Wifi disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi disconnecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wifi disconnecting
Wifi disconnecting
2023-10-10 10:38:25
Model: Tapo C510W  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

I'm getting errors on my C510W with bad signal strength and a lot of disconnections.  It only seems to have appeared since a recent firmware update to 1.0.8.

I've recently installed an TL-WA855RE AP in my garage which is showing that the camera is connected to it and initially the signal strength was down to -34.  Monday night it lost connection at around 2am so I had to reboot it in the morning.  This morning the signal strength is at -71 despite still being connected to the same AP right next to it.

Hopefully this can be resolved because I can't have it disconnecting as frequently as it is.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Wifi disconnecting
2023-10-10 11:39:07

Just rebooted it and the noise has dropped and response to returned.

Before

After

Options
2023-10-11 09:12:01

@Paddy99 

Hi,
Please check if your range extender and the wireless router use the same SSID. 
If so, the camera may connect to the range extender with a good Wi-Fi signal but connect to the router with a bad Wi-Fi signal.

You can try to set the range extender to have a different Wi-Fi name from the router, reset the camera, reconfigure it to connect to the range extender's SSID, and then check if the connection will be stable.

Please note that it's recommended to place the range extender in the middle of the camera and the router rather than next to the camera if you want to extend the router's Wi-Fi to the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-11 09:19:50

@Solla-topee 

I did originally place the extender in the kitchen but I was still getting lag and noise. Putting it in the garage reduces the noise the best and does have the same SSID

Options
2023-10-12 09:31:59

@Paddy99 

Hi,
It's suggested to set a different SSID on the range extender from the router so the camera won't switch the connection between the router and the range extender.
And if the camera drops the connection, you can simply verify if the Wi-Fi network of the router and range extender are working.

Best Regards

Options
2023-10-12 09:40:04
I reconfigured the extender last night to a different SSID, reset the camera and I had the same issues again last night despite the strength being good. It does appear to be stable again now but it was dropping from about 3.40am until 9.19am but nothing would have changed at home
Options
2023-10-13 11:32:47

@Paddy99  It's better to verify if the range extender's 2.4G Wi-Fi is working when the camera does not work if the problem happens again.

Options
2023-10-13 11:48:31

@Summer_S 

Definitely, just unfortunately a bit difficult when it's in the early hours of the morning when I'm asleep but have been checking  when it goes down and I'm awake.

Happpened again overnight on the new firmware between 2-8am but solid again since

Options
2023-10-17 11:03:31 - last edited 2023-10-17 11:04:33

@Paddy99  How do you confirm the camera is disconnected between 2-8 am if hard to verify if the Wi-Fi from the range extender is working?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 284

Replies: 8

Related Articles