Tapo C200 V1 - RSTP streaming stopped working after FW upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-27 16:38:32
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.6 Build 230424 Rel.77225n(4555)

Hi all,

I have 2x C200 and 3x C100 integrated to my Synology Surveillance Station using RSTP streams.

Several days ago, the RSTP streaming of one of my Tapo C200 stopped working in Surveillance Station, however the video streaming via Tapo App continued to work fine.

I though it was some configuration of my router that was causing the issue, so I did not bother at the time.

Note that the one that stopped working is HW V1, while the one that continues working is HW V2:

C200 V2 => 1.3.6 Build 230424 Rel.77311n(4555) => Works in Tapo APP, Synology and VLC RSTP streaming

C200 V1 => 1.3.6 Build 230424 Rel.77225n(4555) => Works in Tapo APP, stopped working in Synology as well as VLC RSTP streaming

There is no updates available currently shown in Tapo APP.

Now I had some time, I begun troubleshooting the issue and it seems that the RSTP stream stopped working in the camera.

I tried accessing the stream via VLC through: rtsp://<LOGIN>:<PWD>@<PWD>:550/stream1 (yes, I have configured the camera via ONVIF to use RSTP port 550) however VLC is not able to find the stream. I also connected the camera via "ONVIF Device Manager" and I am not able to see RSTP streaming also. Other C100 and C200 cameras I can see RSTP streaming fine.

I suspect the issue begun happening after some FW update, but not sure.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I wonder it might be C200 V1 FW related problem...

Thanks and Br,

Juliano.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Tapo C200 V1 - RSTP streaming stopped working after FW upgrade
2023-05-29 09:54:33

@JulianoYS 

Hi Juliano,
The Tapo C200 V1 and V2 release the firmware almost at the same time and the new firmware does not make changes on the RTSP stream.

In this case, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1. Please describe your network diagram in detail.
2. Check if the Synology Surveillance Station can ping the C200 V1 successfully.
3. Please provide the screenshots of the RTSP stream configurations you set up on the Synology Surveillance Station for the C200 V1 and V2 to have a check.
4. Does the C200 V1 has an SD card inserted and subscribed to the Tapo Care service?

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-02 20:07:17

@Solla-topee 

Hi Solla,

1. Please describe your network diagram in detail.

I tried to simplify in the description, but the network scenario is quite complex.

The Synology NAS and the cameras are in two different physical locations actually.

I open ports in my router so I can connect to the RSTP streams remotely from Synology NAS. But as mentioned, only C200 V1 stopped working. Other cameras are still working fine. And also trying to connect to the stream via VLC did not work, while VLC can open stream for other cameras normally.

2. Check if the Synology Surveillance Station can ping the C200 V1 successfully.

Yes, the C200 V1 is pingable in the local network. I can connect to the camera via ONVIF port 2020 also (http://<IP>:2020/onvif/device_service).

Since Synology is in remote location, ping is not allowed in this scenario.

3. Please provide the screenshots of the RTSP stream configurations you set up on the Synology Surveillance Station for the C200 V1 and V2 to have a check.

Well, I can't post much detailed information for obvious reasons, but follows what I can share:

4. Does the C200 V1 has an SD card inserted and subscribed to the Tapo Care service?

Yes, the C200 has a SD card inserted. I used to record stream both in SD card as well as in Synology. In principle the idea was to use Edge Recording feature from Synology, but later I found it was incompatible with C200. 

At some point I think the SD card presented problems probably due to many recording cycles. Not sure if it is still enabled or even working. But physically it is still there.

Also at some point, also my sisters have mistakenly enabled Tapo Care service, but after the trial period, I had it cancelled.

After I posted, I saw another thread https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/205220?replyId=1139604

It mentions C200 V3 has a problem:

"I can confirm that it is indeed SD Card problem.
In my C200 V3, Firmware version 1.1.22, rstp only works when there is no sd card inserted.
I was pulling my hair struggling to use rstp streaming for last 2 hours, only to find out its a firmware bug"

The C200 V2 that is working does not have a SD card...

Maybe this is the cause for my issues with C200 V1 as well? Since the cameras are in another physical location, I can't remove it right away, but will test if removing it makes the RSTP stream to work again.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Br,

Juliano.

Options
2023-06-02 20:19:08

@Solla-topee 

I see some posts stating that latest FW versions has this bug... RSTP doesn't work when SD card is inserted.

