What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?

What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?

27 Reply
Re:What can I do if fail to stream the Tapo camera via the RTSP/ONVIF protocol?
2024-07-15 11:31:18

@MrStreeter 

Hi,
The new firmware of the Tapo C100, C110, and C210 supports the RTSP/ONVIF protocols. In this case, take the Tapo C100 as an example, you can try the following steps and check if they help.
1. Reboot the camera.
2. Reset the camera and reconfigure it, then establish the RTSP/ONVIF connection again.
3. Change the camera account when establishing the RTSP/ONVIF connection for a try.
4. Try to stream the camera on a different app, such as VLC or iSpy.
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-06 00:15:29

@Solla-topee I can view all four of my TAPO cameras (two each of C320WS and C520WS) in different applications with no problem.  But the motion detection data is not available to any of the applications.  The Synology Surveillance Station and the Android app TinyCam both support camera-based motion detection, but neither seem to get this data from the cameras.  Is there a specific port or protocol I need to use to access the motion detection, or is it available only in the TAPO app?

Options
2024-08-06 05:49:15

@Roman_V 

I just got it working with VLC

rtsp://192.168.0.174:554/stream1   etc.

then VLC will pop up a window wanting your username and password,

this is actually the camera name ('Camera1' by default) and the password you assigned to that camera in the mobile app

Options
2024-08-06 09:40:56

@-Rudy- 

Hi,
Does the motion detection feature work fine on the Tapo app?
Best Regards

Options
2024-08-06 11:37:47 - last edited 2024-08-06 11:41:03

Solla-topee wrote

@-Rudy- 

Hi,
Does the motion detection feature work fine on the Tapo app?
Best Regards

@Solla-topee Yes, it works perfectly--vehicle and person detection, tracking, all work nicely. That's one of my favorite features of these cameras.

Synology Surveillance Station has an option to use the camera motion detection but it seems like it is not getting any of the data from the cameras.

The TinyCam app (Android) has an option to use motion detection data but the FAQ says the option is greyed out if there is no detection data from the cameras, which is what I am seeing.

Options
2024-08-08 08:18:56

@-Rudy- 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2024-08-24 11:54:11

Solla-topee wrote

Note: currently, some battery-powered cameras, such as Tapo C420, C400, and D230, do not support being viewed via the RTSP/ONVIF stream.

1. If the camera has subscribed to the Tapo Care service and inserted a microSD card, the RTSP stream can’t be established.

2. Check if the configuration on the camera is correct.

The link below includes some basic parameters that need to be configured on the camera.
How can I connect my Tapo camera to a NAS or NVR?

Note: Try to change the camera account(username and password) if they include special characters.

3. Check your network diagram, and confirm if you are streaming the camera locally or remotely.

If you are streaming the camera remotely, more configurations are required on your home network, for example, open port 554 or 2020 on your router for the camera, and find the public wan IP address on your router.

For example, the typical network diagram of streaming a camera via RTSP protocol on a PC locally: 

4. Confirm the detailed phenomenon on the third-party apps/programs.

For example:
1) Third-party apps/programs are used, such as iSpy, VLC, etc.
2) The URL used to stream the camera, for example, rtsp://IP Address/stream1(For high-quality stream1).
3) The error message that appears if there is one.

5. Try to stream the camera on a PC with an iSpy or VLC program. 

How to view Tapo camera on PC/NAS/NVR through RTSP/ONVIF Protocol? 

Note: If several devices watch the camera simultaneously, close the Tapo app, and disconnect other RTSP/ONVIF connections first.

Please reply to this thread or start a new thread with the following information to get further help if the RTSP/ONVIF stream cannot be established. 

1. The results of the above steps.

2. Collect the camera log if possible.
How to get the log of Tapo Camera?

3. The MAC address of your Tapo camera. You can find the MAC address on the camera’s Device Settings>Device Info page, and please send it to me(@Solla-topee) via a private message.

@Solla-topee 

Options
Related Articles