C225 camera. Starlight Mode not working after update.

2024-04-09 04:19:31 - last edited 2024-04-19 09:16:46
Model: Tapo C225  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.28

The camera has been setup to auto update and after updating to firmware 1.0.28, the starlight mode sensor stopped working. The night mode is unusable as the IR sensor reflects off the window and all I can see is the glare of the reflection.

The Starlight and IR modes have been intermittently working at night. This evening the Starlight Mode was working then it stopped working and everytime I turned on privacy mode the starlight mode activates and I could see the street then the screen goes bright white and the display is reflected by the camera and a bright light can be seen in the live view reflection on the window from the top of the camera.

The Starlight Mode will not turn on.  I rebooted the camera via the Tapo app.  I then power cycled it. formatted the sd card and removed and re-added the camera, I have changed all settings to test but no fix. I turned on Infrared Mode and then switched back to Starlight Mode.  Still the Starlight Mode or IR will not work.  This is very frustrating since it was working so well.  Could it be a buggy update? Or a faulty camera. I do not see an option to put the camera into day, night, auto mode. Day time the camera is working fine and it goes into the night mode automatically and it intermittently goes to reflected from window and is not useable and now it has totally failed in night mode.Reflection

File:
YouCut_20240409_053223024.mp4Download
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:C225 camera. Starlight Mode not working after update.-Solution
2024-04-16 10:45:52 - last edited 2024-04-19 09:16:46

@SDGTR  @Wana5354 

Hi,
The Tapo C225 V2 does have a highly sensitive starlight sensor so the description on the box is ok.

The camera will switch between starlight mode and infrared mode automatically according to the light conditions in the environment, it's unable to force to use the starlight mode on the camera, however, you can select the "Close"/"Near" option on the Night Mode settings/Night Vision Distance page to use the invisible IR light on the camera to avoid the reflected from the window.

The starlight mode works when the Tapo C225 selects the Auto mode on the Live View page, and the starlight mode works in low-light conditions, if there is no light in the environment, the camera works in the Infrared mode.

On the Tapo C120, turning on/off the Night Boost option means to use the starlight sensor or not, and it allows you to enable or disable starlight mode.

Near View in the Viewing Distance page means using invisible infrared lights. Far View means using visible infrared lights for farther night vision distance.

White Light settings refer to how to turn on the spotlight when the camera works in the Night mode.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:C225 camera. Starlight Mode not working after update.
2024-04-09 15:10:26 - last edited 2024-04-09 15:10:44

@Wana5354 

I have the original V1 cameras, but installed some newere ones for an elderly neighbour who was recently burgled. She has the same problem with glare off the window at night, whereas I do not. Following to see if a solution materialises.

Options
2024-04-09 16:02:26

@Lazza thank you for your message. It will be interesting to see if support could supply an answer. I have just installed a v2 firmware 1.0.4 and there's an update waiting 1.0.7 and I have set the auto update to off and will be testing tonight to see if I get the glared effect on the v2.

Does your camera have a different  firmware compared to your neighbours camera?

I hope support can view the video in my original post.

Sorry to hear about your neighbours being burgled. 

Options
2024-04-10 06:42:57

@Lazza I tested the v2 camera last night and around 9pm the IR kicked in and the glare came back. Only way around this was on live view click the word "auto" and select "day" on the options. 

Tapo needs to fix this as it is not fit for purpose if the night ir is not working. 

Also on the v2 box it says starlight View but no option to turn it off or on.

I had to update the firmware from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7 on v2 but it didn't fix it.

My v1 camera stayed working last night.

🤷‍♂️

Lazza wrote

@Wana5354 

I have the original V1 cameras, but installed some newere ones for an elderly neighbour who was recently burgled. She has the same problem with glare off the window at night, whereas I do not. Following to see if a solution materialises.

Options
2024-04-10 08:26:20

@Wana5354   this thread may answer why C225 V2 does not have the starlight mode option. I think there is not enough light in your environment so even if the starlight mode is selected, the camera will still switch to infrared mode. 
Since the camera live view page is abnormal in infrared mode because the IR LED is reflected by the window, if you do not want to relocate the camera, selecting the Close option on the Night Mode settings/Night Vision Distance page may help, in this case, even if the camera uses infrared mode, the IR LED will not light up.

