FTP upload from C225?

FTP upload from C225?

FTP upload from C225?
FTP upload from C225?
2023-07-18 09:22:20 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:30:53
Model: Tapo C225  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Tapo C225, hardware and firmware versions unknown; I can't find these in the app.

The Dutch Consumentenbond has rated the Tapo C225 as "best buy" and claims the camera can upload to FTP (which is mainly why I bought two). However, I can't find how to upload video and/or event snapshots to FTP. I did find how to approach the camera through RTSP, but that would require my computer to be on, and it isn't a "push" method but a "fetch" method.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:FTP upload from C225?-Solution
2023-12-12 08:30:44 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:30:53

@toto1988 

Hi,  
Our Tapo Cameras support storing the detection video clips on our cloud server after subscribing to the Tapo Care service and store the video recordings on the inserted microSD card, most of the Tapo cameras also support being viewed via the RTSP/ONVIF stream and store the video recordings on the PC/NAS/NVR that support the RTSP/ONVIF protocols.

If you do not want to subscribe to the Tapo Care service, you can check if the other two methods will suit your usage scenario.

For anyone intrigued by the feature to store camera video recordings to an FTP server, kindly redirect to the below thread, which has garnered attention for voting. Share your usage and comments there!
Save Videos on FTP Server / SMB share

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:FTP upload from C225?
2023-07-19 07:58:01

@IFokkema 

Hi, 
Thank you very much for your report.
Currently, our Tapo C225 support uploading video recordings to our cloud server or storing the video recordings on an inserted SD card, and you can also watch the camera via RTSP stream.

Can you share the link where you see that the Tapo C225 can upload to FTP with us? I'll check if the promotion is inappropriate or misleading. 

And please describe your usage scenario and problem in detail, and I'll provide proper suggestions for you.

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-19 09:06:58

Solla-topee wrote

@IFokkema 

Hi, 
Thank you very much for your report.
Currently, our Tapo C225 support uploading video recordings to our cloud server or storing the video recordings on an inserted SD card, and you can also watch the camera via RTSP stream.

Can you share the link where you see that the Tapo C225 can upload to FTP with us? I'll check if the promotion is inappropriate or misleading. 

And please describe your usage scenario and problem in detail, and I'll provide proper suggestions for you.

Best Regards

@Solla-topee  Thank you for your reply, and the clarification!

I'm not allowed to share "external links", so I broke the link up in parts to prevent it from being detected as a link:

www. consumentenbond. nl/beveiligingscamera/producten/tp-link/tapo-c225

It's in Dutch, but when scrolling down and clicking "Alle specificities" (all specifications), the specs open on the left and it says, translated:

Storage possibilities:

• At detection of movement: locally, in the cloud, FTP.
  • When starting the recording yourself: on your smartphone, locally, in the cloud or on FTP server, storage on SD card, in the cloud, or through ONVIF

The last sentence is a bit weird, but nonetheless, I assumed FTP was possible. It's very likely it was their mistake, not yours in any way.

What I wanted to achieve was to receive video or photos of events that the cameras detected, stored on my servers (this is what I meant with a "push" method). RTSP will allow me to retrieve video or photos, but I won't be able to know when events occur, and constantly streaming two cameras will be a waste of bandwidth (this is what I meant with a "fetch" method). I read up on ONVIF a bit, and I understand ONVIF profile S should allow me to either receive notifications of events or query the camera to know whether an event is occurring, but I don't know the details yet. Still, this means I'll need to have a PC or server at home online all the time, to process the data. I read earlier TP Link camera models had FTP (e.g., TL-SC3230), so maybe it's still planned to add this later to the Tapo C225?

Options
2023-07-20 10:01:32

@IFokkema 

Hi,
Thank you for the detailed information and explanation. Currently, our Tapo C225 does not support saving videos to an FTP server directly, and I'll log your feature request and forward it to the related team to evaluate.
If you want to know our product's specifications, it's suggested to search for the product on our official website and go to the Overview, Specifications, and Support page to know more about the product.

Regarding your usage scenario, please refer to the below instruction that introduces how to add an ONVIF camera on the iSpy app. And you understand correctly that stream cameras via ONVIF protocol are required to have a PC or server online all the time.
How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

If you don't want to stream the camera via RTSP, it's suggested to subscribe to the Tapo Care service or insert an SD card into the camera.
If you need any further help, please free free to reply to me.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-20 06:41:52 - last edited 2023-09-20 06:53:11

@Solla-topee  

What if someone stole the camera? All the recordings will be lost as SD card will be lost and tapo cloud storage is very expensive. All other brands have this FTP storage feature. Considering tp link as a well established brand, should provide this feature. In short tp link is forcing customers to purchase cloud plans instead of providing NAS options.

I am using C320WS, may I know is it support FTP storage?

Options
2023-09-20 09:45:41

@RohitGaikwad 

Hello, 
Thank you very much for your feedback and usage scenario description.
The Tapo cameras do not support saving videos to an FTP server directly, and while we don't have any specific details that I can share about if this feature can come to the product or when it might, I'll log the feature request and pass it along to the team to evaluate.

Best Regards

Options
2023-09-20 10:37:20

@Solla-topee 

That means customer need to purchase tp link camera to store the recordings on paid cloud. Customer can not configure it with other options.

Options
2023-12-11 15:19:38

@Solla-topee 

sounds really bad! I got some new C325 cams and do not want to use the cloud because of several reasons. A lot of other brands can save the files to a network share or by FTP :-(
tp-link wants to force customers to use the paid cloud

Options
Re:FTP upload from C225?-Solution
2023-12-12 08:30:44 - last edited 2023-12-12 08:30:53

@toto1988 

Hi,  
Our Tapo Cameras support storing the detection video clips on our cloud server after subscribing to the Tapo Care service and store the video recordings on the inserted microSD card, most of the Tapo cameras also support being viewed via the RTSP/ONVIF stream and store the video recordings on the PC/NAS/NVR that support the RTSP/ONVIF protocols.

If you do not want to subscribe to the Tapo Care service, you can check if the other two methods will suit your usage scenario.

For anyone intrigued by the feature to store camera video recordings to an FTP server, kindly redirect to the below thread, which has garnered attention for voting. Share your usage and comments there!
Save Videos on FTP Server / SMB share

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 889

Replies: 8

Related Articles