Tapo c200 rtsp and onvif not working anymore

2023-11-17 07:07:21 - last edited 2023-12-12 07:22:27
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.3.9

Hi everyone

Since 2 days the tapo c200 does not have working rtsp or onvif video streams anymore. It was running since months in blueiris without any issue and then suddenly at 5.00AM in the morning the stream stopped. BlueIris, Ispy nor VLC can get a running stream. I checked I used this information form here https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/2680/ but it is identical to what was working 3 months ago in VLC or non-stop since then in blueiris. I also set a new camera account again but it did not help.

It has the newest firmware on it and auto firmware update enabled so I don't know if the newest firmware has an issue or not.

The error message VLC and all others are spitting out is "cannot connect to ipaddress...". The cam however is working in the tapo app! IP address etc. are correct and as said camera account has been reset but still no connection possible.

Does someone have an idea what the issue could be? It worked flawlessly until 2 days ago.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Tapo c200 rtsp and onvif not working anymore-Solution
2023-12-12 07:19:29 - last edited 2023-12-12 07:22:27

Hi All,

If your Tapo Camera can't be viewed via ONVIF stream after a firmware update, please provide the following information in this thread for further analysis.

1. The model number, hardware version, and firmware version of the camera.
You can find the info on the Tapo app>camera's Device Settings>Device Info page.

2. Please describe your network diagram, such as the internet cable--wireless router)))(((Tapo camera, phones, ONVIF devices, etc.
Please confirm if the ONVIF device is in the same network as the Tapo Cam, and whether they are connected to the same router's Wi-Fi.

3. What app/program(such as VLC, iSpy, etc.) do you use to stream the camera via ONVIF protocol? Please check if you can stream the camera via RTSP protocol.

I'll then escalate the case to the tech team for further help, and I'll update the thread if there is a solution.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo c200 rtsp and onvif not working anymore-Solution
2024-02-03 03:14:03 - last edited 2024-02-05 07:57:28

FOLKS!!! I've figured it out. At, least, this worked for me, it might work for you... i'l post it just in case.

I had a special character in the password '$'. Once i removed that, both V3 cameras connect fine, without issues.

Also found out the tapo series of cams will BLOCK CONNECTION ATTEMPTS FOR 30 MIN if password is entered correctly 10 times. CRAZY! I have never heard of this security feature, i certainly didn't ask for it. I guess theyre trying to protect us from repeated attempts to our cams, but I Don't think TP-Link realise how many programs like scrypted will just continually try to reconnect to a camera, so it will be blocked within a minute.

Meanwhile, the V1 and V2 cameras work fine, within scrypted, with the '$' in the password.I can add and remove V1 & v2 cameras fine to scrypted,

Also, weird, I was able to add the V3 cameras to home assistant without removing '$' from the password, however not to Scrypted. This was my first successful attempt at connecting to these V3 Cameras since i bought them a few months ago! 

but V3 wouldn't work until i removed the '$' .

MY SOLUTION :

Delete any special characters in your cameras password.... 
Or even still, just try a full password change & full config reset.

Your camera might be blocking any attempts - so DELETE it out of your NVR / Security Program / Whatever...  

Now, Wait an hour, reset the camera, give it new username and password, and then set it up in your NVR / Security Program

Recommended Solution
Options
60 Reply
Re:Tapo c200 rtsp and onvif not working anymore
2023-11-20 09:27:12

@firefox7518 

Hi,
Is the computer/device installed with the BlueIris, iSpy, or VLC software connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the Tapo C200? If so, can it ping the C200's IP address successfully?

Can you share the address you used on the iSpy or VLC to stream the camera, we will try to reproduce the issue to solve it if possible.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-20 10:05:08

@Solla-topee 

Yes, the c200 is one amongst a dozen other cams running fine. The c200 gets the correct defined internal IP, gateway seems to be correct too as I can see it in the tapo app on my phone from within the network or outside when on my way somewhere far away. 

I cannot ping it!

I used multiple versions of the connect string like:

- rtsp://user:password@192.168.1.207:554/stream1 in VLC which previously worked

in blue iris the one which was working since months was: 

Blueiris was using auto detection which brought the stream up flawlessly.

