Tapo C210 Onvif Motion Detection Not working

2024-04-02 05:23:06
Model: Tapo C210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.11

I'm connecting the Tapo Camera to a 3rd Party VMS.

Some notes:

- Camera connected over ONVIF Protocol on port 2020 (a bit weird since I think ONVIF protocol is usually over 80 or 8080)

- Motion/Person Detection works fine in the app

- Motion/Person Detection not triggering on the 3rd party VMS

- Live streaming works on 3rd Party VMS

- 3rd Party VMS has an option to manually trigger recording as well as continuous recording. Both option works. It's only Motion triggered recroding that's not working

- 3rd party VMS = Avigilon v7.14.28.4 (It's a commercial product that supports ONVIF Profile S on various other ONVIF Cameras)

- network path = both VMS and camera on the same local flat network under the same router and no traffic is being routed outside, everything is local

- Not sure if relevant, I loaded up Onvif Device Manager and see that all events message have a timestamp of 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z which is consistent with the wireshark capture which I'll paste below

<SOAP-ENV:Header>
<wsa5:To SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="true">http://192.168.86.28:1025/event-1025_1025</wsa5:To>
<wsa5:Action SOAP-ENV:mustUnderstand="true">http://www.onvif.org/ver10/events/wsdl/PullPointSubscription/PullMessagesResponse</wsa5:Action>
</SOAP-ENV:Header>
<SOAP-ENV:Body>
<tev:PullMessagesResponse><
tev:CurrentTime>2024-04-02T04:44:44Z</tev:CurrentTime>
<tev:TerminationTime>2024-04-02T04:53:37Z</tev:TerminationTime>
<wsnt:NotificationMessage>
<wsnt:Topic Dialect="http://www.onvif.org/ver10/tev/topicExpression/ConcreteSet">tns1:RuleEngine/CellMotionDetector/Motion</wsnt:Topic>
<wsnt:Message>
<tt:Message PropertyOperation="Changed" UtcTime="1970-01-01T00:00:00Z">
<tt:Source>
<tt:SimpleItem Value="vsconf" Name="VideoSourceConfigurationToken"></tt:SimpleItem>
<tt:SimpleItem Value="VideoAnalyticsToken" Name="VideoAnalyticsConfigurationToken"></tt:SimpleItem>
<tt:SimpleItem Value="MyMotionDetectorRule" Name="Rule"></tt:SimpleItem>
</tt:Source>
<tt:Data>
<tt:SimpleItem Value="true" Name="IsMotion"></tt:SimpleItem>
</tt:Data>
</tt:Message>
</wsnt:Message>
</wsnt:NotificationMessage>
</tev:PullMessagesResponse></SOAP-ENV:Body></SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

I just recently bought this camera so I have no idea if it used to work or not. I however did see a post where it indicates C100 and C200 had similar issues and that was recently fixed in 2023 September. I am wondering if similar fixes is also applied to the C210

Options
9 Reply
Re:Tapo C210 Onvif Motion Detection Not working
2024-04-03 10:19:27

@crazy_person 

Hi,
The motion and person detection not triggering on the VMS may be related to the time settings. Please help confirm the following information for the reported case.

1. When the camera connects to the VMS via ONVIF, please go to the Tapo app>camera's Live View page to check whether the camera has the correct date and time.
Can you receive the motion or person detection notifications at the correct time?

2. Please check on your VMS to confirm whether its time settings are correct, and if you can configure the camera's time settings on the VMS, please ensure you have configured the correct settings for the camera.

Best Regards

Options
2024-04-03 16:02:42

@Solla-topee 

Thank you for the quick response. I can confirm:

1. The time at Tapo app > Live View does have the correct date and time
  2. I have configured the time settings on the VMS to be the same time as the camera

In fact, if you look back to my initial snippet of the wireshark capture, you will see that the <tev:PullMessagesResponse><tev:CurrentTime> has the correct time. But the <tt:Message PropertyOperation="Changed" UtcTime> is always at 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z. In addition to this, if I were to take a look of multiple events through wireshark, I can see that the Current time does change (as you'd expect), but the Message time is always 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z.

Hence, I was suspecting that the camera always sticking with 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z of the message time could potentially be the problem here and that would have to be corrected by the tech team via a firmware update. I have some background knowledge in the surveillance & security world to know that time is usually the cause of something not working however I do not have intimate knowledge to the ONVIF protocol to know that this is THE cause.

I'm open to any other suggestions that you may have to test/correct the problem.

Options
3 weeks ago

@crazy_person 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Hello!

My problem is the same. With the 3rd party camera system, motion detection does not work, everything else is fine.
please release a firmware update as soon as possible.

Thanks
Options
2 weeks ago

@Sancihun 

Hi,
If you have the same phenomenon, please help confirm the following information on your Tapo app and the 3rd party camera system. And what 3rd party camera system are you using?

Solla-topee wrote

@crazy_person 

Hi,
The motion and person detection not triggering on the VMS may be related to the time settings. Please help confirm the following information for the reported case.

1. When the camera connects to the VMS via ONVIF, please go to the Tapo app>camera's Live View page to check whether the camera has the correct date and time.
Can you receive the motion or person detection notifications at the correct time?

2. Please check on your VMS to confirm whether its time settings are correct, and if you can configure the camera's time settings on the VMS, please ensure you have configured the correct settings for the camera.

Best Regards

Best Regards

Options
Thursday

@Solla-topee 

Hi.

Sorry for the late answer.

Device: TC DVR SS 4508ECO

Techson Smartcenter

The settings is good, its worked until the last firmware update.

The camera time in the monitor is good.

Thank you in advance for your help

Options
Friday

@Sancihun Hi, just double confirm: can you receive the detection notifications on your phone but the detection does not trigger on the DVR?

Options
Friday

@Solla-topee yes

Options
Friday

@Sancihun 

Hi,

I have reported the issue to the tech team, and they will likely reach out to you via email to continue troubleshooting your issue. Please check your email box and confirm.

Best Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 9

Related Articles