What happens with smart plug when no WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-05 08:16:30
Model: Tapo P100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build

So I have some Tapo smart plugs in my holiday home. They are on the upper floor and the Wi-Fi dose not reach there. So we bought a repeater an connected them to it. No I went back home and plugged out only the repeater and wondered why the two the were connected to the repeater are offline. Now I now that it is because they have no internet. Now my causation is when they get dicinected from the Wi-Fi or something are they turned off by default or are my lights that are plugged in turned in now. I really would wonder if it was like this since I unplugged the Wi-Fi some times and nothing happened but now I'm just unsure since I won't be coming back for some time. I hope somebody can help.

thank you for your responses.

Options
2 Reply
Re:What happens with smart plug when no WiFi
2023-09-06 02:28:42

@Carlos_AM 

Tapo plug supports local control when connected to a WiFi without Internet, you still can manage and control the plug when connect your phone to the same WiFi network as the plug. 

However, if the WiFi connection is also lost, the only way to control the plug is through the power button. The schedule for the plug will remain effective as long as it maintains power. A power failure will disrupt the device's time calculations, potentially causing schedule delays or complete loss of functionality.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:What happens with smart plug when no WiFi
2023-09-06 21:46:59
V2 with Firmware 1.0.5 is the totally reliable in my experience (I have over 100 of these). If a factory reset gets you back to 1.0.5 I would recommend that. With V2 and 1.1.5 there will mostly be predicable behaviour (based on the 8 I have). Make sure that that default state is set to "Off" or "On" depending on what state you want the plug to be in after a power loss. Wifi going on and off will not effect the plugs' state as long as you stay below Firmware 1.2. Above Firmware 1.2 the plugs seem to sometimes turn off briefly when Wifi connection is lost. (also 1.2+ doesn't support a local script running to ensure the plug stays in a particular state). The state shown in the App is also unreliable above 1.2+. It's possible with a combination of loss of power and weak wifi to have the App report the opposite state to what the plug is in, and even it showing as offline for a few minutes when wifi is restored. I consider V2 with 1.0.5 an awesome product. It's solid and reliable, and i've had zero issues. I've yet to find a way to downgrade the Firmware, so be real careful and experiment with 1 plug if tempted (don't upgrade them all at once)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 466

Replies: 2

Related Articles