How can I downgrade the FW to an older version?

Options
2023-06-06 12:05:47

@JulianoYS 

Hi Juliano,
If I'm understanding correctly, you can connect to the Tapo C200 V1 successfully via ONVIF port 2020 when your computer is in the local network but failed in the remote network. If so, I think the problem may be caused by the port forwarding settings on your router rather than the SD card inserted into the camera.

May I have the port forwarding settings you have configured on your router for the Tapo C200 V1 and V2?

You can also check if removing the SD card on the Tapo C200 V1 will solve the RTSP stream issue. And I'll follow up on this case if there are any updates.

Best Regards

Options
2023-06-08 22:32:31

@Solla-topee 

I have sudden rtsp issues also.

I learned when I bought my first tapo cam that inserting a micro sdcard will disable the rtsp, ok fine.  Bought another to face the same direction and run rtsp into my security system.  Actually bought a third for out back.  Anyway, couple days ago both cams running WITHOUT a card in them, never having a card in them, both stopped rtsp broadcast.   I've been running security cams since before wifi was a thing, so im no rookie.  Currently have about 16 running three of which are Tapo C320WS models. As said, one of them is operating independently on a micro card, the other two run fine in the android app but will not start working again via VLC viewer or any other method that was previously functioning fine.

So, what the h?

Options
2023-06-09 01:17:24

@g_ny 

ADDITIONALLY; 

After many tries and reboots on both this, the router, and the app login, i finally got one to work via rtsp again but not everywhere.  One of the others is running in sdcard mode so rtsp's not expected from that one. But my main entrances cam still wont work except in the android app.

So, here is the only thing thats changed recently, but find nothing stating that this is the culprit.  And that is enabling the Tapo Care trial a few days ago on that camera. It still worked normally for 2 or 3 days after that change though.  And I dont see where enabling the tapo care would stop the rtsp but... maybe it did?  As said it does NOT and never has had a micro card installed.

Options
2023-06-09 10:00:23

@g_ny 

Hi,
1. About the Tapo Care, SD card, and NVR(RTSP/ONVIF):
a. If you have subscribed to Tapo Care for your camera, it works with one of the NVR or SD card recording, and if you are using an SD card and Tapo Care at the same time, the NVR will be disabled.
b. If you have not subscribed to Tapo Care for your camera, the NVR and SD card recording can work at the same time.

2. In your case, if you have enabled the Tapo Care trial for the Tapo C320WS without an SD card inserted, you can view it via RTSP. If failed, please help confirm the following information for further analysis.
1) How many devices watch the camera at the same time? Including the devices that view the camera via the Tapo app and RTSP stream.
2) On the device watch the camera via the RTSP stream, what URL of the RTSP stream is used?
3) Please describe your network diagram in detail. And is the device view the camera via RTSP stream locally? If so, can it ping the camera's IP address successfully?

Best Regards!

Options
2023-06-10 20:14:55

@Solla-topee 

so only one if my tapo branded cams has a micro card installed, this one also is on the tapo care.  not concerned with this cam.

neither of the other two have cards installed and were previously working fine on vls viewer. 

This particular cam, Tapo-2, stopped functioning anywhere but the tapo app. the only change was i enabled  its 30 day tapi care trial.

FIXED;

I just disabled the tapo care trial, rebooted the cam for good measure and VIOLA, rtsp is now working! Viewing is  normal again on VLC Viewer! 

So it was Tapo Care, even though I never put a micro card in this camera, enabling tapo care indeed did stop the cameras rtsp.  No doubt about it.

Sp, problem identified  and fixed, camera is again operating how I wanted.  Wont make that mistake again.

Options
2023-06-12 11:56:59

@g_ny 

Hi, 
Generally, subscribing to the Tapo Care service won't affect the RTSP stream connection. Regarding your question, I suspect it's related to the number of devices that view the camera at the same time, and related to the URL of the RTSP stream used.

Please help confirm the following information if you are willing to continue troubleshooting.
1) How many devices watch the camera at the same time? Including the devices that view the camera via the Tapo app and RTSP stream.
2) On the device watch the camera via the RTSP stream, what URL of the RTSP stream is used?
3) Please describe your network diagram in detail. And is the device view the camera via RTSP stream locally? If so, can it ping the camera's IP address successfully when failing to watch the camera?

Best Regards

Options