App slow on one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

App slow on one device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
App slow on one device
App slow on one device
2023-02-06 16:03:35
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I've just purchased a TP-Link Tapo C110 for home use and it works well, however it's primary use is to stream to a tablet in one room so that my mother can see who is approaching the house. On my phone and on my pc through Bluestacks, an Android-emulated environment, the camera works well and I have no problems with it. However, on the tablet, it is extremely slow. If I wave my hands in front of the camera, it will show immediately on my phone or pc. But on the tablet, it takes up to 20 seconds before it shows a slowed-down version of the action.

The tablet is an old Huawei MediaPad, but while it is old it is perfectly capable of this use. I know because the C110 replaced a video doorbell we had that used the very similar Ubox app, and that streamed perfectly to the tablet and every other device.

Is there anything I can do to improve performance of the Tapo app on the tablet? Or, failing that, can I even use Ubox or another app to use the C110 with?

Options
2 Reply
Re:App slow on one device
2023-02-08 04:27:43 - last edited 2023-02-08 04:32:20

Hi   @Azhrei 

If you can stream the camera on the phone smoothly when the phone & tablet are on the same Wi-Fi network, the delay can be due to the tablet.  

• Try to switch a different network on the tablet, like 5Ghz Wi-Fi network, and see if that helps.

You can try to stream one camera once a time in the tablet instead of streaming multiple cameras, which requires high-spec GPU on the mobile hardware.

If any user had any idea for the Ubox , please leave your insight below. Thank you.

Options
Re:App slow on one device
2023-03-27 15:33:35

I apologise for not having replied before now.

I've changed things up here and started by resetting the tablet back to it's default state, as I thought that since it had been used for years the number of apps and documents and everything stored on it might not be helping performance. But it didn't result in any improved performance. I did note that the Tapo app started notifying us on the tablet that we had been streaming for five minutes, something I have seen others complaining about but which previously hadn't happened to us. Not very good for my mother who had to get up to tell it to continue, but since it only happened once a day it wasn't really that bad.

So I thought the tablet might be a dead end and instead went with a laptop, using the Bluestacks emulated android environment again. This laptop is a few years old but perfectly capable, having an i7 3630QM, 16GB of ram and a GeForce 635M GPU. It has just had Windows 10 freshly installed on an SSD and nothing else but essential drivers and programs added to it. Now we're seeing a new problem.

Every now and then, the camera just cuts out. Mostly on the laptop but I've seen it happen on my desktop as well. When it does, tapping restart usually works, but not always. The only way to get it to work again is to quit out of Bluestacks entirely and launch it again. My mother doesn't have any clue on how to do that and the laptop is in an awkward place where she can't really get at it to use it or see the small text on the screen, so this is obviously not ideal. It's even started happening on my desktop.

I have tried resetting the camera and I have ensured the latest firmware is installed. All we need the damn thing to do is to stream what the camera is seeing to two devices but apparently that is too much for it. I see that the laptop is connected to the 2.4GHz band and not the 5GHz one, but I can't change this as preferred bands is not present in the properties of the wireless adapter (despite netsh wlan show drivers clearly displaying it supports 5GHz) and I can't split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks on my router because it's an awful locked down ISP-specific one that by their own FAQ's is meant to give the option, but doesn't. And I'm not convinced it'll change anything anyway since the camera is also on 2.4GHz and by my understanding can't use 5GHz.

Would streaming to a PC app like iSpy or VLC do a better job of this? We've already set the resolution to the lowest possible at 720P and it isn't helping.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 2

Related Articles