I used the info as stated here in this FAQ: https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/2680/

For me it looks like it has an internal firewall activated and does not allow ingoing connections anymore but connection to your TAPO App seems to work correctly as it is outgoing connection

Options
2023-11-21 12:12:24

@firefox7518 

Hi,
It's suggested to check if there are special settings on your router, such as Access Control, Firewall, Isolation, etc., configured for the Tapo C200 cause it can't communicate with the other devices under the same network.
If not, please try to reset the C200 to factory default settings, reconfigure it, and check if it will work with blue iris again.
Best Regards

Options
2023-11-21 12:37:44

@firefox7518 

Well I have over 130 Devices in this subnet, they all work and can communicate with each other, I can fully rule out any router issue, which anyways would not impact the local network communication at all as it is only a gateway. The cam, according to the APP, gets an IP address and as said is working IN the app in the local network and from mobile network on the go!

I already have reset the camera to factory settings and added it back to the app 2 times. It works within the app but no connection anymore to local network. I see it pulls an IP address from the DHCP server but after that it is not pingable, it blocks NMAP scan requests and presents itself as being offline. Only outgoing requests to the tapo app are working.

Options
2023-11-23 10:22:33

@firefox7518 

Hi,
The problem may be related to your network diagram, can you describe your network diagram in detail? For example, the internet cable--wireless router-- APs)))((( cameras, phones, PCs, etc.
Please help check if the Tapo C200 and the computer/device installed with the BlueIris, iSpy, or VLC software are connected to the same AP's same Wi-Fi, whether you can stream the camera successfully and whether the PC/device can ping the C200 successfully.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-23 12:49:26

@firefox7518 I'm having similar issues with a C100, camera account is setup and the ports are open but it won't connect. Ping is working fine too.

Options
2023-11-23 14:36:44 - last edited 2023-11-23 16:30:56

I can confirm the same thing. Not a single thing changed besides updating these cameras firmware.

nmap scan shows the ports are not open and local streaming is not working. All my cams work in the Tapo app.

EDIT: ports are open for a while, but they don't work...

I have an updated C320WS (v1.1.6) and C110 (v1.3.9) that are NOT working.

I held back updating my C210 (v1.3.7) and it's still working as expected.

This is a HUGE issue as it's broken the point of these cameras if they can update and such basic functionality not work properly.

-M

Options
2023-11-23 14:41:07 - last edited 2023-11-23 14:41:27

Also a simple test for the working cam vs. not working cam:

star:~ mattsm$ curl http://192.168.1.118:2020/onvif/device_service
<HTML><head><script language='javascript' type='text/javascript'> function jump(){location.href='http://192.168.1.118/';}</script></head><body onload="jump()">Please wait...</body></HTML>star:~ mattsm$
star:~ mattsm$
star:~ mattsm$ curl http://192.168.1.123:2020/onvif/device_service
curl: (28) Failed to connect to 192.168.1.123 port 2020 after 75007 ms: Couldn't connect to server

The cameras are not responding to requests.

Options
2023-11-24 09:51:49

Hi  @mattsm 
Please describe your network diagram and check if the camera and the device stream it via RTSP/ONVIF connected to the same Wi-Fi network. If so, please check if you can ping the camera's IP address on that device.
And what device/app do you use to stream the camera via RTSP/ONVIF?

Hi @Strickers  
We need more information about the case you report, please help confirm:
1. Your network diagram, such as the internet cable--wireless router)))((( PCs, Tapo cameras, etc. Is the camera and the device stream it via RTSP/ONVIF connected to the same Wi-Fi network?
2. What device/app do you use to stream the camera C100? Please send me a picture showing the URL you used.
3. Do you have a problem after updating the firmware to the new one (1.3.9)?

I'll then escalate the cases to our tech team for further analysis.

Best Regards

Options
2023-11-24 10:00:17

@Solla-topee 

1. Network is Eero, C100 is connected with a reserved IP address. I can ping the camera and have checked the open ports, all is normal there.

2. I have tried a Home Assistant integration and VLC, address is rtsp://user:pass@192.168.86.88:554/stream1

3. Everything was working fine prior to 1.3.9

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5020

Replies: 60

Related Articles