Tapo C110 design problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-30 17:14:55
Tags: #Feature Request #Design Problem
Model: Tapo C110  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

PROBLEM 1: BALL JOINT (see video)

I have two C110, both have the same problem. The ball joint has a cylindrical piece of rubber that creates friction to ensure the camera doesn't move. However, as the joint is adjusted, the rubber piece runs past some sharp edges on the top part of the base, and every time it does that the sharp edge chips away bits of rubber. Just now I was adjusting the camera angle and noticed white bits of "stuff" falling from the camera. This is unfortunately a bad design. The rubber should have been on the fixed half of the joint, not on the ball, this way it would be impossible for any sharp edges to contact the rubber.

So, in the current design, the rubber is attached to the ball. In an better design, the rubber would be attached to the base socket, this way the rubber would never be in contact with any sharp edges. The diagram below shows the current (bad) design:

And here is a better design, with the rubber attached to the fixed base:

Here are photos of the sharp edges:

As the rubber runs past the sharp edge when the camera is set in the position parallel to the base (base attached to wall and camera parallel to wall), the rubber gets pinched and small pieces of rubber chip away. If the camera position is adjusted regularly, the rubber quickly degrades, as shown below:

Here are some photos of the rubber being pinched:

To change the design now is probably not an option because the camera has already gone into production, however, these suggestions should be taken into consideration for future models.

I was able to resolve this problem using a small round needle file to file off the sharp edges, and now the rubber no longer gets pinched, however, my camera's rubber is already damaged from the time I used it before I noticed this problem.

QUESTION: Would it be possible for Tapo supply to me two spare rubber parts so I can replace the damaged ones?

DESIGN PROBLEM 2: Cable connector (see video)

When the camera is pointed towards the surface it is mounted on, the DC connector interferes with the base. This is very annoying. I have tried a third-party L-shaped adapter but the diameter is too large to fit in the connector opening, so it is no good. It would be nice if Tapo could supply this product with a suitable L-shaped adapter, or make the base pillar a little longer to allow enough room for the connector:

PROBLEM 3: Front panel scratches too easily

The C110 dark front panel is made of a material that scratches too easily. Meanwhile, the main case (the white part) is made of a very tough and durable plastic. Please make the front panel of a similar material. I know the infrared light needs to shine through and that's why a semi-transparent plastic is used, but either use a tougher/matte finish on the plastic, or use the same plastic as the rest of the product and make two small ports for the IR light to shine through:

PROBLEM 4: Planned obsolescence

Please make the camera easier to disassemble. The main body of the camera clicks together and it is very difficutly to take apart if servicing or maintenance is required. I know the camera is not designed to be serviced by users but some of us who have an electronics background or knowledge would welcome the use of screws. Thank you.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo C110 design problems
2023-07-31 10:18:01 - last edited 2023-07-31 10:19:07

@RandyAndy 

Hi, 
Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions, and I'll log them and forward them to the related team to evaluate, and we will continuously improve our products and deliver the best performance possible. 

We do not have a replacement service for the rubber parts, however, if the Tapo C110 has a hardware issue under normal usage scenarios, we can provide a replacement for the camera if it's under warranty. For detailed instructions and conditions to get a replacement, please refer to the warranty policy on your region's official website.
Replacement & Warranty

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-31 11:21:06
Thanks, I'll look into that. The friction pad is probably the main issue. With the current design, the easiest way to fix it without changing the design is to remove the sharp edges at the factory. Unfortunately this is extra work and requires factory personnel to physically perform this step, which will probably be expensive. Alternatively, I would suggest an updated stand whilst keeping the rest of the product unchanged (despite the other small flaws I mentioned).
Options
2023-08-01 09:27:03

@RandyAndy 

Hi,
Thank you very much for your detailed suggestions. While we don't have any specific details that I can share about if the changes can come to the product or when they might, I'll log your suggestions and pass them along to the team to evaluate.

And if other users have the same request, please feel free to leave your comments here.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 402

Replies: 3

Tags

Feature Request
Design Problem
Related Articles