Tapo C500, C310 ... micro SD card issues

2024-01-28 13:25:57 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:56:33
Model: Tapo C500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello eveyone, 

first of all I would like to say, Tapo series cameras, despite being used as amature products, they are very well build, the overall product look and feel of used materials is very good, nice done TP Link.

I purchsed, 5 pieces of the model C500, and two C310, wireless cameras for my client. 

I used 64GB Kingston, microSD cards, and after 5 days after installation the client stated to complain, that the cameras stopped recording.

I must mention,  I loaded the latest firmware availble. Reinserted and formated the cards as sugested by TP- Link support.

After couple of days the same thing hapens!

After some research on the Internet, I found out, that people are complaining about the same issue! 

I ended up, trying different type of microSD cards like Patriot and Intenso. And same thing is still happening. Some Cameras, start recording after reinserting microSD cards, some need reformating microSD cards.  I tested the cards with hw2test software, again as suggested by TP-Link, and all of them show real capacity.

So, for all of you who are thinking of buying Tapo cameras DONT, except if you are willing to pay for the Cloud Storage offered by TP Link. Which let me think, maybe this issue is created on purpouse, so people will give up trying to setup their  recordings on microSD cards, and just go for the Cloud storage! 

My recomendation, buy CCTV products from companies to whome CCTV is core bussiness.

If you need network products, go for TP-Link.

As I can tell, this issue is old, I found forum threads from year 2020! So this is an old complain, I think TP Link was able to solve this if they were willing to do so, but...

At end I ended up, buying some no name wifi cameras which were much cheaper than Tapo, used the avalible microSD cards, and everythinh is working fine, no complains.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo C500, C310 ... micro SD card issues-Solution
2024-01-29 07:34:04 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:56:33

@dmerdan 

Hi, 
Generally, the different microSD cards inserted into different cameras and work on different usage scenarios will have different performances, the below link includes some parameters of the microSD card that works with our cameras. When the microSD card does not work on the camera, you can refer to the link to check.
General Information about using MicroSD Cards with TP-Link’s Kasa or Tapo Cameras?

If you encounter an issue when using the microSD card with the camera, please provide the following information for further analysis, and we will be glad to help you troubleshoot it. If the problem is on the camera after troubleshooting, we can provide a replacement if your camera is under warranty.

1. Your camera's model number, hardware version, and MAC address. (You can send me the MAC address via a private message.)
2. The microSD card's model, format, and capacity.
3. The usage scenario of the camera, for example, the camera is monitoring the street, etc.
4. The problem phenomenon appears on the camera or the Tapo app.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Tapo C500, C310 ... micro SD card issues-Solution
2024-01-29 07:34:04 - last edited 2024-02-20 11:56:33

@dmerdan 

Hi, 
Generally, the different microSD cards inserted into different cameras and work on different usage scenarios will have different performances, the below link includes some parameters of the microSD card that works with our cameras. When the microSD card does not work on the camera, you can refer to the link to check.
General Information about using MicroSD Cards with TP-Link’s Kasa or Tapo Cameras?

If you encounter an issue when using the microSD card with the camera, please provide the following information for further analysis, and we will be glad to help you troubleshoot it. If the problem is on the camera after troubleshooting, we can provide a replacement if your camera is under warranty.

1. Your camera's model number, hardware version, and MAC address. (You can send me the MAC address via a private message.)
2. The microSD card's model, format, and capacity.
3. The usage scenario of the camera, for example, the camera is monitoring the street, etc.
4. The problem phenomenon appears on the camera or the Tapo app.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo C500, C310 ... micro SD card issues
2024-02-08 04:21:41

@Solla-topee hi,

I am in NZ and I having the same issues. I have 3 c500, 1 c310 and 3 c210. 

all the c500 have this issue. I am using the exact same sd card in all cameras, it is only the c500s that drop the memory card. 

the worst part is that there is no notification of it being hnread either. 

please help. There is not much pointhaving a security camera that does not record when needed. Sine i ha e installed them, i have to check every couple of hrs of they r recording or not. 

Options
2024-02-20 12:03:10

@Adi-NZ 

Hi,
Please help confirm the information listed in the link(https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/652948?replyId=1312864) for further analysis, and you can check if the tips in the below link will help.
What should I do if the SD card doesn’t work properly on my camera?
Please let me know the tips you have tried and the test results if the problem remains.
Best Regards

Options
2024-04-19 09:55:37

@Solla-topee  Hi, I have the same problem. I have two Tapo C500, a Tapo C220 and a TPO TC60. A 65GB class A1 micro SD is mounted above. Only on a C500 the SD card is recognized for a few hours and then I have to extract it and reintegrate it. How can I solve?

Options
2024-04-20 09:29:21

Nowadays a huge number of fake cards are coming from Aliexpress. Such problems happen to them. Make sure you are using a quality genuine product.

Options
2024-04-22 05:45:45

@Adi-NZ  you wont be able to solve it, the C500 is a faulty camera. Tp-Link does cant offer any solution because there is none, the camera its self is a problem. 

They wll just point you to some forum threads, which explains different type of MicroSD anh how to check if they are faulty or not.

But the fact is, C500 has issues!

Options
2024-04-22 05:48:00

@STN I tried Kingston Canvas Class 10, 64Gb, from two different shops. I tried Goodram, Inteso, Samsung, all of which are Class 10. None of them is working. Firmware updates do not help. It is not possible that all of the card I tried are fake or faulty.

C500 has issues and period.

Options
2024-04-22 05:49:54

@Francesco58 you cant, C500 has issues, othe models are just working fine. There might be some hardare issues, micro sd card slot loosing contact with Micro SD card, Tp-Link not willing to solve the issue. 

Options
2024-04-22 12:42:17

@Francesco58  hi, based on the suggestions provided by tp-link, maybe a link to purchase your SD card and a description of the differences between C500 and other camera monitoring scenarios will help to locate the issue......

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1035

Replies: 9

Related Articles