One camera has borked colours after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-08 18:23:58
Tags: #Firmware #Colour
Model: TC65  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.33

I setup my 1st camera, everything was fine, updated firmware, everything still fine.

I setup my 2nd camera, everything was fine, updated firmware, colour became borked (pink):

I've tried factory reset, but that doesn't fix it (presumably because it isn't reverting the firmware).

Changing the camera resolution has no effect either.

Is there a way to recalibrate the colour? Revert to the old firmware? Or reapply the new firmware?

Or do I just return it as faulty?

Here's the pictures from the app, in side by side mode; something is very obviously amiss with the second image:

Options
3 Reply
Re:One camera has borked colours after firmware update
2023-05-08 18:34:57

Just discovered that the 2nd camera, with the discoloured image, is also unable to cast to my Chromecast. The Chromecast just sits on the "Tapo" loading screen.

The 1st camera casts fine.

Looks like the 2nd camera is just knackered :(

Options
2023-05-08 19:45:58 - last edited 2023-05-08 19:53:34

A cold restart of the 2nd camera (unplug, wait 30s, replug) solved the discoloured image.

As for the issue with streaming to a Chromecast, that looks to be a bug with the Tapo casting implementation.

If you cast 1 camera to a Chromecast ("hey Google, Show Driveway on TV"), then immediately attempt to cast a 2nd camera to the Chromecast ("hey Google, Show Garden on TV"), then the Chromecast will stall on the "tapo" loading screen.

To get it to work correctly, you have to explicitly end the first cast ("hey Google, stop TV") before attempting to start the second cast.

I hope TP-Link will fix this rather obvious bug, as the workaround is pretty clunky.

While they're at it, the quality of the picture when casting to a Chromecast is *awful*.

There's no reason why the picture should be worse than what's shown in the Tapo App.

I get better picture quality screen mirroring my phone to the Chromecast while viewing the camera inside the Tapo app! Which is frankly ridiculous!

Options
2023-05-11 08:25:22

@TehJumpingJawa 

Hi,
Regarding the issue with streaming to a Chromecast, since the cameras can cast the live feed to the Chromecast without issue, it's not the camera that has a problem. However, this usage scenario does has a certain impact on the user experience, therefore, I logged this usage scenario and will forward it to the team to improve it.

When showing the camera's live feed on Chromecast, the data of the video is going through the cloud server, to ensure the video can be played stably and smoothly on Chromecast, the quality of the video may not be good as when watching it on the Tapo app. 

I have submitted the feedback that improves the quality of the video to the team to evaluate, but I don't have any specific details that I can share about if the related features can come to the product or when they might, however, we will try our best to improve our product.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 260

Replies: 3

Tags

Firmware
Colour
Related Articles