Tapo Doorbell

Tapo Doorbell

Tapo Doorbell
Tapo Doorbell
2024-05-13 02:07:21 - last edited 2024-05-13 12:28:47
Model: Tapo D230S1  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just recently bought the doorbell and was wondering how to improve the connectivity/ network strength. Basically I am experiencing the following issues:-

1) Occasional lag when viewing the Live View

2) Network issue when trying to review playback and download. 

3) video is not captured when there are persons detected, or the most the video is only about 1 to 2 seconds long. not long enough to see who the person is at the door.

I am also not sure if the micro sd card write speed affects the above issues. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this? I have already changed a number of video doorbells and I was hoping TP-Link would be better, based on the reviews I have read so far. the RSSI ranges from -65 to -71 and 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Tapo Doorbell
2024-05-14 09:40:34

@Clarinat 

The network quality where the camera is located can affect the stability of the device connection and viewing via the app. Besides signal strength, it's important to consider if there are other high-traffic activities on the network. Viewing the camera during these activities might lead to slow or even failed connections, especially if you're trying to access high-definition live views.

Additionally, the network situation of your mobile device shouldn't be overlooked, especially when remotely managing the camera (e.g., using mobile data). Unstable signals, VPN usage, or device lag (due to aging hardware or running too many apps simultaneously) can also impact the smoothness of viewing the camera feed.

When it comes to the doorbell detection feature, there are two important points to consider.

First is the detection settings of the doorbell: since the device is battery-powered, it remains mostly in sleep mode, only waking up when motion is detected through the PIR sensor, when someone rings the doorbell, or when live viewing via the app. Therefore, it's essential to adjust the doorbell's wake-up sensitivity, person detection sensitivity, and verify the correctness of the activity zone settings.

Second, because battery-powered models rely on the PIR sensor to wake up the camera, the installation position and angle can affect the detection performance. In your case, where person detection is required, improper installation angles may prevent the camera from recognizing people, leading to failure in triggering detections (video recording). This article may be helpful for you, take a look: How to Install and Configure Battery-Powered Cameras for Optimal Detection Performance

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:Tapo Doorbell
2024-05-14 10:12:10

@Clarinat this was exactly what mine was like, unfortunately the only thing that helped was wiring the hub to the router with ethernet cable, or having the hub literally right next to my router if on wifi

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 255

Replies: 2

Related Articles