailed information about it yet, sometimes the planned models can be changed. For what models will be supported, we always recommended keeping eye for the updated information in Matter introduction page below. 

https://www.tp-link.com/technology/matter/

Here are some auricles about Matter that you be interested in: 

Matter: A Step Forward in Smart Homes

https://www.tp-link.com/en/blog/1141/what-exactly-is-matter-/

Options
2022-12-31 00:01:25

@Solla-topee Have there been any updates to this? I am also keen to know if existing devices will be upgraded to support matter, as well as the reasons (e.g. financial, technical) for any decision not to. Thanks.

Options
2023-04-23 10:36:08

@Solla-topee 

has there been an update regarding this yet? 

Options
2023-04-23 19:51:41

Can we get an update on this?  I was told when purchasing my Kasa Plugs that I was going to wait on purchasing until Matter protocol that was supposed to be adopted 8 yrs ago (or earlier) but for reasons obvious to people with business understanding can see was delayed, but it is also a key indicator of Product Integrity and Product Differentiation, was not adopted or planned by some because of those reasons.   I was told that the products that I was trying to purchase at the time and I think it was 2016 models and later (I think I saved the conversation that I verified with general public statements as well) would be supported by software and firmware updates, but new to abilities such as energy monitoring would require newer models and that manual calculations of energy based on operations were not planned to be supported without upgraded models.  I asked for clarifications to ensure the standard features like on/off, wifi, Bluetooth, smart device integrations, would be upgraded to Matter protocols via software and firmware.  

I see that updates were released and as of 4/23/23 I am up-to-date but didn't see the clarifications in the literature that it was the Matter Protocol updates and that is retroactive on previous products as promised.  Otherwise, sales for those products would have gone to zero or drastically reduced since the massive delay in adoption was totally a deliberate decision and out of touch with what the customers were asking for.  The marketing literature and actual product literature or support literature were slightly conflicting, which is understandable since you are promoting the new models and want to point them towards the premium price point, but If these were not accurate statements that Kasa is supporting older devices with Matter Protocols, I would like the new models with Matter protocols to be exchanged for these since I bought this brand based on TP-Link company size and the stance that investments/purchases would be supported as confirmed with company reps, since the decision to go ahead and produce many new product lines without the Matter certifications was about a 10yr out of step decision.  

Options
2023-04-24 09:46:20 - last edited 2023-04-27 09:39:38

Hi Everyone,
Thank you all for being interested in the Matter protocol. Ever since Matter was announced, TP-Link pledged to deliver Matter-compatible products across a broad range of categories, including plugs, switches, bulbs, and hubs. 

Regarding the concerns here in this topic that some of you're wondering whether there will be new firmware rolling out to support Matter on the existing non-matter-certificate smart devices, that depends. As you’ve acknowledged, all products developed based on the Matter protocol must be certified by Matter before they can be marked with the Matter label or logo. Having this logo proves to consumers that the product works with various vendors' products, apps, and major voice services like Alexa and Google. To find out if your existing smart home device is Matter compatible, you can search the CSA Certified Product Search web page. You can also check the below Matter-Certified Products list for reference:
TP-Link’s Upcoming Matter-Certified Products 

Some smart sensors and thermostats would also get support and work with Matter in the upcoming months once paired with a Matter-certified Central Control Hub. The Central Control Hub is still under development and you may pay close attention to the updated information on the Matter introduction page. For other existing models that came without the Matter label would be very unlikely to get a firmware update to support Matter due to hardware or memory limitations. If you’ve recently bought one with the expectation to get a firmware upgrade to work with Matter, it’s suggested to contact your reseller to see if they can help with a return or replace it with a Matter-certified one.  

Best Regards

Options
2023-04-24 16:24:39

@Solla-topee That's very disappointing to hear, but I appreciate the update.

Is this also true for hardware revision V2.0 of the (UK) P100? I've only seen this version being sold recently, so I'm uncertain as to whether the hardware limitations would exist there.

Options
2023-04-25 08:35:57

@Solla-topee @kocz  I agree this is very disappointing and contradictory to what a tp-link sales rep clarified to me.  I do appreciate the response, but I can't help to feel like a fool knowing what I know about business.  Lot of people in the forums said not to believe the TP-Link reps because of the contradictory Marketing and lack of clarification in the specs.  I posted the generalized conversation from the rep's responses to those concerns in some forum responses thus possibly causing other people to be misled as well.  This is just sad that a company that has been around as long as TP-Link would need to do that to clear inventory that the general public didn't want without the ease of interconnectivity without translational issues aka Matter Protocol!  One particular person in the forums communicated that no matter if they confirmed or not the lack of clarity and contradictory messages both public and with reps provided the answers that greed and irresponsibility of not adopting the protocols before the last ~5 years of products hit production was passed onto the customer as the wise consumer advised me would probably happen and seems to be the case.  

So what do I (we) do with the products that we were mis-directed into purchasing? I purchased Matter Capable devices (rep clarified and I further investigated further only to find loose mentions of some backward compatibility) and would have purchased a lot more for the whole house, but another consumer warned me that it wasn't the first time a company has done that type of thing to clear poorly designed previous-gen products out of inventory that they had easily over 5 years' notice on, especially TP-Link since that particular customer had bought hundreds of devices for a business that he said TP-Link screwed him on with a similar outcome not involving Matter protocol.  Might be a persistent or emerging trend for TP-Link that your company might want to look into.

Options
2023-08-01 23:03:21

@Yount_Marked @Solla-topee 

I think it would be incredibly helpful for this to be addresses by tp-link instead of just sitting here with no response. What do all of us do with the products that we currently have that we assumed, based on responses from tp-link employees, would be upgraded to support matter? 

Options
2023-08-02 10:12:26

@vincepro1211 

What's the model number of your devices? From the above discussion, it seems a Matter-certified Central Control Hub is under development, and some smart sensors and thermostats that will support and work with Matter after pairing with the Matter-certified Central Control Hub when it's available, and other models without the Matter label won't support Matter.

Options
2023-08-24 00:21:52

I have 10 KP200 outlets all over my house. Any plans to add matter support to them or am I going to be stuck buying all new at some point?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 11280

Replies: 18

Tags

matter