Options
2024-04-10 08:52:42 - last edited 2024-04-10 08:58:14

Summer_S wrote

@Wana5354   this thread may answer why C225 V2 does not have the starlight mode option. I think there is not enough light in your environment so even if the starlight mode is selected, the camera will still switch to infrared mode. 
Since the camera live view page is abnormal in infrared mode because the IR LED is reflected by the window, if you do not want to relocate the camera, selecting the Close option on the Night Mode settings/Night Vision Distance page may help, in this case, even if the camera uses infrared mode, the IR LED will not light up.

@Summer_S thank you for your response and link, I will try your suggestions and have a read up on the thread you have included. If the box says starlight and the v2 camera does not have this function for any reason then does that fall under false advertising I wonder. But if they changed the setup or functionality of the camera the packaging needs to be updated to reflect this, might be a logistical and costly nightmare. 

Options
2024-04-11 03:46:07

Hi,

@Summer_S thank you for your explanation and suggestions yes

@Wana5354 

Can you share a picture of the box of the Tapo C225 V2 that advertises the starlight feature? I'll check if the related info needs to be updated. Thank you!

Best Regards

Options
2024-04-11 14:12:52

Solla-topee wrote

Hi,

@Wana5354 

Can you share a picture of the box of the Tapo C225 V2 that advertises the starlight feature? I'll check if the related info needs to be updated. Thank you!

Best Regards

@Solla-topee 

Hi, are you saying that the C225 might not actually have Starlight?  It is in all of the marketing and advertising materials on Amazon, B&H, the TP-Link website, and everywhere else it is sold.

I just bought a bunch of C225s and would be very disappointed if they don't have Starlight.  Even on the box itself it says "Superior Starlight Vision with Ultra Large Aperture.  Reveals high-fidelity details in low-light environments with an f1.6 ultra-large aperture."

My model is Tapo C225(US) Ver: 2.6.

Can you please confirm that this does have Starlight?

Options
2024-04-12 11:21:02

@SDGTR 

Hi,
The Tapo C225 V2 supports the starlight vision, and I just want to check if the description on the box needs to be improved, but I think it's no problem now.
Best Regards

Options
2024-04-12 12:58:46

Solla-topee wrote

Hi,

@Wana5354 

Best Regards

@Solla-topee here is the picture of the v2 box and mentioning starlight.

Any suggestions how I can use the camera using the starlight and not IR in night mode without causing the glare from the ir on the wi dow?  Many thanks.

Box for v2

Options
2024-04-12 16:09:33

@Wana5354 @Solla-topee 

Good discussion for a somewhat confusing feature.

Can someone clarify exactly how Starlight is supposed to work on the C225 V2?

I don't have any option to enable or disable it.  In the Video & Display settings the only thing I see for night vision is a setting called Night Vision Distance.  Inside that setting I have two options - Near and Far.  

Nothing about Starlight.

My initial understanding after watching a few videos and reading through info I found is that in order for Starlight to work, the camera has to be set to either Day mode, or Auto.  In Day mode Starlight will automatically turn on when the level of ambient light is low.  In Auto mode, same thing, Starlight will turn on when the ambient light gets below a certain level, BUT, if the ambient light gets too low the camera will then switch to Night mode which automatically turns on the IR lights and the image switches to black & white.

Is this correct or should I be seeing a specific setting for Starlight somewhere?

Also, in a slightly related way, on my C120s under Video & Display I have a setting called Night Vision.  In that setting there is something called Night Boost which can be set to on or off.  The setting has a description/explanation which says that it's a ColorPro Night Vision with starlight sensor.  I'm assuming this setting allows you to enable or disable Starlight.  Is this correct?

I don't see anything like this in the C225 so is it just automatically enabled in the C225 V2?

Below that Night Boost setting in the C120 there are two other settings:  Viewing Distance (options are Near and Far), this is the IR light setting, and another setting called White Light Settings.  I have no idea what this setting does.  Can anyone explain what this does?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 875

Replies: 11

Related Articles