All TAPO devices.

Camera C210

Camera C110 x2

Camera TC60

Doorbell & H200 hub

Smart switches x3

L510B & L510E x6

Smart plug with energy monitoring x1

Yeah, this is a massive oversight on TP-Links part.

Where I am in the UK we get power outages at least twice a year, plus the internet will randomly go down too.

When this happens, nothing works. NOTHING.

In the case of just the internet going down:

Internal network can be working, but you can't connect to anything because the app requires the devices to be seen on the internet. Doesn't matter that you're on the same network and standing next to the devices. Everything shows as offline. When the internet connection comes back up, don't expect the devices to show up anytime soon.

When the power goes off for a few mins. Very much the same. You can turn the lights off and on again and think they'll reconnect to the wifi... nope, no idea what they are doing.

What about the Hub? Well, you can see it, because it's connected by ethernet, but it can only see the doorbell and that's it. Do the buttons work? nope, not in any meaningful way, as they cannot control the lights that are now unreachable.

2 hours 30 mins later... still nothing works.

EVERY. TIME.

A suggestion would be:

• Get the devices to check much, much, muuuch more often to see if they can connect to the network, then further onto the internet.
  • Also not require the internet if you're on your home network.
  • Have the hub take command of the tapo devices if you have a hub. Especially useful if you change your wifi router, as then you shouldn't have to reset every single device, delete them from the app, and re-setup them all.

I am really upset at having spent a good chunk of money on these, but more so that I recommended them to a family member, who is having the same issues.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Power/internet outage causes everything to fail
2024-05-01 15:54:55 - last edited 3 weeks ago

@technobug 

My P300 for example acts like a teenager when the Internet is down: "don't even talk to me!".

It could be so easy if the app would talk directly to the devices and the devices report their status to the cloud if possible. But nope, the P300 is grayed out in the app.

It would also be great to be able to reboot all Tapo devices, not just the cameras.

Options
Re:Power/internet outage causes everything to fail
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@technobug 

There is a reconnect mechanism on the Tapo device, devices can restore WiFi or cloud connection no matter there is power failure or network fluctuation. And Tapo device supports local control. Your case seems quite special. 

To help with this case, can you share your network topology here? What router are you using? Please provide a simple drawing or describe it as clearly as possible if you own a big network. 

What's the model and Android/iOS version of your phone? Will the local control failure also occur on other mobile devices?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 169

Replies: 2

Related Articles