Tapo C220 FPS differ in Live view and Playback

2024-03-10 17:34:32 - last edited 2024-03-31 07:57:18
Tags: #Live View #FPS
Model: Tapo C200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6

Now today while messing around with different settings, I noticed stark difference in FPS in live view and in Playback in Tapo C220. 

Video settings set to 30 FPS. 

When I switch between 2K & 360p stream there is difference of FPS. For instance at 2K only 15 FPS is show in live view (if your camera motor is activated & you didn't waited for “ cool off ” time ~ 2 mins). 

But when you switch to 360p, the live view starts showings 30 FPS. 

Now when you got to playback, full 2K resolution is recorded (in highest quality), irrespective of live stream video quality setting 360p or 2K. 

The issue is in 360p stream 30FPS is shows so the motion is very smooth doesn't feel jittery, but when you see same in playback only 15 FPS is recorded at 2K. Why there is difference of frame rate? 

I've attached video sample comparison between liveview at 360p & playback at 2K (exported in 480p 30FPS to limit size of the video). 

The top video is recorded in Liveview at 360p (perfect 30fps with buttery smooth pan & tilt)

The bottom video download from playback 2K but only 15 FPS recorded, jittery pan and tilt.

HQ Video thumbnail : 

File:
InShot_20240310_225004935.mp4Download
Pari
Options
5 Reply
Re:Tapo C220 FPS differ in Live view and Playback
2024-03-11 11:58:28 - last edited 2024-03-31 07:57:18

@SillyPari 

Hi,
Generally, when a camera's motor rotates, it generates more image data, requiring more computational resources to capture, process, and transmit the images, and it also requires better bandwidth for image transmission, the decrease in frame rate during camera rotation is related to multiple factors such as camera settings and network bandwidth. 
This situation also applies to the Tapo C220. When it has the 2K high resolution and rotates, the camera has to process more complex and larger amounts of data, leading to a decrease in frame rate. On the other hand, when the camera has 360P resolution, it has to process relatively simpler data, and therefore, the frame rate is not affected.

Usually, the Tapo C220's detection and recording features won't be affected by the frame rate. If you have a related problem, please describe it so that I can provide proper suggestions.

(By the way, the video recordings will be stored in the SD card or cloud server at the high resolution 2K in default for the Tapo C220.)

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-11 12:47:06

@Solla-topee 

Makes sense.

But I think the cool off time should be not more than 5-10 seconds. Currently it's more than 2 minutes (Actually varies from 1.45 - 2 min+)

(Cool off time : Time required by camera to again start capturing in 30 FPS after coming to rest)

Pari
Options
2024-03-13 06:18:51

@SillyPari 

Hi,

Currently, after the Tapo C220 V1 camera stops rotating, it takes 90 seconds for the frame rate to return to 30fps (if the camera is tracking an event, the time is calculated from when the camera returns to the default position) considering various factors, for example:
1) After the camera stops rotating, there is a need to process the captured images and make adjustments based on the scene settings, this process requires some time.
2) After tracking an event, there is a high probability of triggering another tracking event within a short time. To avoid frequent switching of the frame rate and the associated time overhead, the cool time has been set to 90 seconds.

Best Regards

Options
2024-03-31 08:12:50

@Solla-topee

Well, it did made since a while ago. But now it makes zero sense. How come camera records two different FPS for two different resolution.

I mean, if the video settings is set to 360p on the video, which only applies to streaming quality not the actual quality which is written in highest settings in sd card (i.e 2K). 

How come 360p being streamed in 30 FPS live and 15 FPS 2K is written on sd card. It doesn't make any sense. Even lets say during streaming there is more load on processor which caps the fps for ONLY 2K, but what about event which recorded during non-live streaming. Why they are capped to 15fps 2K, as there is no load on processor as such. 

I got email from local tapo engineering team, according to them it's get capped for totally different reasons. 

We inform you that camera uses an active frame rate reduction design during pan/tilt/tracking (15fps for C220). The main purpose of this design is to prevent the camera from having too many code blocks in the frame during pan/tilt/tracking

Kindly explain this “to prevent the camera from having too many code blocks”. 

Pari
Options
2024-04-03 08:06:09

@SillyPari 

Hi, 
I tried to search online and found that the camera code blocks refer to the appearance of blocky artifacts or distortions in an image. These blocks can manifest as small square-shaped regions in the image with inconsistent or discontinuous colors or brightness, resulting in a degradation of image quality. 
To ensure the quality of the image, it is desirable to have fewer camera code blocks during the rotation process. 
Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles