Kasa app not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa app not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa app not working
Kasa app not working
2022-10-21 19:43:51

It seems the form can't even recognise the model numbers of my smart bulbs, but hey-ho! I've had TPLink bulbs and smart strips for a few years now, and all worked perfectly with the Kasa app until I moved house the other week. I am now on the verge of chucking all TPLink related stuff in the bin. I have easily and successfully installed bulbs, plugs and power strips from other manufacturers in my new home, but Kasa is frankly a dead loss. The app is not registering a single bulb or plug, even a brand new one (which I intend to return to the shop first thing monday). 

The steps for rectifying lack of connectivity are useless. Yes, I am on 2.4GHz; yes, I have a strong wifi signal; yes, I've sat with the phone 2 inches from the router and the bulb less than 2 feet away, and finally, yes, I've reinstalled the app and checked all the permissions. Oh, and yes, I have done both soft and hard resets on the devices. I have done all these things several times. The only glimmer of light was a short-lived connection with a smart bulb before it failed ... and failed ... and failed again. And again. 

At this moment I feel as if TPLink have put their hand in my pocket and taken out a bunch of cash for hardware that I now can't even get the app to speak to. I understand the app was 'updated' while i was in the process of moving. Maybe this is what has broken what was a fairly good, if not perfect system?

I am VERY grumpy!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Kasa app not working
2022-10-24 05:57:20

Hello   @hejo 

Sorry to hear about your experience,we'd like to try out best with the bulb installation. 

May I know at which step the setup failed, and can I have a photo of the error in the kasa app?

At the same time, you could try some tips here : 

What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?

For a test you may also connect the bulb a guest wifi network or hotspot Wifi network and see it could connect to a different Wifi network. 

Options
2022-11-06 23:48:37

@hejo TBH, you've kind of got it good.

I went all-in on the Bulbs for the house (I still have 3 spare I didn't use after I changed from the 130KLB's to the brighter....We'll put a pin in that), purchased several cameras and purchased a 'test' subscription for the kasa care.

All was fine at 1st until trying to add more than 10 actions overall as triggers. That arbitrary limitation was enough of a deal-breaker to junk all the lights bar one, and get a zigbee device in.

Kept cameras and a single bulb that could act as a welcome home\alert light. App was slow but I could handle that. Running on older 'droid 6.1 tablet and samsung S5.

No worries. Worked. Was looking at including all devices to £100 plan on renewal in a month and a half.

Then the app updated. No choice for 'if it aint broke don't fix it' (which as an IT pro I use on a daily basis...)

Now the software refuses to even run on either device. On startup it doesn't even get to the 'splash' logo. On either device it churns for 15 seconds then says 'Unfortunately, Kasa has stopped'. Doesn't even open the app. Delete cache\data, no joy. Uninstall on tablet, reinstall. No joy.

@hejo at least you get some signs of life.. I can't even get into the thing to tell you what bulbs I have. The hilarious thing is that I was talking to one of my chaps about this 3-4 weeks ago after his alarm tripped and he had to go all the way back. Mentioned the zigbee and the kasa, pointing him to the kasa for basic monitoring and a more polished interface compared to the myriad of confusing & competing interpretations of the the zigbee standard. I need to check his experience. Though I'm guessing that if I was on a newer version of 'droid I might not be having this problem. Which isn't an excuse as the website appears to say it's compatible with 'droid 5.x and above ( Q1.   https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1390/). Surely people like myself aren't expected to whip out another £250 on a newer basic tablet as an answer? If I had prior notification (E.g. DUO changing minimum 'droid support a few years ago) that would be different.

Options
2022-11-07 10:12:03

@SHOCDPNEI glad I'm not alone, and it sounds like you have had an even worse time! I suspected the app from the start, and now I'm sure! Luckily I only had 4 bulbs, 2 smart plugs and a power strip, and have now swapped them out for equivalents that work with other apps. A real shame, as I've had a lot of faith in TPLink's other devices over the years (hubs, switches, routers etc). Kasa, however - forget it. The smart home systems, and the app in particular, needs some serious attention. Thanks for confirming my suspicions about the 'update'.

Options