Hacking your SD Card to make it work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-16 08:50:13 - last edited 2023-04-30 09:49:43
Model: Tapo C320WS  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

So.. 

I purchased 4x C320WS + 4x PNY Class 10 32GB SD Cards. The cameras wouldn't accept the cards - unable to format them without telling why. 

TPlink / TAPO technial support were to no help at all .. 

So i found my 16GB Samsung SD card and put it into one of the cameras. 

the Camera was successfull at "formatting" the card - so now im investigating whats actually going on. 

1. The card is formattet with FAT32 

2. Then the camera initialize the card with 3 Binay files (storing settings and configuration) 

3. Then the camera created dummy MP4 files at ~256MB filesize up to around 14 GB (out of 16 GB = 90% full) - with some space left for picture snapshots. 

After recording some stuff on the sd-card i've noticed the following: 

1. The camera ALWAYS record, no matter if you select fulltime recording or event recording. 

2. The camera stores information when events occur so that it can browse to the position in files that events happened. 

3. The recording roll-over when there is no more time 

4. The mp4 files gets renamed if there are events happening on them.. (need further investigation) 

I'm now trying to initilize one of the PNY cards myself and see if the camera will accept it.. 

So i'm guessing that the camera fails to "format" the PNY card, because it's not able to allocate the MP4 filespace fast enough. (Bad coding from TP Link... ) 

will update this post as i do more findings, and if the camera accepts my PNY card anyway.. 

Note 1: I think that TPLink / TAPO should release a program that can initialize an SD Card offline (in the computer instead of the camera) That way more cards could be used instead of only the cards that support fast allocation.. 

Update 1:

- Formatting the card with FAT32 / 32KB allocation size + transfering the BIN files + some MP4 placeholders actually worked. 

- The camera didnt complain - but now only reports that the SD card size is 14~16 GB instead of 32 GB (i suspect that the BIN files contains information about the SD Card size) 

- So in order to "hack" a 32GB SD Card - i need the BIN files from a 32 GB card. 

Update 2:

- Recoding on the PNY32GB DOES WORK. after "hacking it". 

Community Questions:

- If someone with a 32, 64 or 128 GB could please tell me : how many BIN files does your card have ?

- Could someone please send me their BIN files ? 

Update 3:

- I booted up the camera today after having it off for some days. The LIVE view didn't work so suspected that the SD Card was at fault. 

- I formatted the SD Card to make it void again, rebooted the camera and now it could show live view again. 

- Apparently this hacked SD Card makes the camera go funky... 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hacking your SD Card to make it work
2023-10-10 10:52:33

@MontagoDK 

I think a lot of (particularly first time) users experience the same thing.

The instructions from TP-Link, both on the website and via the app are not clear and without clear guidance the camera is not fit for purpose.

Why do TP not provide better guidance and /or a help video, or as you say, a utlity via their website that allows users to format cards via their pc ?

I can only conclude that it is by design - a way for them to push users towards their subscription model.

Having used other products in their range, I am a first time user of one of their cameras (C325WB) and am REALLY disappointed - the set up is a nightmare, and the picture quality not that great to be honest.

Options
2023-10-10 11:11:23 - last edited 2023-10-10 11:13:03

> I can only conclude that it is by design - a way for them to push users towards their subscription model.

Exactly.

That said, having videos in cloud is pretty nice since they are impossible to delete for a burglar who might otherwize also steal your NAS equipment.

And the cloud notifications are also nice.

I just wish i had a choice.

It's also really weird that a product from TPLink doesnt have FTP/Samba upload support, when they are experts in LAN equipment.

so yeah, its 100% deliberate.

and yes - the quality is just horrible. 

Options
2023-10-12 11:15:08

@Pete159 @MartinKirk 

Hi, 
Thank you very much for your feedback and feature requests to format the SD card via the PC and save camera video recordings to the FTP server, I'll log them and pass them along to the related team to evaluate and improve our product.

Currently, we provide the Tapo Care service to store the camera video clips triggered by activities, but you can also choose to insert a microSD card into the camera to store the video recordings or stream the camera via RTSP/ONVIF and store the camera's video recordings on a PC/NVR/NAS, etc. We provide different methods to store the video recordings, and you can select the one best suited.

If you have any problems when using the camera, please feel free to Start a New Thread to describe your problem in detail, and we will help to solve the problem.
We have the setup video and some configuration instructions on the official website(For example, the setup video and FAQs for Tapo C325WB), if you need more guidance, please let me know your usage scenario and the guidance you need in the new thread, I'll find the existing instruction for you or forward your inquiry to the related team to add more instructions.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 587

Replies: 3

Related Articles