Tapo camera cloud server resolution over wan

2024-03-12 20:48:31 - last edited 2024-03-19 07:13:46
Model: Tapo C325WB  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.14

Hi,

I have just switched network providers to a 4g/5g network provider in the UK (smarty, running on the three network) and i cannot connect to the tapo cameras using the app over the wan, but can from the lan.

Switching to my old network provider, they are fine on wan. 

I have temporarily dropped the firewall on my router, but it makes no difference and nor would I expect it to.

I have not captured detailed logs yet from the cameras but wanted to understand.

The tapo camera punches a route OUT over the wan to connect to the tp-link cloud server, correct?

And when I try to connect to the camera over the internet using the smartphone app, that app is also attempting to connect to the cloud server and not direct to my router, hence why generally with the cloud server it is not necessary to configure port forwarding for a route IN to the router (as this is only to consume cameras direct with 3rd party apps using rtsp/onvif).

What is the fqdn/url that the tapo cameras are trying to connect to and does the fact that my new network provider uses cgnat and therefore my wan IP keeps changing mean the tp link cloud server blocks it for some reason?

thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tapo camera cloud server resolution over wan-Solution
2024-03-17 18:11:47 - last edited 2024-03-19 07:13:46

@Solla-topee thanks.

I managed to get ths working without changing anything on the cameras, other than a reboot.

4g APN settings changed on the router, but still using cgnat.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Tapo camera cloud server resolution over wan
2024-03-13 09:45:41

@anonimo 

Hi,
Generally, you can refer to the link below to troubleshoot if you fail to control the Tapo camera.
What to do if I can't control my Tapo cameras on the Tapo app?

The Tapo camera is connected to the cloud server and your phone controls it remotely via the cloud server. In your situation, it may be your new network provider blocked the camera from connecting to our cloud server thus you can't control it remotely. 
You can try to change the DNS server(change to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) on your router and check if it helps. And you can check the route's log to see if it blocks some URLs automatically.

Best Regards

Options
Re:Tapo camera cloud server resolution over wan-Solution
2024-03-17 18:11:47 - last edited 2024-03-19 07:13:46

@Solla-topee thanks.

I managed to get ths working without changing anything on the cameras, other than a reboot.

4g APN settings changed on the router, but still using cgnat.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tapo camera cloud server resolution over wan
2024-03-19 07:14:08

@anonimo Thank you for the case sharing! yes

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 321

Replies: 3

Related Articles