Alexa live feed will stop automatically after 10 minutes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-01 22:43:13
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought the C200 camera to watch my kids (and baby) in the bedroom when they are asleep, like I suspect many many people do. I have an alexa that I configured to see the camera too. To my surprise, the camera was switching off from time to time, I thought it was some kind of glitch and eventually bumped into this phrase in tapo faqs here

"The length of time you can stream the live feed on Amazon devices

Watching the live feed of Tapo cameras through Amazon Alexa will use your internet traffic as it’s a Cloud-to-Cloud service. In consideration of your extranet traffic and performance, the live feed will stop automatically after 10 minutes. However, you can ask Alexa to show the camera again if you want to continue streaming."

What reasoning is there for that really? Because I suspect tapo is not considerative of my traffic when I'm out of the house using my mobile internet connection so there must be something else going on...is there any switch to turn off so that I can see my kids continuosly without interruption?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Alexa live feed will stop automatically after 10 minutes
2023-09-04 09:44:36

@ieh 

Hello,
Thank you for your case report.

If your monitoring phone and the camera are connected to different Wi-Fi networks, it means you are viewing the camera remotely. In this circumstance, the camera live stream needs to be uploaded to the TP-Link Cloud server first and your phone then downloads and plays it. Upon this point, continuous live streaming strains your network bandwidth, and it might cause data allowance overages, which is also inconsistent with the advocacy of energy conservation, so there will be a time limitation for the live streaming and you will be prompted to continue the viewing. (To resume the stream, simply press YES/CONTINUE again.)

Currently, there is no switch to turn off this limitation and then watch the camera on the Alexa continuously. However, you can watch the Tapo C200 on a PC via RTSP/ONVIF stream continuously. Below is the instruction.
How to view Tapo camera on PC through RTSP stream?

Best Regards

Options