Tapo P110 won't reconnect to WiFi after restarting internet/router.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-06 10:03:52
Model: Tapo P110  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

My network is Internet > Vodafone THG3000 > Deco X20 Access Point. 

When I restart my internet/router, my P110 Smart Plugs go offline (red light) and don't reconnect to the WiFi. 

Switching the plug on/off does nothing. I tried resetting the plug and re-pairing but then the device gets stuck on pairing (I assume a network issue). So I tried a different WiFi name (my guest network and also renaming my SSID) and both these work. Frustrating, because I can't change my SSID every time my router restarts and re-pair every device in my house. Today, I had to restart my router and we're back to square one.

This problem happens with all my P110 plugs (4).

Is there a solution to re-pair these on the same network, before I return these and try the Kasa plugs instead? 

Hardware: UK v1.0

Firmware: latest version

Options
8 Reply
Re:Tapo P110 won't reconnect to WiFi after restarting internet/router.
2023-03-07 02:30:24

Hi   @J.XYZ 

When router suffer an outage and back online, all the devices will try to reconnect to the Wifi network and the request of smart device may be not responded properly by router/AP,  you can try some tips here 

1. Try to create a 2.4Ghz Guest Network Wi-Fi for the smart devices, and only connect smart device to that Wifi SSID 

2. Some users also found setting up IP address reservation for particular device helps, you can try to set up IP reservation for the smart device 

Here is a FAQ that you may be interested in

How to configure Address Reservation with Deco

Options
2023-03-17 22:35:39 - last edited 2023-03-17 22:38:37

Thanks but how do I reconnect the plugs to my current WiFI SSID network? It just gets stuck with "Pairing your Tapo device...". This really needs to get addressed with a firmware/hardware update.

Also address reservation isn't available on the Deco app when in Access Point mode. Nor does the X20 allow for creating a separate 2.4GHz network. This 'smart plug' is a big FAIL from TP-Link, not compatable with their own network devices.

Options
2023-03-17 22:46:54 - last edited 2023-03-17 23:08:38

For anyone following along, the solution is to switch Deco X20 back to WiFi Router Mode and you will be able to reconnect the plugs to the network (no idea why). From there, although not tested if this does anything, you can do the address reservation.

TP-Link please fix this so the plugs can re-pair/re-connect to the network after internet outage while the Deco X20 is in Access Point mode. I'm now running 2 routers in my network which is not ideal. Thanks

Options
2023-05-28 00:15:25

@J.XYZ 

hi there, we have exactly the same problem with new and over 20 P110, using the latest firmware.

Frustrating, no solution.

We will sent back all tapos to the Amazon reseller and trying another solution.  

Options
2023-05-28 00:23:27

@Stefan6219 

BTW: we do not have the problem with DECO WLAN as we are using the bigger brother Omada. The same problem. We also connected TP 110 to a Telekom speedport WLAN, as well to an AVM Fritz!Box WLAN. Turning offe the power of the routers, power back, TP 110 plug will not reconnect...

We have to plug out all P110, powering back, WLAN works.

this is really TP-Link bug who should be fixed....

Options
2023-05-29 12:32:03

@Stefan6219 

Hi, 
If you still have the Tapo P110, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. What's the model number of your Omada device? How many Omada devices do you have?
2. What's the model number of the router that the Omada device connected to?
3. Please describe your network diagram in detail.  e.g. ISP Spectrum-Archer C7 router--Omada device<Wireless> Tapo plugs.
And check the distance between the Omada device and plugs and if any obstacles between them.

Best Regards

Options
2023-05-31 17:43:32

I have the same issue. Using BT home hub. Initial configuration of P110 plug was fine, showed online but was not able to turn off plug from app. so i decided just to press power button on the side of it. Afterwards plug was not showing as online any more. multiple attempts to repair does not work.

Will do some more testing and update if will find any solution.

Options
2023-05-31 18:21:05

It seems that i have found solution for this. It is actually related to 2.4G wireless mode.

Mode 3 is most old device friendly and it did the trick for me. Plug can connect to same SSID and all functionality is there. After disconnecting it did not have any issues to reconnect.

BT explanation for wireless modes:

--------------------------

This mode allows you to tune your wireless features to give you the best performance with all your wireless devices.
Your Hub is automatically set to Mode 1

Mode 1: Gives you the fullest featured wireless, maximizing throughput and range.

Mode 2: Some devices can sometimes struggle to use the latest Wireless features, if you have any devices that can't get a good wireless connection, try using this mode. Selecting this mode may reduce the wireless range and throughput but improve connectivity.

Mode 3: Change to this mode if your wireless devices don't perform well using mode 1 or 2. Selecting this mode will reduce the latest features as well as wireless range and throughput compared to Mode 1 and 2. This will allow for the broadest range of devices to operate on the wireless.
The features that are reduced include: power saving procedures, traffic aggregation methods and Multiple Concurrent data streams.

----------------------------

Hope it helps and wi-fi APs you are using is capable of mode change.

Best of Luck,

Mindaugas

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1110

Replies: 8

Related Articles